Warn xd9000i gamble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: I went ahead and purchased, and now I figure I use this as a build thread with updates along the way.

Original Post:
I’m looking at buying the winch in the tittle. Advertised as having a bad solenoid for $250.

Curious if this is a good deal? Looks like if just the solenoids it wouldn’t be too bad to fix.

Last edited:
I’m looking at buying the winch in the tittle. Advertised as having a bad solenoid for $250.

Curious if this is a good deal? Looks like if just the solenoids it wouldn’t be too bad to fix.

That winch costs $1,300+ new, so yeah, a decent deal if the motor and gears are still good. You can bypass the solenoids and jump the motor directly with a battery and jumper cables to see if it's good.

If it were mine, I'd replace all the solenoids with a single Albright contactor; much more reliable.

Thanks. I found some videos of YouTube overhauling them and seem easy enough. My concern was having to put more into it than it’s worth and then facing the wrath of the wife

Good news: solenoids test good.

Bad news: won’t free spin and found a nice surprise in the gears!

67CC40CC-8F03-4917-B4D2-00795EC34622.jpeg

1556536E-7E5E-481F-BB1E-3DFE2492692C.jpeg

Not sure what you decided to do, but I have rebuilt winches in worse condition. These gearboxes are brutally tough. If you can get it apart and you don't have several broken teeth in a row, you are good to go in my book. Same with the motors. Some scotchbrite to the commutator and contact cleaner the rest of it, and I bet that motor will run fine.

Haven’t put anymore money into it yet. I cleaned the motor up and the brushes fell apart. Brake assembly is seized inside the drum. The middle ring gear had a couple busted teeth and the sliding gear is seized in the housing. I started looking at what it take to install new parts and I think I should’ve passed.

The brake assembly can be hammered out of the drum from the gearbox end. Don't worry about trying to get the hex shaft out. When it starts to clear the other opening, put a hose clamp on it to hold the brake shoes on the shaft.

Soak the gearbox in a bucked of your favorite solvent. Odorless mineral spirits are cheap. Leave them in there for a few days. They will clean up.

The sliding gear and the housing it is in can be bought as one part # for not a lot of money, and it comes with a new freespool lever. (I will buy your old freespool lever off you if you do this.)

The big ring gear can also be bought, but if the teeth aren't all in a row, I wouldn't worry about it.

The brushes fell apart or fell out of their locations and are still attached? The can be put back. they are held in with spring pressure. Without the commutator they have nothing to hold them in place.

Don't give up yet!

Does that brake design match up to the xd 9000 parts diagram? That looks like an older design...

I’m looking at this site that seems to be good source. Brake looks the same to me 🤷🏾‍♂️

I’m looking at this site that seems to be good source. Brake looks the same to me 🤷🏾‍♂️

Glad to hear it. It just looked different than what i am used to, but I’ve never worked on a XD9000.

That is a great source. Email them if you have any questions. Scott has helped me a ton with my winch builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom