Weird Electrical Problems in the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last night my 80s dash lights lost power while driving. I then pulled over to investigate and stopped the engine and when I tried to start it up nothing it didn't even try to crank. Luckily I had my jumper cable battery pack with me and started it back up but the dash lights were still dark. I suspect this happened because I was using my newly installed squadron sport lights and turning them on and off for passing cars. Although this has happened a few times before installing the lights. It happened to my dad while driving to Lake Tahoe, he turned on the brights and everything went dark for about 5 seconds. It seems to happen when load is put onto the system but it couldn't be the battery because its happening while driving right? I'm going on a wheeling trip next week and really need to get this fixed before taking it to remote places.
Thanks for the help
James

New Info - The fuse responsible for the dash lights is working because I still have taillights and license plate lights which are all powered by the same 15amp fuse.

Last night my 80s dash lights lost power while driving. I then pulled over to investigate and stopped the engine and when I tried to start it up nothing it didn't even try to crank. Luckily I had my jumper cable battery pack with me and started it back up but the dash lights were still dark. I suspect this happened because I was using my newly installed squadron sport lights and turning them on and off for passing cars. Although this has happened a few times before installing the lights. It happened to my dad while driving to Lake Tahoe, he turned on the brights and everything went dark for about 5 seconds. It seems to happen when load is put onto the system but it couldn't be the battery because its happening while driving right? I'm going on a wheeling trip next week and really need to get this fixed before taking it to remote places.
Thanks for the help
James
Hey @JamesStuart11, It would be very strange that the Squadron Sports are causing this issue as they only pull around 2.2 amps per light. Is it possible that your battery or alternator may be going out?
Best,
Brandon

Year model?
Any t-shooting done? Even the simple stuff like thoroughly cleaning/wire brush the batt terminals and clamps and ensuring nothing stands out in visual inspection of wiring that you can see.
Checking the obvious grounds in the engine bay.
What's the batt voltage at rest? What's the alt voltage?
Have you penetrated/picked off of the OEM harness/fuse box to power anything not OEM?

Hey @JamesStuart11, It would be very strange that the Squadron Sports are causing this issue as they only pull around 2.2 amps per light. Is it possible that your battery or alternator may be going out?
Best,
Brandon
It’s definitely not the fault of the squadrons but it seems to be a connection of pulling amps and the car going dark. Even though they only pull a few amps

Year model?
Any t-shooting done? Even the simple stuff like thoroughly cleaning/wire brush the batt terminals and clamps and ensuring nothing stands out in visual inspection of wiring that you can see.
Checking the obvious grounds in the engine bay.
What's the batt voltage at rest? What's the alt voltage?
Have you penetrated/picked off of the OEM harness/fuse box to power anything not OEM?
96 Land Cruiser
I haven’t checked any voltage of anything yet but the battery voltage meter on the dash sits at about 13 even when the car won’t start so maybe that is broken as well. I’ve checked all fuses and anything obvious that I’ve thought of and not found anything. Haven’t done and fuse box wiring. My Baja designs lights are ran straight to the battery with a fuse from their included wiring harness

96 Land Cruiser
I haven’t checked any voltage of anything yet but the battery voltage meter on the dash sits at about 13 even when the car won’t start so maybe that is broken as well. I’ve checked all fuses and anything obvious that I’ve thought of and not found anything. Haven’t done and fuse box wiring. My Baja designs lights are ran straight to the battery with a fuse from their included wiring harness
Ok, what appears to be 13 on the dash voltage gauge is good.
A voltage measurement at the batt tho is still necessary. Both running and at rest (more than 30 min after runtime).
How do you turn on and off the BD lights?

Ok, what appears to be 13 on the dash voltage gauge is good.
A voltage measurement at the batt tho is still necessary. Both running and at rest (more than 30 min after runtime).
How do you turn on and off the BD lights?
Ok I’m going to have to dig through my garage to try and find a voltage meter so it might take a while. So you’re saying measure the battery while the engine has been running for 30mins? BD harness has a switch on it that I replaced with and oem style Toyota switch

Ok I’m going to have to dig through my garage to try and find a voltage meter so it might take a while. So you’re saying measure the battery while the engine has been running for 30mins? BD harness has a switch on it that I replaced with and oem style Toyota switch
lol yeah if you want a chance at fixing it I guess.
No. Meant a measurement of the batt when running.
Then separately, a measurement of the batt when the truck is 'cold', either roughly 30 minutes after runtime or any given time if its not a daily.
And this measurement can done twice, once with all loads attached, and once without. (looking for parasitic draw)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom