Weird clanking noise in the front end at startup. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

6GL

Threads
Hello, need some help identifying an issue. I have been plagued with this issue for over a year and no luck locating the source of the problem.

I have a 96 LX450 with a weird slapping sound in the front end of engine on startup. It lasts for a few seconds then dissappears, only happens when vehicle is parked for a few days. I feel like it has something to do with the oil delivery. But I am not certain. The sound is random not consistent. No performance issues. Drives fine, no engine vibration. No check engine light. I have tried using a stethoscope but no luck.

But before I go into further detail. How do I post a video file so you guys can listen in on the sound.

Last edited:
You will have to host the video on a site such as you tube or Vimeo and link the video here in text body to share

Ok, i just opened a youtube account but an error keeps popping up when uploading to try again later. So please stay tuned.

Link not working.

From your description it may be the common timing chain rattle that occurs on start up, more pronounced the longer the engine hasn't been running.

You're assumption is correct, oil leaks down out of the oil galleys and the oil filter while the engine is off so when the cold/dry engine is started it takes a couple of seconds for the filter and galleys to refill and get pressure to the timing chain tensioner which then takes the slack out of the chain.

If that's the issue you can try a (high quality) smaller size filter, heavier oil weight, or even a 90 degree oil filter adapter which keeps the filter full while the engine is off.

If the noise is more than a rattle, loud slapping, then something worse might be going on.

That sound isn't engine-speed related.
Sounds like the timing chain tensioner not 'tensioning'.
But no guarantee. Hard to tell from video.
OEM tensioner is a ratchet type.
There are other, cheaper types, available. Spring-load for example
The tensioner can be removed and examined.
Reference OEM service manual.
Could be timing chain itself with a wonky link, suggesting time for a timing chain replacement.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. I will look into those.

I changed the tensioner sometime last year to what toyota had on the parts list. Hydraulic I believe.
I use Castrol GTX high mileage synthetic blend 10w30.
Oil filter I use K&N HP-1008 or Denso (oem) 150-2010.

I have about 255k miles on this truck Headgasket was done around 239k few years ago.

I guess I should drive this more often so oil does not settle at bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom