Visiting from Colorado - Trail recommendations around Prescott? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks - I'm down from Colorado Springs visiting my daughter in Prescott through the end of next week. Thought I'd get out and see some trails while I'm here or join in if there are any group runs planned. I have a fairly capable 80 series - 33's, locked, 2" lift - and moderate experience.

Some caveats...
1. I'm not looking to get to crazy - it has to get me home at the end of next week. So I'm looking more for interesting & scenic then hard core.
2. I completed a 5.3L LS engine swap this past spring. It has about 2500 miles on it, including the drive down here but the cooling system is untested in anything really hot. I don't have any reason to doubt it, but still.

Thanks!

For a nice scenic route, running the Senator highway to Crown King is pretty fun. I’d suggest that. Not too crazy but remote and beautiful. I suggest a week day to avoid the side by side traffic.

Hi Folks - I'm down from Colorado Springs visiting my daughter in Prescott through the end of next week. Thought I'd get out and see some trails while I'm here or join in if there are any group runs planned. I have a fairly capable 80 series - 33's, locked, 2" lift - and moderate experience.

Some caveats...
1. I'm not looking to get to crazy - it has to get me home at the end of next week. So I'm looking more for interesting & scenic then hard core.
2. I completed a 5.3L LS engine swap this past spring. It has about 2500 miles on it, including the drive down here but the cooling system is untested in anything really hot. I don't have any reason to doubt it, but still.

Thanks!
Howdy! Too bad you are so far from Phoenix. We have a volunteer group that does most of the mapping, signing, and trail repair for about 3000 miles of motorized trails in the Tonto National Forest. We do a couple runs every week. Unfortunately it is also 100+ degrees down here. John

X2 on the Senator. Then, if you would like, you can take the road from Crown King down to Cleator, Bumble Bee and back out to I-17. Then freeway/highway all the way back. Pines to desert and back again. Stop for some Fudge at the General Store in CC and pick up a book on the history of the Bradshaws as well at the store.

@86R100RS lives in the Prescott area and hits the trails up around Mingus Mtn, etc. There’s some really neat stuff in the Bradshaw Mtns.
And if you have never been to Jerome, it's touresty, but a fun place to check out for a day.

Smile Rock Trail is not far North of Prescott and an easy drive up Fain Rd (*Old Fain Rd?). Once you get to the saddle at the highest point of the drive, there's a turnoff to get into some organized campgrounds followed by disorganized dispersed camping, and then the Smiley Rock turnoff.

Lots of places to camp up there, and very nice views. Should be cool at night, but 80-90s during the day.

Welcome to The Great State of Arizona, and enjoy your stay.

Thanks guys - we took your advice and ran Senator down to Crown King & Bumblebee. Very nice ride! We didn't hang around Crown King to long because we had a dog with us, and had to get my daughter back to Prescott for her shift. But it was definitely a good day. Will be checking out some of the other places as well.
IMG_20210917_135729528.jpg

Took another ride today - Senator to Poland road, and a trip up Big Bug Mesa. Poland was fun - rocky enough to pick a line a few times. The torrential rains in Prescott yesterday must have missed that area - looks like Big Bug could easily turn into a bog with any significant rain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom