water pump pulley help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A light when off reading your last helpful post. At least I understand how I got here. This is a new-to-me vehicle so all work is that of a PO. What I know is the engine is a 03 or 04/77 block in a 1972 pig. Now I further realize, I removed a pump and pulley intended for a clutch and matching fan. Instead of a Toyota clutch and fan, the metal fan was used. The hub on the old metal fan had four radiating mounting holes to compensate.

You are correct. From where I am now, here's how I finally understand my choice. Return pump and fan, keep pulley, then source clutch-type pump, clutch, and fan. Or keep what was sent to me, and source pulley. It boils down to sourcing a unicorn pulley vs. buying more parts to add a clutch.

you may want to measure very well and make sure a fan clutch and fan cluct fan will actually fit and not hit the RAD ?

owning a vintage toyota always involves purchasing new and updated parts ......

this is what i call a Pursuit of happiness :)

Measured the total stack height of the pump, clutch, and fan on the FJ40 to be 8". I have about 8.5" on the 55 between block and rad. I don't believe the fan grows 1/2" axially with rpm. Don't think alternator is an interference as it appears the fan would actually move forward into the shroud.

Not sure the fan clutch is worth that much more. Maybe for the reduced noise at highway? Not concerned about hp drag. Leaning toward finding a pulley and keeping what I've got.

Measured the total stack height of the pump, clutch, and fan on the FJ40 to be 8". I have about 8.5" on the 55 between block and rad. I don't believe the fan grows 1/2" axially with rpm. Don't think alternator is an interference as it appears the fan would actually move forward into the shroud.

Not sure the fan clutch is worth that much more. Maybe for the reduced noise at highway? Not concerned about hp drag. Leaning toward finding a pulley and keeping what I've got.

I've been through a few water pumps, and a few engines in my '74 Pig. Started with the Late F, now an early 2F. No oil cooler, never a fan clutch.
I usually get my water pumps from Napa. They usually come with the fan clutch flange. I just swap the flange. Sometimes it takes some fiddling to line things up. There were spacers in some of the 2-groove pulleys. Helped you adjust things.
I've heard (never verified) that there is less room on a 55 than a 40 between block and fan. Never seen a Pig with a fan clutch.
I've run water pumps with the oil cooler water outlet and without. They all fitted.
I'm running a Top Hat pulley and a plastic fan (originally a 4 blade metal fan).
I've got about 8 1/2" between front of block and radiator, about 1 1/2" between fan and radiator.

20220704_101657.jpg

20220704_101700.jpg

20220704_101830.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom