Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Currently serving on Active Duty as an Air Force PMEL Technician (although I have high hopes to change AFSC's in the near future). I am originally from Utah and currently stationed in California.
I have a 95 LC that is my daily driver and our family camping rig. I haven't been on the forum for long but have been around off-road 4X4 Toyotas my whole life. I am grateful for all the information I have received from this website and the plethora of knowledge you all share. I look forward to meeting more of you as time goes on.

To all who have come before me, Thank you for your service, your commitment and dedication to our nation, and the development you have given to those coming behind you.

Here's some photos of my rig and a few of my older rigs that have been sold.
98 4Runner, armored, supercharged, loved
15 Tundra- great truck but currently selling to fuel my addiction to the cruiser
and then some shots of the Cruiser in Utah and in Norcal

4R Mud.jpg

LC Bowman.jpg

LC St George.jpg

Tundra Grouse Ridge.jpg

Currently serving on Active Duty as an Air Force PMEL Technician (although I have high hopes to change AFSC's in the near future). I am originally from Utah and currently stationed in California.
I have a 95 LC that is my daily driver and our family camping rig. I haven't been on the forum for long but have been around off-road 4X4 Toyotas my whole life. I am grateful for all the information I have received from this website and the plethora of knowledge you all share. I look forward to meeting more of you as time goes on.

To all who have come before me, Thank you for your service, your commitment and dedication to our nation, and the development you have given to those coming behind you.

Here's some photos of my rig and a few of my older rigs that have been sold.
98 4Runner, armored, supercharged, loved
15 Tundra- great truck but currently selling to fuel my addiction to the cruiser
and then some shots of the Cruiser in Utah and in Norcal

View attachment 2177670

View attachment 2177671

View attachment 2177672

View attachment 2177673
Travis or Beale?

I’m at Travis as well, so let me know if you wanna grab a beer and y’all cruisers.
Sounds like a good time to me. I actually am the president of the Off-road Club on base and we have quite a few Cruisers on base. We'll have to see if we can get a trail ride together sometime soon

Reactions: MrK
Hi @Tommysosa, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. Good looking cruiser.

Larry in El Paso

I will slide in here. I am Marc. I did 4 years in the army in the way back 79-83. Spent 2 of those years in Germany. I remember the post Vietnam days when the troops were not well loved. I am glad for the young guys that it has changed. Anything that can be done to reduce soldier suicide should be done as well. I own a 200 series and a FJC . I have a pic of the FJC in the FJ forum. The 200 goes well off road though.

Hi Marc @Whiskerz , welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. I remember those times and I too am glad for today's.

Larry in El Paso

Hey Guys, welcome to the forum @Tommysosa and Marc @Whiskerz and thanks for your service to our great country.

Thanks guys

Well, why not? I always enjoy the company of fellow vets. I've been on Mud as M5Driver since Dec 2007. I've been inactive/lurking for a few years, due to travel, other commitments, health, etc. but think we're finally more or less settled in retirement :rolleyes:

My service was with the Army, from 69-72, slick sleeve to Spec5, ASA, 98G...Russian lingie. VietNam era, but not a Viet vet. My single overseas tour was Diogenes Station, TUSLOG Det 4 (Sinop, Turkey). FWIW, I saw more war and armed conflict as a civilian than I did as a soldier. After the Army, I finished University, then had a good 34 year career, mostly overseas.

The Blue Mule is a 78 FJ40, which has undergone one partial restoration, and is about due for some serious body work (rust! - I'm shocked, I tell you. Just shocked!) 😱 and maybe a repeat frame up resto. You can read about the earlier resto here: Blue Mule resto in Malawi The Mule is more or less stock, but I have replaced the seats with something more comfortable than the originals (including passenger seat adjustment), and had IPOR install FJ60 power steering and Vintage Air a/c prior to taking it to Togo in 2011. These last two items are important, due to advancing age, and the heat and humidity of West Africa. The Mule is still a daily driver, although miles driven tends to be rather low at the moment - it's mostly used by :princess: to take our three Aussie Terriers out for their morning run/rabbit hunt.

That's about it for now. My name is Dan, and when I'm not busy with other things, photography is my chief passion. You can check out some of my work at Dan Slaven . I'll post a few more current pics of the Mule as soon as I find some. We just moved in to the new property and things are still a bit disorganized.

Last edited:
Hi Dan, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. I was a 35K/35P (Avionics) 33S school and then got out. I didn't make it to Nam either but did visit Korea and Germany for fun and games.

Larry in El Paso

Anyone else wonder what we’re welcoming them too? There’s no activity here. I wish there was.

Hi Ed!

I hope things have fully turned around for you by now. I’m sorry I haven’t been more engaged with you... I’ve been busy offline lately.

Regarding your observation... “Anyone else wonder what we’re welcoming them too? There’s no activity here. I wish there was.”.

When Jeff (@Chungas Revenge) and I set up this forum, it was with the hope that this could become a sort of clearinghouse, for veteran related information, assistance, history, events, etc.... e.g. all things veteran... including non-vet members, with veteran ancestors.

Jeff ultimately dropped off MUD, as a result of personal issues that arose, not MUD-related.

I carried on as moderator and continued to post veteran-related information that I thought might be of interest... until it became apparent that the country I have always loved was no longer the country I have always loved.

I will always stand up for people who are, IMHO, discriminated against.

I grew up on our Southern border and have a completely different perspective than a lot of people. I spent much of my formative years with mis amigos, brown, black and red, much of it on two reservations. I am also part American Indian.

I tried, several times, to engage on P&R, but found no real interest to seriously try to “come together”. Those experiences colored my view of many of my fellow Americans.

Eventually, the final straws fell, here on the highway... I mentioned them HERE, my resignation is posted HERE.

Again, the Highway is here...just waiting for someone to finish paving it.

Cheers, my friend!!

I don’t think it’s about a moderator, veterans just need to use this forum.

Welcome @MrK and @M5driver. Thanks for your service.

My hat is off to Danny and Jeff for their work in setting up this part of the MUD forum. Surprising how many of us Cruiser owners are veterans. I think it is the attitude "we will get through" regardIless of the obstacles in our way. Having said that and in reply to @Big Ed I find myself just wanting to be left alone. I saw heavy combat and really enjoy just talking to folks on this forum occasionally. A while ago I joined some of the vet groups and was a founding member of the VN Helicopter Pilots Association but have never been to any of the annual meetings. Just don't want to be in a high noise environment. My family and I enjoy just being together camping, boating or other quiet pursuits. I enjoy this forum because it is quiet and educational. Woody and his mods have done an excellent job in keeping this forum so inviting.

Hey guys!
My name is Matt. I served 13 years between active AF and Oregon ANG as a Crew Chief on the F-15 A/C/D and E models. I worked on the flight line, phase and Alert.

After I separated in 2017 I went back to school for welding where I received multiple certifications. As luck would have it, my brother introduced me to Jason at Trail Tailor. Thanks to my good looks and persistent demeanor, I was able to talk him into taking me on as his welder/helper. And if everything works out as well as I am hoping, I will be an official 60 owner here real soon.

Cheers

Hi Matt, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. When you get the 60, post a picture or it didn't happen :) .

Larry in El Paso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom