Welcome f*%#en home!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do it right away. This isn't an expensive job. I hired a guy to do it, some company in Vancouver, he came to my house in MR, put the tint on, beautiful job and decent price.

It is one job I wouldn't do myself as I am too damn fussy about glass and bubbles.

From my experience they or their friends are likely to come back for the replacements. That's why I suggested waiting and giving them a chance to see nothing is in there - then get the tint put on. The three successive break-ins really hurt the pocket book. After the third, the Blaupunkt stereo was not replaced. In its place went a cheap crappytire radio. I was a slow learner. :meh:

I did like the 'security' system that was featured in a commercial in the movie RoboCop.

Only leave stuff in your vehicle that you don't mind being stolen. I'd guess they went for the tools and other 'loose' stuff then went for the stereo while they were there. Dark window tints send a clear message that something valuable is hidden inside. Car alarms that send off a very loud piercing noise are one of the best deterrents.

Only leave stuff in your vehicle that you don't mind being stolen. .... Dark window tints send a clear message that something valuable is hidden inside. Car alarms that send off a very loud piercing noise are one of the best deterrents.

The idea is to have nothing in there in the first place. The damage caused getting in and ripping out what they want is often more costly they what the bastards steal.

Car alarms are next to useless unless you have a cop around the corner. I had a car with a car alarm and that didn't deter them from getting what they wanted. The name of the game is smash, grab and go.

So far, the only vehicle I have had that has not been broken into yet is the Safari. It also happens to be the only one which had / has blackout tint and you can't see past the buckets from the front windows. I think most thieves are lazy and will not waste time and the chance of getting caught for what might be there when there are thousands of cars out there with a clear view of what's inside.

Only leave stuff in your vehicle that you don't mind being stolen. I'd guess they went for the tools and other 'loose' stuff then went for the stereo while they were there. Dark window tints send a clear message that something valuable is hidden inside. Car alarms that send off a very loud piercing noise are one of the best deterrents.

In my experience, car alarms are ignored by most everyone in the city. There are far too many going off due to passing Harleys, lawn mowers, loud vehicles.....

As for dark tint, I installed this for the temperature reduction factor with the added bonus of interior privacy for traveling, sleeping, theft...

As for dark tint, I installed this for the temperature reduction factor with the added bonus of interior privacy for traveling, sleeping, theft...

.....looking like a pimp machine:grinpimp:.....will look cool with the spinners I will soon be getting from steve.......

In my experience, car alarms are ignored by most everyone in the city. There are far too many going off due to passing Harleys, lawn mowers, loud

What part of "very loud piercing noise" didn't register. Of course a normal car alarm is useless. I'm referring to high frequency and 120dB, painful, damaging noise that will make the thief leave and can't be ignored.

What part of "very loud piercing noise" didn't register. Of course a normal car alarm is useless. I'm referring to high frequency and 120dB, painful, damaging noise that will make the thief leave and can't be ignored.

I guess, John, the very loud piercing noise part.

I want the trunk monkey alarm system!

I should have stayed in Edmonton. GRRRRR!!!

I couldn't imagine staying in Edmonton for more than 3 weeks. Four days was more than enough for me.

Bad news

It makes you feel stupid for doing all that custom work. Just got my Icom 7000 out of the shop, $550.00 for repairs after the battery incident, a week later at my girlfriends place they busted the drivers windows and ripped of the radio, my Tablet PC, and all my hiking gear, etc. ICBC tells my they don't like ebay receipts, and won't cover anything.

Garry

I guess, John, the very loud piercing noise part.

In high-school in my first car, I installed a fire alarm (you know the $10, 9 volt ones) and rigged a pressure switch under the driver's seat to the 'test' button. Quite effective; couldn't stay sitting in the car, that's for sure. Of course my first car was rusted beater that no one ever tried to steal it anyway....:rolleyes:

It makes you feel stupid for doing all that custom work. Just got my Icom 7000 out of the shop, $550.00 for repairs after the battery incident, a week later at my girlfriends place they busted the drivers windows and ripped of the radio, my Tablet PC, and all my hiking gear, etc. ICBC tells my they don't like ebay receipts, and won't cover anything.

Garry

OUCH!!
That's not funny
GG

Garry

Ouch Garry (and you to Mat).

Garry. Ask them what "would" make them inclined to cover those modifications. Time to dig a little deeper and see what "is" in the fine print and covered with your basic insurance.

Garry
I'm so sorry to hear that Garry, When I went into ICBC (after bending over for a bit) they told me they will cover anything that is BOLTED to the truck, that includes any equipment that is mounted in a bracket that is bolted to the vehicle, key thing being that you need tools to remove it. They also told me that they will cover only up to $1000.00 for communications and stereo equipment, no matter what you have for receipts $1000 is max. If you want anything else then don't even bother going through them and deal with your home insurance. A receipt is a receipt, regardless if it's from a store, e-bay or a scribbled out piece of paper from a private sale. Do the math which way makes sense first, home or ICBC. In the end you'll have what I do now which is between the two $800.00 or more in deductible and some head aches.
As for the custom work, I guess in the end you just have to remove as much as you can every time you leave the vehicle, the custom work is for you, not anyone else. It's too bad a bunch of prick feel like destroying what you made but like with mine, I'll do it again and install the equipment but I'll put in some extra "security" features this time.

they told me they will cover anything that is BOLTED to the truck, that includes any equipment that is mounted in a bracket that is bolted to the vehicle, key thing being that you need tools to remove it. They also told me that they will cover only up to $1000.00 for communications and stereo equipment, no matter what you have for receipts $1000 is max.

Did they say anything about being able to buy additional insurance to cover custom installation items or additional electronics? Or, I wonder if some of the private companies will do that. Next time I have to renew I'll ask.

IIRC they'll cover up to $5K in additional equipment. After that you can add insurance for all your extra stuff (like Mat says, it has to be bolted down). It was prohibitively expensive though.

I highly recomend instaling a tape deck, no better anty theft then that :hillbilly:

Does "zap straped" count as "bolted down"?

I highly recomend instaling a tape deck, no better anty theft then that :hillbilly:

Does "zap straped" count as "bolted down"?

Yes, it does, at least in the eyes of Johnny law. You can zap strap your license plate on where the law states 'no bailing twine or wire' my be used to afix any part to your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom