Weatherstripping...need input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parameters:

1. New to me 1978 FJ40
2. Front and rear door weatherstripping is shot
3. Needs some body work and new paint
4. Paint will not happen for +- 1 year

Should I:

A. Go OEM knowing I will have to rip it all out
B. Silicone the doors shut and crawl in through the window;)
C. Pickup the "All 4-Door" kit from CCOT for $80 knowing the general opinion of the quality.

Opinions? Other options?

Thanks

Depends on your truck...if you are going to do it up nicely, I would contact CDan and get all OEM weatherstripping.

If it is going to be a beater and you do not want invest much...I would head down to you local auto parts store and size up some generic weather stripping. Probably cost you about a third of the online FJ suppliers.

Doc

I agree, if you are going eventually pull it out with intensions of doing some class A work in the future just buy something to seal the doors for now. That is what I did but it does leak in the rain some lol! But hey it is a Fj40 not a Porche:)

Parameters:

1. New to me 1978 FJ40
2. Front and rear door weatherstripping is shot
3. Needs some body work and new paint
4. Paint will not happen for +- 1 year

Should I:

A. Go OEM knowing I will have to rip it all out
B. Silicone the doors shut and crawl in through the window;)
C. Pickup the "All 4-Door" kit from CCOT for $80 knowing the general opinion of the quality.

Opinions? Other options?

Thanks

Should have added that I am looking for a temporary solution until new paint. I will replace with OEM post paint.

Did a bit of looking at generic weather stripping and nothing looked like it would not be a PITA. Plus it was not that cheap when I added up the required amount for all 4 doors.

If you are looking for a truly temporary solution, just buy household foam weatherstrip (Like the stuff for screen doors) with the self adehesive backing.

I used it for years back in the day when FJ40s were not collectible and considered "cool". It works great unless you are in an area where it freezes as the foam will get a bit wet.

It serves as a nice cheap solution while you get everything together for the complete redo.

Doc

It works great unless you are in an area where it freezes as the foam will get a bit wet.

Colorado = freeze :)

That is why I have not gone that route. The PO did and it is all jacked from the winter. I don't mind spending the $$$ for the CCOT as a temporary solution, I am just hoping someone can tell me if it would be better just gluing the doors shut.

The 'all 4 doors' kit from CCoT is fine for the front side doors - no issues there. The gaskets (as part of that kit) for the rear ambulance doors are a disaster - totally inappropriate - they're the same as the front door stuff. They're perhaps slightly better than nothing - but only perhaps.

I might just buy generic for now, and park the truck inside or with the rear end downhill to prevent water from dripping in and running around the inside floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom