Warn 8274-50 Solenoid Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
I just bought an 8274-50 here on Mud, but it appears that it may have a bad solenoid. The motor will spool out, but only clicks when I spool it in. I've cleaned the connections and still no luck. There is surprisingly little info on the Web about the newer 8274-50 wiring.

So, this issue would most likely be a bad solenoid, correct? If so, how do I know which one(s) it might be bad? There are four:
IMG_8330.JPG

This is the 5-wire connection diagram. Let me know if you need the 3-wire.

warn wiring diagram 001.jpg

Last edited:
Check all of your connections.

Was this sold as fine (scam?)
Check the solenoid (was also in the link given above), I have done more work since and all pdf is here Warn M12000 winch PDF bumper, air & original jack - hj60.freeforums.org
But after reading many stories about spooling in and locking up resulting in melted batteries and fire I replaced with albright.
A winch is just 2 fat +/- wires and 2 thin +/- wires, and 1 wire to spool in and 1 to spool out.
If you test spool on the bench just watch out: can pull your hand straigt in, scary stuff.
file.php

same test below but many words:
file.php

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Before I look into going with the Albright (which looks like a really good option), I want to establish what the issue is.

I removed and cleaned all four of the solenoids last night. When I reassembled everything, it briefly worked properly and went back to clicking. Thinking it was a bad connection or ground somewhere, I removed every connector again, cleaned it, and reassembled. Now, it will spool in intermittently, but clicks most of the time.

I'm trying really hard not to get pissed, since I just bought this winch from another mud member.

Question is, can a solenoid work intermittently?

Absolutely. I worked cranes for many years and 12V and 24V relays are notorious for intermittent issues.

Question is, can a solenoid work intermittently?

If you want to just spool in find the good spool out and replace with the bad one (test with the continuity test) and have intermittent spool out (spool out is mostly used in downhill braking) I mostly use manual spool out as it is faster, attach cable and spool in.
But imagine if the spool in locks up and keeps spooling in, it is described in many forums and many languages, all that nicely and secured cables have to come loose in seconds.
I use two high amp manual switches, one in engine bay and one next to the winch for safety if anyone manages to get stuck in the cable.

This weekend attached the cable with trailer plug and extra led worki light, :
4 wires: - minus / + plus / >spool in / <spool out
file.php

Last edited:
Also always be prepared to pull the clutch lever while winching to disengage the drum. Gives you a few more seconds to get the battery disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom