Vibration/drone/wubwubwub @ ~60mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There has gotta be other Hundys in your area. Swap wheels/tires with a buddy to see if the issues goes away. Free to do except maybe a beer and pizza.

Searched for the last couple days on the forums while trying to self diagnose my 100’s loud drone at hwy speeds, havent found anything very helpful so here I am.

-at 55-60mph I get a loud hum/drone which is not intermittent at those speeds.
-very loud and annoying
-shifting trans to N does not affect the noise
-shifting transfer case to N does not affect it
-braking does not affect it
-turning side to side doesnt seem to affect it
-balancing tires doesnt affect it (ko2’s w ~ 10k mi)

Where im at right now is that my 98 is missing the body weight that bolts to the frame near the front Passenger door, but I have rock sliders installed which I thought was supposed to eliminate the vibration from not having that balancer on there.

Any advice appreciated!

I have been experiencing the SAMMMEEEE EXXAAACT thing! Wow, you're local AND have the same color LC as me! @Magnetic 111 I think we need a photo shoot lol :D

Anyways, as you mentioned, it's not RPM related and more-so happens at about 50-65 MPH. It's hard to explain but its like a HUMM...HUMM...HUMM...HUMM... but very fast.

Things I have ruled out;

Brakes (new pads/rotors all around)
Drive shaft grease (or lack thereof)
Axles (recently rebuilt OE's)
Drive-train fluids like tranny/diffs/TC
It's not the passenger side frame weight (I recently had it off and put it back on to remedy vibration)

My opinion:

If you drive at approx. 50 mph through some curvy roads (like coming down from a mountain) turn off radio and listen to the pulsation sound when turning around curves.

I believe it's the wheel bearings going bad or not having enough grease.

But it could also have something to do with the tires.

I have been experiencing the SAMMMEEEE EXXAAACT thing! Wow, you're local AND have the same color LC as me! @Magnetic 111 I think we need a photo shoot lol :D

Anyways, as you mentioned, it's not RPM related and more-so happens at about 50-65 MPH. It's hard to explain but its like a HUMM...HUMM...HUMM...HUMM... but very fast.

Things I have ruled out;

Brakes (new pads/rotors all around)
Drive shaft grease (or lack thereof)
Axles (recently rebuilt OE's)
Drive-train fluids like tranny/diffs/TC
It's not the passenger side frame weight (I recently had it off and put it back on to remedy vibration)

My opinion:

If you drive at approx. 50 mph through some curvy roads (like coming down from a mountain) turn off radio and listen to the pulsation sound when turning around curves.

I believe it's the wheel bearings going bad or not having enough grease.

But it could also have something to do with the tires.

Different guy. This isn't my post.

I had a
Similar thing the slip Ring in the hub failed , only found out when the what seemed the gearbox made crunching noises as the shaft had partly come out of the hub

I've had similar loud kinda roar start always at 70mph or higher. Mine sounds like its definitely in the rear. I'm going to try the rear DS disconnect and see what I find. I know my wheel bearings need to be replaced as well. May be a combination

Wheel bearing, change them out and I bet it goes away

I have this same issue, you can feel it under the floor.. *humm humm humm*. Doubt it's the stock size Michelin Defenders, it seems mechanical. Already did all the driveshaft greasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom