wandering landcruiser... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just converted the front to disc and now my steerings all jacked up! This is whats going on: The steering used to be exactly like any landcruiser without power steering. It had lots of play in the wheel but it would maintain a straight course without having to fight it. Now when it hits a little bump in the road or if the road starts to angle one direction or the other the vehicle will gradually travel in a diagonal direction. When this happens and I try to correct the steering seems overly responsive and I end up having to over correct again and again until it starts going straight (it almost feels like the vehicle is caught in a slidding swaying motion). I still have the same amount of play in the steering wheel but once it reaches a certain point it turns way too fast and starts to wander. If I turn really hard and then let go of the steering wheel the vehicle doesn't want straighten out as fast anymore? Anyone know what could be wrong? You know what it feels like, it feels like a cj-5 with 38'' Thornbirds and now power steering, not exactly how I want my landcruiser to drive. :mad:

What did you change? The whole axle or just the knuckles? It sounds like your caster is off, but if you just did knuckles you might want to double check your bearing preload on the spindle nuts and the bearing preload on the kingpin (for lack of a better term) bearings. If everything is right, you might need to take 'er in and have the caster checked.
Can you put the knuckles on the wrong sides? is the caster built in to the knuckles? It would make sense, but I dunno.

I'm just a rube, but the most likely thing he changed is the toe-in. Flame me and I'll go stand in the corner and think about what I've done.

if you swapped entire axles, double check the u-bolt torque and the spring pins.

Knuckles can't go on the wrong side or your caliper would face the wrong way... :D

Caster is wholly axle dependant, and independant of knuckles since it's fixed unless a cut-turn was done.

and who let that rube in here? ;)

if you swapped entire axles, double check the u-bolt torque and the spring pins.

Knuckles can't go on the wrong side or your caliper would face the wrong way... :D

Well I knew that, but would they fit that way?

Caster is wholly axle dependant, and independant of knuckles since it's fixed unless a cut-turn was done.

That I wasn't sure of. I guess it would make sense the factory put the caster in where the knuckles are put into the axles.

and who let that rube in here?   ;)

Musta been the guy in charge. :D

Rube here, so still no comment on my toe-in theory? It's only a theory mind you but I have extensive research to back it up. You need a smiley with a really dumb look on his face, if you need a model my number is BR549.
Just finiched my HEI conversion and I'm goin' fer a ride..
Ed Long

Actually, toe in is a good guess....one of many tho, and they can all combine to beat you up on handling. Remember too, larger diameter and wider tires like more toe-in than factory skinnies (not much, but a little)

Are you getting any death wobbles along with the wandering (You will know it if you have them, not fun). Check everything, toe, caster, ubolts, etc.

Also, check it consistently on the same stretch of road, around salt lake city some roads make you think your piloting a covered wagon (Ha ha, I said covered [hardtop[ Wagon [LandCruiser] hehe).

Thanks for the replies, I haven't had a chance to get around to it yet (I wanted some info. to work off of before I dive into it) but I will most likely be able to work on it this weekend. I will let you guys know what I find out, also as to the death wobbles, not really its more of a drifting in a diagonal motion situation? Really weird? Again thanks, I will keep you posted with what I find out. BTW if it helps I did the standard mini truck conversion to disc. Also to reply to Woody I am running what I think is the stock tire size 30/9.5/15 so that shouldn't be a factor.
ddwwxse

Rube here again, I took a break from the corner. Easiest thing to check is toe-in, &nbsp:Do it, do it now, do it again...slowly. Really, first things first. &nbsp:Do the simple things first. Everyone is right about the probable causes of your wandering ways. I don't mean to contradict or dict anyone, you're in the company of wise, seasoned experts, not counting me. Toe-in is just the easiest thing to check and correct of all the possible sources of the problem.
You guys are LC studs, how did you let a rube like me on this board? Was someone asleep at the switch? If I'm right, well...Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom