warn industrial severe duty 24v winches... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm, I'm curious about the motor rating. The 2.5hp motor caught my eye, as the 12V 8274 has a 4.6 hp. But the 24V 8274 has the 2.5hp and a faster pull!?!

How does a motor rated at a lower power pull stronger? Is the voltage not factored into the rating? (i.e. 24V 2.5hp = 12V 5hp?) But power is the product of voltage and current draw..... arrgh!

I don't know if a 73 series would need the same winch as HUMMVE.
How much do the series 9 pull? If I needed to winch every day maybe I would consider it,but the 8274 has a good reputation.

Peter I bought an 8274 and rebuilt it, when I did I waterproofed it - sealed it up basically. I am also going to relocate the solenoid pack to under the hood to get it out of the weather.

I had the 8274 completely stripped apart and must say that it is built with big gears - very strong. That being said, I think they are an old british design and the quality seems british - or USAish if you know what I mean - there are alot of areas that should be sealed on them and the design could be better - sealed brake etc. But as far as pulling and simplicity and strength I think the 8274 is the way to go.

Louis,
another item to consider is putting a drain plug in the bottom and a filler in the side. you are supposed to change the oil but i have never seen anyone do it....
i did this on the tractor's 8274 since it sees quite a bit of abuse and mud.

easy to do.

Hi Wayne,

I plan on doing a bunch of stuff to it this winter, drain and fill plugs, breather tube, compressed air, free spool lockout, brake shaft c clip replaced with bolt, 6hp motor, might even run 24 V through it. Going to experiment basically.

I can see changing the oil every year as these aren't sealed very well. The older motors are punched full of holes and places for just rain water to soak in.

The freespool shaft on mine was seized as the shaft is steel in an al. housing - dissimilar metals is not a good thing. I freed it up, put a new o ring on it and used brake caliper grease on the shaft - good sticky stuff that doesnt ruin rubber o rings. I also reamed out the hole the shaft slides through so there isnt as much contact between the 2 metals.

Going to wrap my new 3/8's synthetic on in right now. People say that synthetic can slip - so I did a double clove on the drum and slipped the rest through the hole and tied a not in it - it should tighten up pretty good on the drum now.

I think the guys in Aus pressurize them or push air through them to keep them cool when they are working - through motor and case.

I saw it on the outerlimits board, just type 8274 into the search - those guys are hardcore about thier 8274's - they find them the best for their competitions. They also mod the s*** out of them - freespool actuators so you dont have to get your winch handler to come back to the truck - good idea eh - could be air actuated as well.

Hot rodding a winch, eh? Hmmm...

<harp music and blurred vision moment>

...And over here we have the Binford 2000 series 8274 winch. Its got 36 HP, 25 metres per second line speed, kevlar reinforced bullet proof synthetic cable, and a espresso maker with built in bean grinder...

<back to nagging wife reality>

-kevin

[edit] removed as not related to Severe duty 24V winches....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom