Warn M12000 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to get the rewinding procedure from a very reliable source. Here's what he told me to do.

1. Hold lower cone with left hand and slide spring onto the protruding shaft. The pointy part of the spring should point up.
2. place the upper cone (narrow side down) onto the spring, putting the point of the spring in the hole on the upper cone.
3. slide the smaller circular piece with the dog ears (wings) on the splines of the shaft. Align so it fits together.
4. Clock that piece two teeth to the right (about 8-10 degrees). The dog ears of the smaller circular piece will now be offset relative to the dog ears of the upper cone.
5. put washers and snap ring back on
6. Turn upper cone 180 degrees clockwise. Hold while putting the 3 brake pad pieces around the cone.
7. While holding everything together, put the assembly back into the drum. When the drive shaft turns, it will expand the brake assembly and lock it into the drum, allowing the drum to turn with the drive shaft.

Pieces of the Brake Assembly

20130210_131745

Picture Showing Proper Offset of Dog Ears

20130208_221812

Great write up.
Just to add a further note, I have just done the same to my Warn HS9500. Exactly the same procedure with the exception of point 6 where I had to rotate 360° not the 180° (at 180° the brake would only just scrape and not hold).
It could down to a weak spring?
Worth experimenting if you dont get a brake on just one twist.

Wrap Up

I thought I would wrap this project up with a post on some of the final steps I took to get this winch up and running, and installed on the truck.

While I was [very] slowly working my way through this winch rebuild project, I phoned Southeast Overland with some questions and their opinion on the accessories I needed. I talked to Steve, who was awesome and took time to explain my options. They carry some very high quality products. With Steve's help, I ended up with 100 feet of Amsteel Blue Rope with a Excel Hook. I also added a 100 foot sythetic extension line, and rounded out the order with a few Van Beest Shackles, snatch block and an offset Hawser Fairlead for my ARB Bumper. Here are the goodies.

Winch Accessories

Looking at the electric motor as I was ready to install it, I had a nagging concern that a few nicks I made in the varnish during my initial cleaning with a wire brush may have compromised it. Note to self, do not use a wire brush to clean an electric motor. :doh:

Not wanting to have gone this far, only to install a damaged motor, I went ahead and re-varnished the motor windings on the top and bottom, and also filled the spaces in the rotor area, where there had been varnish, but now was missing in some areas, exposing what looked like more windings underneath. It took a lot of taping off to get the varnish where i needed it, and not where I didn't.

If you can get away with a simple wipe down, stop there. My motor was very dirty and needed a lot more than that. After the wire brush fiasco, I had good results using a very fine grain sand paper. Anyway, here's a picture of the finished product.

New Varnish on Electric Motor

After a bench test on the motor to make sure it worked (it did), I put everything back together, noting the clocking of the gear end as well as the control box, per the direction of a previous poster (thanks iptman!). Since I was working alone, I used two ratchet straps and a jack to lift up and align the winch in the bumper. It is a VERY TIGHT fit. My biggest problem was the control box getting jammed. I probably could have removed the box and installed it after the bumper was bolted up, but I was able to get it through with some effort. Here are two pics; one showing the orientation of the clutch and control box, and the other showing installation from the font.

Top View: M12000 in ARB Bumper

Front View: M12000 in ARB Bumper

Now, that's a wrap!!! :cheers:

The winch has been on for over a year. In that time, I have only done a couple of hard pulls on it, but I re-spool the line about once a month. It still runs smooth and free-spools easily. Since I live in a mild climate, I don't think I need to change out the grease at this time, so instead I decided to do a little upgrade.

I added a battery cut off switch ( Blue Sea M-Series model 6006) and also changed out the standard 2 gauge power cables and replaced these with 1/0 gauge.

Pardon the dust...I just returned from camping in the Desert. :)

Winch Cut Off Switch and Winch Cable Upgrade

Winch Cut Off Switch and Winch Cable Upgrade

Thanks, I got a M12000 yesterday, I think,... , seems greased and fine, wired different so thinking about testing or rewire like diagram.

Here are the manuals, very nice job to take apart (not like birfs or brake disk, tierods :D )
My problem is the American size bolts, if you have Europen tools beware, allen key, bolts: all that "funny" size :hmm: :lol:

Warn MIL 12000 winch PDf service repair manual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D936 ... xkbFU/view

Warn manual 6 page introduction:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D936 ... sp=sharing

Warn basic guide to winching:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6D936 ... sp=sharing

file.php

file.php

file.php

Nice learning and with online help I made this test thing, I will try to repair one solenoid but the albright contractor seems the only proper way:
file.php

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Great thread. Curious how noisy the m12000's are supposed to be? I bought mine new, have used it for some good hard pulls and submerged it more than a few times. It makes lots of noise but seems to work fine. Cant remember what it was like when I first installed it. Wondering if it is time to pull it ap[art for some TLC. Thanks!

I service mine every two years, if it gets submerged for any period of time it comes appart to remove any water that has gotten in and re grease.

Would rather spend $15 on seals and grease every two years than be stuck with a non working winch when it's needed.

ok thanks. I dont usually pay attention to other people's winches but had a few comments on how loud mine is....made me think its time for some TLC.

Thanks for this write-up. I also have a M12000 and a full teardown, powder coating and rebuild is on my short list. My front bumper is screaming for New powder coat and hardware, too.

Brake Rewinding Procedure

I was able to get the rewinding procedure from a very reliable source. Here's what he told me to do.

1. Hold lower cone with left hand and slide spring onto the protruding shaft. The pointy part of the spring should point up.
2. place the upper cone (narrow side down) onto the spring, putting the point of the spring in the hole on the upper cone.
3. slide the smaller circular piece with the dog ears (wings) on the splines of the shaft. Align so it fits together.
4. Clock that piece two teeth to the right (about 8-10 degrees). The dog ears of the smaller circular piece will now be offset relative to the dog ears of the upper cone.
5. put washers and snap ring back on
6. Turn upper cone 180 degrees clockwise. Hold while putting the 3 brake pad pieces around the cone.
7. While holding everything together, put the assembly back into the drum. When the drive shaft turns, it will expand the brake assembly and lock it into the drum, allowing the drum to turn with the drive shaft.

Pieces of the Brake Assembly

20130210_131745

Picture Showing Proper Offset of Dog Ears

20130208_221812
Big thanks for the brake procedure. Just got me out of the poo

Just putting my M12000 back together to line up with cut outs in my bullbar. Noticed that the gearbox is now on the opposite side
Is this going to cause issues with the brake or rope direction? Or have I botched it completely?
Thanks

Back together minus motor
20191030_163122.jpg

When I first bought it
IMG-e33db272c43829572988bd262bad4b0a-V.jpg

Noticed that the gearbox is now on the opposite side
Is this going to cause issues with the brake or rope direction?
Thanks

Don't know about the brake (on planetary winches), but if the direction is reversed, all you'd have to do to fix it would be to switch the field cables on the motors, or the in and out wires on the controller.

Hmm, this thread is making me think that it's time to drop the winch and tear into it. I bought it new in '99 and never opened it up :bang: But, I also don't treat my vehicle like an amphibious assault vehicle and go swimming!

My M10,000 winch is also quite noisy as compared to a 9.5XP but I guess that's normal, from what I read up above. It works just fine and has never let me down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom