Vintage cartridge bearing press for old fisher mtb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey all,
Anyone on here with the press in cartridge bearing bottom brackets used on old Kleins and fishers and other vintage MTBs? I need to replace the bearings and spindle but don't have the right tool. What is everyone using for this job? Hammer and socket or a actual press?
Thanks!
16619721846_6c99e62162_c.jpg

Alright, got a new spindle and bearings from Phil Wood. I attempted to do it with just a brass hammer and couldn't get it perfect. So I took it all apart. Next I set the non-drive side spindle-bearing length, put that in the bottom bracket. Now the plan is to build a little press to press in the drive side bearing while keeping the non-drive side settings stable. Nothing like making your own tools.

Ok, lots of washers and a piece of pipe and I was in business. I over thought the press part of it and a C-clamp ended up being the missing piece to the puzzle. Project done and now the crank spins smoooooooth with no side to side movement.
40602927903_272d9b4bd3_z.jpg

Just saw this but seems a bit late at this point. Forget if we used to have a specific tool for this but if memory serves we just used some type of park tool B.B. press. You can generally always adapt any sort of press such as a headset press with pretty good luck. Just grease or anti seize well and ensure they go in straight and are being pressing on the outer races. If issues arise bribe someone with a lathe to make a properly sized adapter for whatever press you come up with. Most guys/gals with a garage consider decent beer currency. Espically in the bike industry. Best of luck!

Ok, lots of washers and a piece of pipe and I was in business. I over thought the press part of it and a C-clamp ended up being the missing piece to the puzzle. Project done and now the crank spins smoooooooth with no side to side movement.
40602927903_272d9b4bd3_z.jpg
C clamp press.....I’ve used it once or twice. Nice job!

@red66toy I see that my comment is late but thought it may help others.

Never had a proper press for these when I did them regularly. I did have an old bearing we put against the grinding wheel and took down the OD enough that it wouldn't stick in the frame. I'd use this with a socket or punch to put the new bearing in. I'd also always try and leave the new bearing in the freezer at least 30 minutes to help it press in.

@red66toy I see that my comment is late but thought it may help others.

Never had a proper press for these when I did them regularly. I did have an old bearing we put against the grinding wheel and took down the OD enough that it wouldn't stick in the frame. I'd use this with a socket or punch to put the new bearing in. I'd also always try and leave the new bearing in the freezer at least 30 minutes to help it press in.
I should have thought of the freezer trick! That would have made it a bit easier.

You can turn a can of compressed air upside down on small parts and it freezes things pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom