Was looking for a Cross slide vise, but found an older HF mill/drill machine instead!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The M2 collets are in and ready to go. Ebay purchase, nothing too crazy expensive but will get me going in the right direction. :bounce:

1615328458255.png
1615328479961.png

all right!

Great, now it's time to practice carving the MUD logo with your mill... freehand... !

now I'm wishing to lathe something round out of this thing..... :hillbilly:

So now that you have a better and safer way to hold cutters (end mills). You might consider conventional milling. I highly recommend this for small bench mill/drill. The lack of rigidity and possible backlash in your table screws can result in a poor quality cut (vibration) or worse tool breakage. On your final pass of say 1-2 thousands, you can Climb mill for a better finish.
For slots, I recommend Plunge milling to produce the main slot, then finish the clean up using Conventional milling pass. Start your slot by plunging, then overlap 1/3 and rinse and repeat until you have the profile you're after.

Climb milling vs. Conventional milling
page24image1385535136

Climb milling vs Conventional milling
Depending on the direction in which you move the workpiece against the end mill you are either climb milling or conventional milling. As shown in the illustration above, you are climb milling when the end mill turns as to climb the slope made by cutting.
Climb milling has several advantages, and is often recommended for modern milling machines. The flutes dig in to material with a climbing action, and the workpiece and rotation of the cutter are going in the same direction. With this forward stroke the tooth starts with a full chip and pushes the workpiece down against the table or holding device. This requires less machine power, the cutter does not dull as soon, and a better surface finish is produced.
However, climb milling requires a very rigid milling machine with virtually no backlash. Because the workpiece and the milling cutter are moving in the same direction, the milling cutter tends to pull the workpiece away from the driving device if there is any backlash. This can overload the cutter and stall the machine. Or it can simply leave a poor surface finish.

Plunge milling
Plunge milling is the same action as drilling, but using a center cutting end mill instead of a drill bit. This is how you start a slot that does not extend to the edge of the workpiece.
Some end mills are center cutting. This means that one of the cutting edges on the end of the end mill extends across the center of the end mill so that there is a cutting edge for the full diameter of the end of the end mill.
Non–center cutting end mills have cutting edges on the end, but they do not extend to the center. These end mills will cut on the end and can be used for slotting and surfacing, but you cannot plunge a non–center cutting end mill straight down into the workpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom