Was stuck in mud. Now a squeal. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend I drove on the soft shoulder of a farm road and ended up getting stuck in the mud. The two passenger side wheels got buried up to the top of the hubs, while the two left were still okay on the hard pack. (Why locking the diffs didn't let the two good tires pull me out I can't figure)

After getting winched out and home, I pressure washed about twenty pounds of mud off the skidplates and from inside the wheels, wheel arches, and around the brake calipers. But now there's a slight sqeal when I drive at low speeds. I'm guessing I've got some mud/grit in the calipers. Will this resolve itself, or do I need to take the wheels off and clean out the brakes?

Thanks

PXL_20210215_005158939.jpg

After getting buried in muck like that I would totally take the wheel off at a minimum, spray it down and hit it with some cleaners.

When you say you locked the diffs, are you saying you have aftermarket front and rear locking diffs? Or did you just lock the center diff?

That would explain why only the 2 tires were spinning.

Next time you get stuck like that use Crawl control, it probably would have got you out of that.

Had the same problem with one of my 4runners after having too much fun. High pressure wash behind wheels brake components should solve the problem. Probably still have dirt stuck there. Spray, drive, spray again.

I have learned that a combination of pressure washer and regular hose does a heck of a job getting all the mud out. Last serious wheeling trip I went on my wheels looked like mud pie and I had serious vibrations from the amount of mud getting home. Pressure washing got 90% off I'd say, then went back with the regular hose and got almost everything else off that was stuck in the calipers and what not that just needed steady water flow to get out and not pressure.

Would also check belts and alternator. Get that mud outta there.
x2, went through a big puddle at HiH and had a nice shriek until I removed and cleaned the serpentine belt.

Last weekend I drove on the soft shoulder of a farm road and ended up getting stuck in the mud. The two passenger side wheels got buried up to the top of the hubs, while the two left were still okay on the hard pack. (Why locking the diffs didn't let the two good tires pull me out I can't figure)

After getting winched out and home, I pressure washed about twenty pounds of mud off the skidplates and from inside the wheels, wheel arches, and around the brake calipers. But now there's a slight sqeal when I drive at low speeds. I'm guessing I've got some mud/grit in the calipers. Will this resolve itself, or do I need to take the wheels off and clean out the brakes?

Thanks

View attachment 2591162
I absolutely love the smile on the older gentleman’s face. Seems like a really nice man.

That is buried enough that even axle diff locks might not get you out. They are awesome but do still have traction limits, especially without mud terrains.

Thanks

View attachment 2591162

That is a fantastic picture. As everyone else said pop the wheels and hose it down. Garden hose will work you don't need the full blast from a pressure washer. Great picture still looks like a good day.

Agree with everything posted already. A nice trick in the field if you have a rock or debris stuck in your caliper or brake shield is to get a little speed in reverse and slam on the brakes to dislodge the debris. Works pretty well but may take a few tries to knock it loose.

<UPDATE>

I found a tire/brake shop with an outdoor lift. Got the truck six feet in the air, took off the wheels, and went town. First a screwdriver to chip away the dried mud. Then compressed air to blast out the chunks and dust. Then removed the skid plates and got even more tonnage out. Finally, hosed the entire underside. There was mud and pebbles caked in every single suspension joint. Just so much mud. For good measure I hit it with a foam cleaner and even flushed out the frame rails and rinsed off the engine. It's like new under there now. The squeal was probably from mud caked between the back of the discs, and the dust cover inboard of the discs. Got it all put back togeether and the squeal is gone.

<UPDATE>

I found a tire/brake shop with an outdoor lift. Got the truck six feet in the air, took off the wheels, and went town. First a screwdriver to chip away the dried mud. Then compressed air to blast out the chunks and dust. Then removed the skid plates and got even more tonnage out. Finally, hosed the entire underside. There was mud and pebbles caked in every single suspension joint. Just so much mud. For good measure I hit it with a foam cleaner and even flushed out the frame rails and rinsed off the engine. It's like new under there now. The squeal was probably from mud caked between the back of the discs, and the dust cover inboard of the discs. Got it all put back togeether and the squeal is gone.
Good to hear, After I buried my 200 to the frame, I spent almost $40. at the car wash and the attendant was giving me the stink eye the entire time LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom