90% Successful Day - driveline vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Pretty good day today, but would appreciate some thoughts. First the great news, I
fixed my D-R clunk by replacing front diff bushings. Pretty easy minus 30 minutes hammering out the front bushing.

Partial success with an annoying vibration and drone that only came on at 100-110km/h (60-70ish mph) whether on it or off the gas. Did the remove front then rear drive line process. Removing the rear eliminated it all!

My question is clearly it's rear driveline related.
Drive line has no missing weights, no dents etc. I pryed, pulling and torqued on the U joints when it was in and off the truck. Could not get any movement.

I would expect that if it was center diff I would still feel some vibration despite the load of the shaft not being there. Also if it was rear diff, bearing etc the same would be true.

Could it just "go' out of balance or is the load on the U joints at that speed high enough to expose ujoint play? Could it be center diff bushing play? Cant feel any but thats only under my force.

Just looking for the logic next step.
Any advice would be appreciated

Could be the u joints, they aren't expensive or too hard to replace. When in doubt, throw parts at it!

I would think and out of balanced drive shaft would be much less subtle than what you are describing.

So much less successful than I thought. Installed new u-joints, and the vibration is back. No vibration in steering wheel. Switched tires front to back and no change.

Still happens at 110km (70mph) regardless of if it's under load or not. I did find a completely shot bushing in the stabilizer arm. I was able to push it up with 2 fingers, other side could not budge.

Thinking that maybe the transfer of power to the rear diff is putting more vibration through backend and causing more movement there?

Honestly just guessing this point. Again all weights are still in place on the driveshaft. No visible dents or bend.

The resonance is just as annoying. Thought it might have been windair speed related but with it going with rear shaft removal, that rules it out.

Doing my absolute head in!

That is a bummer to hear that new U-joints didn't work. I was just about to go down that path. I have a similar drone/vibration on mine around 60mph.

I have changed my motor/trans mounts, and that helped a good deal, but didn't completely get rid of it.

To your point I think you are trying to make @KiwiPike , it seems crazy to need a whole new driveshaft? But maybe? Or maybe this is rear axle bearings? Doesn't seem like many folks do those bearings given the amount of work and tools needed (you need a press), but maybe?

That is a bummer to hear that new U-joints didn't work. I was just about to go down that path. I have a similar drone/vibration on mine around 60mph.

I have changed my motor/trans mounts, and that helped a good deal, but didn't completely get rid of it.

To your point I think you are trying to make @KiwiPike , it seems crazy to need a whole new driveshaft? But maybe? Or maybe this is rear axle bearings? Doesn't seem like many folks do those bearings given the amount of work and tools needed (you need a press), but maybe?
Yeah, I was pretty gutted it wasn't them. I don't think it's bearings as it would have still been there when I had the driveshaft out. Also no noise or anything that I heard when I did the front bearings. Wont be motor/trans mounts either I suspect, because as noted above gone with driveshaft removed. Engine and trans was still in the car. Haha.
I am replacing the sway bar and stabilizer bushings tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
If that doesn't do it I'll dig deeper into drift shaft balance, the rear diff or transfer under load

Doesn't seem like many folks do those bearings given the amount of work and tools needed (you need a press), but maybe?

Def need a big press and the job is a total PITA, only do them if you are sure they are shot or you are leaking diff fluid across the bearing. Those bearings are VERY beefy, they can take a ton of abuse.

I've never done it but apparently some shops can test and re-balance drive shafts. Maybe it's not an expensive service and you can rule that out. Sorry the u joints didn't solve it. The process of trying to eliminate clunks and vibrations is no fun. Def be suspicious of various rubber bushings. You have 5 rear control arms, any of which could be shot also.

A vibration felt in the floor is related to drive line. Did you use OEM U joints? GMB or any A/M U joints aere junk.

How are your rear UCA/LCA/Panhard bushings?

I hate to say it but it could be tcase output bearing.. check very closely for play at the rear tcase flange .. might also be worth checking preload if you have the rear driveshaft off

I'm having a similar issue where mine vibrates and resonates 60mph and above. It is not RPM dependent. I've previously had the rear drive shaft refurbished with new u-joints and rebalanced about a year ago so I'm pretty sure it's not the rear drive shaft. I pulled out my front drive shaft and the vibration went away so I was confident it was the front took it to the same shop that did the rear. Once I put the front drive shaft back in the vibration immediately came back so unfortunately it wasn't the front drive shaft but I don't know what else it could be.

Any updates on your vibration? @KiwiPike

I'm having a similar issue where mine vibrates and resonates 60mph and above. It is not RPM dependent. I've previously had the rear drive shaft refurbished with new u-joints and rebalanced about a year ago so I'm pretty sure it's not the rear drive shaft. I pulled out my front drive shaft and the vibration went away so I was confident it was the front took it to the same shop that did the rear. Once I put the front drive shaft back in the vibration immediately came back so unfortunately it wasn't the front drive shaft but I don't know what else it could be.

Is it okay to drive at freeway speed with either/one (obviously) drive shaft removed?

Hey, sorry I missed this. I still have it. It is not as bad as it was but still there. Cyclic drone. I was fortunate to get a great deal on new OEM cv axles. Mine are slinging grease, but have no other symptoms of CV issues. I am going to have the alignment rechecked but I don't have any steering wheel movement as I would expect if that was the issue.

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get over to have the alignment checked. Life happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom