VTcruiser60's Spring Build--Much to do... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't feel bad. I did that with oil once and the clean up was a hell of a lot harder.

I did that once with 2 gallons of old motor oil on a friend's brand new, white, cement driveway. What a pain in the nuts.

Metaltech cage fit up went well on Saturday, thanks to Dan and Mike. I don't think fitting a cage is a one man job.

We made a basic template for 90 tube cuts and got to work, c-pillar, then b-pillar and finally the front A--pillars. The first notching took maybe an hour....cutting and grinding an 1/8th to a 1/4 at a time. The final tube notch at the end of the day took maybe 10 minutes.

Anyway...it is stout as hell and really a nice product. I still have to finish fitting the triangular tube attachments, and gusseting...but am close.
downsized_0905091542.jpg
0906090706.jpg

i have had a lot of those aw sh&t moments :hillbilly: glad to here you got it all cleaned up and nothing was harmed

Loads of additional work left for the cage. On Sunday I was able to fit up and tack the rear diagonal supports, as well as a whole crap load of gussets. I think I counted 26 gussets. Most of the gussets are 1.5 x 2 inch triangles at 1/4 thick mild steel...very stout. I also added some gussets with punched holes for attachment points...figuring at some point I would need tie down areas in the bed. I added a bit of spider gusset bling near the door....couldn't help myself.

Metaltech designed a diagonal support near the door opening, which I will not use. I just don't like the look. I figure I have over compensated with the additional gussets and will be fine.

I still need to clean all the joints with a flap wheel, splash some prep-all degreaser, and then do final welding.

For paint I am thinking about buying some SEM etching rust inhibitor rattle cans....its a nice product and pretty hard paint.
0906090706.jpg
0906092128.jpg
cp1_0906091740.jpg

welded up and painted. 2 cans of 15 oz industrial rustoleum primer...+ 2 cans of 15 oz industrial rustoleum glossy black....

Wifey helped me load up the cage tonight...surprised the hell out of me.
0908092246.jpg
0908092247.jpg
0909092051.jpg

Last edited:
sexy.

nice work kieran!!!!!

thanks for the pm bud. i love the color; one of the true classics for 40s in my book. a local buddy has a 45 that color and it's beyond nice.

keep it up, looking forward to the first "trip report"!

georg @ valley hybrids

Looking good! I like the fancy gussets!

Last edited:
Thanks for the nods on the roll cage. It looks good with camera phone pics....

Huge props to Dan and Mike for their assistance. I wouldn't recommend doing this by yourself for the first time.

I got my IPOR skidplate in the mail a few weeks back. Lance and his Vermont born fabricator named Jack worked some magic with the plate steel. Since I am running a PTO his crew modified an existing skidplate for me, based on a sketchy drawing I sent them. It fits up perfectly. I did go ahead and add an additional 4 inch plate to the front of the skid, which is visible in the picture. I also drilled a drain hole. Essentially it is a basin under the tcase, pto, and tranny....no need to make it a pond.

Kudos to the IPOR shop.... (try lance@ironpigoffroad.com with questions about their products)
0918091857.jpg

git yer hangers done...you have two weeks!

Are you going to have to notch that for the D shafts/ebrake drum?

Very cool K!

Wow...two weeks...can't wait to see a few pics of it all put together.

1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_beer.gif

git yer hangers done...you have two weeks!

Are you going to have to notch that for the D shafts/ebrake drum?

Working on the hangers today....

Got the skidplate installed...a little fitting up with the grinder needed.
Esterized ORION installed.jpg

Sunday update...racing to finalize everything for the Fall Gathering.

I finished welding in my rear shackle hangers. I finally fixed the cruiser lean that had been annoying me since I bought the truck. Passenger side at 62 degrees, drivers side at 69 degrees. That's done.

I also fabricated some rear body tub mounts and finished mounting the tub. There are two mounts that attach the tub to the rear crossmember, my new bumper.

Finally, I think I am all done with the latching mechanism for my swing out tire carrier. I will post a picture shortly, but essentially used a Destaco clamp, and a piece of 5/16. It is a simple system, but should work fine for holding the swing out in place.

Need to finish installing the seats, clean up some electrical gremlins, paint the hood, and get a new inspection sticker....ugh.

pics of the tub bracket and swing out below
bracket.jpg
swing out.jpg

Last edited:
Just got in from a 20 minute drive tonight around the neighborhood.... it was terrific.

All seems fine, no strange rattles, just the hum of the tranny and tires. I had to carry a flashlight as no lights worked on the dash...but what the hell.

Felt great....

Just got in from a 20 minute drive tonight around the neighborhood.... it was terrific.

All seems fine, no strange rattles, just the hum of the tranny and tires. I had to carry a flashlight as no lights worked on the dash...but what the hell.

Felt great....

That's great :cheers:

MILESTONE.....got a State inspection scheduled for 4pm on Friday at my buddy's shop. This puts pressure on me to get the final electrical bugs worked out by then.

How much electrical do you have to do?
Just lights?

How much electrical do you have to do?
Just lights?

Sure Lane, I would be delighted to have you come over an help. :)

Um....several problems with my wiring. I have new tail lights and must have wired them incorrectly. The turn signals don't work. Brake lights turn on the reverse lights. On the dash board, I have no lights in the instrument cluster working, and the hazard light switch turns on the blower fan. When I depress the cigarette lighter, it blows the fuse......its all fxxxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom