Warn XD9000i rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all, I just started a rebuild on a sweet Xd9000i. Tearing it down and evaluating now. Can’t wait to see where this takes me.. Anyone else running this winch??

3229CDBA-C189-419E-B8EA-50738571148F.jpeg

72617F09-A698-4216-8E07-0B6C178FCB8C.jpeg

I've had one of these sitting in my shop for a few years and I'm finally getting around to fab'ing the mount and installing the thing. I'm interested in what you find once you open it up.

Greetings all, I just started a rebuild on a sweet Xd9000i. Tearing it down and evaluating now. Can’t wait to see where this takes me.. Anyone else running this winch??

View attachment 1889635

View attachment 1889636

I have two XD9000I that I have had for over 20 years. Great winches and even after hard use at times they have never let me down. I have rebuilt the one on my 40 and the one on my Z71 I haven't rebuilt it yet. I bought it new in 1993 and it is still going strong. :hillbilly:

I picked up a used xd9000i a while ago and it's on the front end of my Jeep JKU. When I first picked it up I ripped it apart and cleaned it up. I learned the hard way not to remove the brake from the drum without securing it so that it wouldn't unwind. Recently ripped it all apart again, replaced the brake, gaskets and re-greased it. I learned a lot about it. I found the service manual online and a couple of other online resources and videos. The service manual really helped out. The first time I didn't use ep moly grease so it made it too sticky to easily free spool. This time I cleaned all parts really well, used Klondike EP#2 Moly grease on all parts and as the service manual says, don't use grease on the outer side of the sliding gear, use a light machine oil otherwise free spooling can be a bear.

IMG_0963.jpg

Looks great!

I hopefully am picking one up tomorrow very cheap and not sure of internal condition. But i know it needs a controller, and I plan to break it down and go through it. I have watched several YouTube vids and feel like I can do it , but my main question is where do y’all go for parts, and what parts do y’all replace seal wise when break y’all’s open? Thanks.

For parts I went to a local off road dealer as I try to give my business to the little guy, brick and mortar store rather than to the big box or online. If I do go online then there's always amazon or northridge4x4.com.

This is the gasket kit for the housing. Warn Winch Housing Gasket

I found the service manual here...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiTrdmR8-TmAhXOBc0KHca-BsMQFjAFegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rolo4x4.com.br%2Fmanual-4x4%2F26%2Fmanual%2B4x4.html&usg=AOvVaw0Tp6ng34Ydy9IFrT2jkTL_

Thanks so much! I got the winch and it’s in better shape than I was expecting. Free spool worked good. Waiting on new batt cables and controller to try out the function.

FA198DF4-B2C4-456B-9470-0258CA6B3B68.jpeg

I picked one up recently and put it on my Slee bumper on my 80. Picked it up dirt cheap so I'm swapped to a synthetic line. Can't wait to get try it out.
20220226_173822.jpg

Rebuilding mine is on the list. Never done one before.
Got it with my 80. It’s laying down in the bumper, tjm don’t know to much about it yet. I hooked it up and it works!
No line on mine, planning on doing synthetic as well. Any prep to drum for synthetic? It’s bad but it is a lil rough.

Just clean it up and sand down any nasty spots. If its good enough for your bare hands its good enough for rope.
Paint or PC also helps fill irregularities.
Rebuilding mine is on the list. Never done one before.
Got it with my 80. It’s laying down in the bumper, tjm don’t know to much about it yet. I hooked it up and it works!
No line on mine, planning on doing synthetic as well. Any prep to drum for synthetic? It’s bad but it is a lil rough.

Just clean it up and sand down any nasty spots. If its good enough for your bare hands its good enough for rope.
Paint or PC also helps fill irregularities.
This!

I cleaned up the drum on my two warn 8274 and the key is No sharp edges anywhere, especially when using synthetic rope…I spray painted em both as well

Thanks fellas!
Any special techniques for attaching to the drum? I recall some people wrap the first run in tape or something. I was talking to some jeep friends about it a long time ago. Something to do with keeping it cool from the second run and marking it to not let the first run off the drum. Idk
Also what length should one get?

Alot of ropes have a heat shield already on them. I personally can't wrap my mind around the need, but thats just me.
Look at the "grabber" for securing the rope.
The Grabber - https://www.bubbarope.com/the-grabber
Warn also offers a syn line drum attachment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom