Wannabe Rock Crawler/Camping Rig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test fit
tempImageyhGmmk.jpg

Finally chopped the frame rails for better clearance to take advantage of how I designed the bumper
tempImagemJJWfv.jpg

And done!
tempImage28rskK.jpg

Then it was time to do these again
tempImage9AgUql.jpg

and found some rear bumper corners to put on - don't ask me why I did this
tempImage7wXuuf.jpg

Next up was fixing the exhaust. Somehow I managed to only take a couple blurry pictures of this endeavor.
I wanted the exhaust to run inside the frame rail, so I got a 105 series y pipe (Part# 17401-66140) and all new studs, nuts, and gaskets to go along with it.
I had some 3" titanium tubing left over from a previous project which I mated to the 105 y pipe via a factory Toyota flange. Once I turbo this thing, I'll make a downpipe that mates up to the 3" tubing. Easy peasy. A massive Magnaflow muffler completed the project.

New studs - please excuse the disgusting engine bay
tempImagerV3dio.jpg

Last edited:
The 105 y pipe doesn't quite fit out of the box. Looks like the seat base of a 100 series kicks up further back than it does on an 80 series. Should you go with a 105 y pipe, you'll have to "modify" the floor of your 80 right above the transmission crossmember. A few whacks with a sledge did the trick. Can barely feel the bump from the inside. The passenger's feet wouldn't go there anyway.

tempImageBpht7v.jpg

The other issue is that the 105 y pipe does not have O2 sensor bungs nor does it have a cat. I welded in a bung for the front sensor, but couldn't make the rear bung fit because of welds on the pipe, varying diameters, etc. Even if the 2nd bung was in, it would still throw a code because there is no cat. I'll get an O2 sensor simulator and plug that into the second sensor which should clear the P0141 code. Drives fine as is though. Occasionally I can feel the ECU compensate a bit, but overall it's fine.

I'll take some pics soon of the finished product. High clearance and sounds great, definitely recommend.

Great thread! I've only been through Montana twice, but I love it out there. I wish we had wide open spaces like that down here in Tennessee.

Great thread. Love the red!! In for them exhaust pics lol

@1jzhilux - Can you please tell me what paint you are using and how well it matches up to the factory color? I've got a few, small rust spots and scratches I want to potentially clean up soon.

Thanks!
Jeff
I use Automotive Touchup paint. If you don't know your paint code, you can find it on the build plaque under the hood or on toyotareference.com (may be importarchive.com now). If you click on your paint code through them it'll take you to automotivetouchup to order.

I use Automotive Touchup paint. If you don't know your paint code, you can find it on the build plaque under the hood or on toyotareference.com (may be importarchive.com now). If you click on your paint code through them it'll take you to automotivetouchup to order.

Sweet, thanks!

I know my paint code, I just wasn't sure if you found something off the shelf or if you had something custom made up.

I'll take a look now.

The long and totally not worth it wait for exhaust pics is over!

tempImage69RJIX.jpg

Y pipe bolts up to the existing extractors and goes inside the frame rail (crazy I know).

tempImageXgkZT4.jpg

tempImageFCTbnI.jpg

Right above this bend is where I had to clearance the body.
tempImageJwdkJT.jpg

Y pipe ends all the way back at the end of the t case and then straight into a way too big Magnaflow muffler.
tempImagec9Nj0i.jpg

Next up was a quick outing to make sure everything still works.

52444429746_40fba30293_o.JPG

52444429641_d59721b759_o.JPG

Rolled up some 40s to see how they would work

tempImagebsqAF5.jpg

tempImagebBPdGO.jpg

Changed out the wheel bearings. I think it may have been time...

tempImageaBAyMk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom