Warn M12000 convert to synthetic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to convert to synthetic line, looking at the options. Warn really wants a premium for their Spydura line, wow. It looks like I need a 3/8" line and there are a number of other options on Amazon, with a higher load rating than the Spydura. Any recommendations out there for alternatives? Or is this one of those, spend the money and get the right stuff questions?

I've put several heavy loads on my $100 amazon 3/8" synthetic line in the last year. Its a wear item though so keep it clean/covered when not in use and replace it when it starts to look ragged. I run a warn winch but the warn spydura rope is priced out of my range for something thats going to get used and replaced every few years.

Synthetic winch line is available from many manufacturers. I like Amsteel Blue. There's really no magic here. Change the roller failrlead to a hawse fairlead, and spool on the new line.
As mentioned, winch line is a wear item. I've gone through 2 steel cables, and am going to purchase my 3rd synthetic this spring.

I would also be very careful purchasing off brand winch line. IMO, this is not something to cut corners on. Sort of like seatbelts, a single failure could be a bad day.

Last edited:
Compare it against what you can get from southeast overland or other reputable vendor, and see if prices are comparable.

I actually didn't realize there was a Winching and Recovery subforum, nice. For the price and at least a couple decent reviews, I went ahead and ordered the Ranger 3/8x100 winch rope off Amazon. The 20k rating is well in excess of my winch's capacity, it has a UV cover and an abrasion guard, and I'll use my own hook and shackle. I'll definitely report back once it arrives with some pics and how the install went.

I actually didn't realize there was a Winching and Recovery subforum, nice. For the price and at least a couple decent reviews, I went ahead and ordered the Ranger 3/8x100 winch rope off Amazon. The 20k rating is well in excess of my winch's capacity, it has a UV cover and an abrasion guard, and I'll use my own hook and shackle. I'll definitely report back once it arrives with some pics and

Last edited:
Doesn't mean he's making a 24k pound pull.

Just food for thought. :rolleyes:

I think I'm hungry.

And hard to imagine I'd be making a 24k lb pull. Even stuck in the mud (which I avoid like the plague) my own rig won't approach that. I think.

The first thing I did before installing my VR 10 was switch out the metal rope for Amsteel.

Last edited:
Have amsteel blue on my m12000 (more than 10 years now). No problems with it and it beats wire rope when you are in the snow...

sn6.jpg

Easy to just wrap around the roobar for the next use versus having to wind it all back in each time.

sn7.jpg

The fairlead was in good condition (smooth, no nicks from wire rope us) but I since moved to a hawse.

cheers,
george.

^^^

I agree with @woodsman 44 there's no need to knowingly use a 'weak link', especially when winching. It's already dangerous enough, even with all the right stuff.

He sure could with a snatch block, so whats your point smart ass?

:clap:

My point is that the paranoia from the web wheelers on this site never ceases to amaze me.

But whats YOUR point oh sageful 'Mud member, should he go to 7/16" line to have enough safety margin for you to not make an unhelpful and ignorant post? You realize that no one sizes their winch rope (or cable) off of theoretical ratings in a snatch block recovery, right?

Last edited:
Not sure what the snatch block and 24000lb discussion is above.

If you run the winch rope through a snatch block back to the vehicle, the line sees only the winch load (12000 lb let's call it), the winch sees 12000lb and the shackle/fastener for the end of the line sees 12000lb. The total force pulling on the vehicle is 24000lb. The strap/rope that goes from the snatch block to the tree etc will see 24000lb, it's only that line, the snatch block and fasteners that need to deal with 24000lb.

cheers,
george.

^^^

Ah, good point. I did not take that into consideration. @george_tlc is correct.

A strong argument for checking the attachment points we use and have on our vehicles.

Very good point. I'm actually a stress engineer but that goes a long way back and memory has faded. Been doing software for much longer. I've got a 30k tree strap, so my snatch block is definitely the weak link here. Might need to upgrade that at some point.

Following up, the Ranger line is really nice and includes a tubed and gusseted thimble. I completed the conversion this afternoon and I'm very happy with the results. It was a little more of a project than I planned, but the line was perfectly suited to the Warn replacement.

IMG_6210.jpg

Looks nice. BUT (just in case you are tempted), those hi-lift adapter jack points on your ARB are *NOT* intended to handle winching loads (where you two shackles are attached).

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom