Warn 8274 vs. M8000: Bang for the Buck? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering purchasing one or the other. Found the 8274 for roughly $1485 and the M8000 for $489. I've always wanted the 8274, but wonder if it is really worth the huge price delta for the average 40 owner who doesn't compete and may only use it a few times a year at most? The M8000 seems to have a good reputation, but I would like to hear an opinion from those that are "in the know".

j dont know anything about 8274 other then the specs i have seen about line speed etc. but have never heard bad about them. if i could get one cheap i would jump on it but for now my M8000 works fine. got my M8000 from a buddy for $200.00 used and has yet to let me down. i figured a winch is better then no winch. it all depends on if you got the coin laying around. if i did i would buy the 8274 but for that money i figured i could buy a few M8000's. and i figured that as long as i can get unstuck speed didnt really matter to me. the other thing to think about is the amount of winch cable the 8274 has 150ft and mine has 100ft. (some have less) but around here there are lots of trees to hook to.

Thanks Gunman. Not really wanting to drop the coin on the 8274 if the M8000 is a good alternative for the $$. I don't plan on buying more than one in this lifetime so I want it to be the right one the first time.

Bang for the buck, no question (in my mind) that the M8000 is a better value new, and I currently own one of each. Having said that, the 8274 is a far superior winch IMO, heavily built, and underrated for its nominal spec of 8000 lb. The trick is, to buy an older 8274 for $200-300 and rebuild it yourself. Not that hard to work on (there are some great threads here on Mud in the Winch sub-forum), and for a little bit more money than a new M8000 you will have the king of winches. It's a big mother though and won't fit on every truck - is perfect for a 40 though.

Last edited:
1911 said:
Bang for the buck, no question (in my mind) that the M8000 is a better value new, and I currently own one of each. Having said that, the 8274 is a far superior winch IMO, heavily built, and underrated for its nominal spec of 8000 lb. The trick is, to buy and older 8274 for $200-300 and rebuild it yourself. Not that hard to work one (there are some great threads here on Mud in the Winch sub-forum), and for a little bit more money than a new M8000 you will have the king of winches. It's a big mother though and won't fit on every truck - is perfect for a 40 though.

I agree. If you search around enough you'll find out that the 8274 is a very popular piece. Definitely find a used one and rebuild if necessary. I was lucky and found one that came off a department of tourism truck (hardly used) for $400. No way I'd pay full price for one though

8274. I had an old Belvue (sp) which is the original spur gear design before Warn called it the 8274 and it looked as if it had gone through several wars (probably did) and it was the greatest winch I have ever had.

I think of the winch as a tool. You are a Ryobi or Craftsman guy and understand value and performance go hand in hand, however the contractor chooses Milwaukee, Bosh, Dewalt or HILTI because they simply work and are proven...not occasional use stuff.

I use hydraulic now but that is an entirely different thread.

If you every contemplate putting a saginaw power steering conversion, the 8274 is the way to go. It's offset and allows for the steering box on the inside of the driver's frame rail.

Don

the m8000 will work there also. theres enough room for the steering box

I have both , but they are 24V .

I have a M8000 that has several hundred hours on it .

I have an older 8274 that has been upgraded and works well

As posted above the M8000 is great value and probably all you need.

Whatever winch you get ; it is always agood Idea to get a cover for it when not using.

Last edited:
I agree. If you search around enough you'll find out that the 8274 is a very popular piece. Definitely find a used one and rebuild if necessary. I was lucky and found one that came off a department of tourism truck (hardly used) for $400. No way I'd pay full price for one though

So you're the one who got it! I called about it, but by that time, it was too late:eek:.

Nice score!!

Justin

Thanks guys. Will probably end up going the new M8000 route as it is likely all I will need and the other grand can go for a few other things on my Cruiser list. It's probably like everyone elses list...long!

So you're the one who got it! I called about it, but by that time, it was too late:eek:.

Nice score!!

Justin

Guilty as charged haha. I found it strange that I stumbled across it like 3-5 days after it had been posted and it was still for sale.

Bang for the buck, no question (in my mind) that the M8000 is a better value new, and I currently own one of each. Having said that, the 8274 is a far superior winch IMO, heavily built, and underrated for its nominal spec of 8000 lb. The trick is, to buy an older 8274 for $200-300 and rebuild it yourself. Not that hard to work on (there are some great threads here on Mud in the Winch sub-forum), and for a little bit more money than a new M8000 you will have the king of winches. It's a big mother though and won't fit on every truck - is perfect for a 40 though.

I agree 100%. I run 8274s on my Scouts and they have dragged me up mountains and out of mudpits for what seems like centuries. I also run an 8000 on a small pickup and it's never failed me. Rebuilding an 8274 is the way to go. That's how I got my first one back in the early 90s and it's still going strong.

My 8274 that I got used is on it's 3rd truck in my hands. Who knows how many before that. By the serial number it was built in 1991. Not too bad.

With that said, the M8000 is better than any of the cheapy imported winches, will work for most things, and is close to 50 pounds lighter than the 8274.

Last thing to consider is that the 8274 holds 150 feet of cable and the M8000 holds 100feet.

While the 8274 is a much better winch, an M8000 is way better than nothing, and will likely be all you ever need.

My 1st winch was aM8000 & got it back in the mid 80's & used the crap out of it. I was the only 1 w/a winch so it was used heavily. There were a couple of times the cable wasn't long enuff, but with a little creativity it worked. A friend bought it from me a couple of yrs ago. I hadn't used it for yrs, because I bought a used 8274 back in the early 90's for $400. It worked fine but needed some work. It's just a different critter in comparison to the M8000. I did purchase the new style 8274-50 back when they were selling for around $900 & put the old 1 on my other 40. The 8274 is the winch for a life time. I have a friend who purchased his in the mid 70's, he has a cover for it so it looks like new & it runs like new.

x2 - just picked up an 8274 (vintage 1979) fully functional for 300 - just need to replace some 33 year old wiring and do some cosmetic cleanup. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom