Vibration/drone/wubwubwub @ ~60mph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched for the last couple days on the forums while trying to self diagnose my 100’s loud drone at hwy speeds, havent found anything very helpful so here I am.

-at 55-60mph I get a loud hum/drone which is not intermittent at those speeds.
-very loud and annoying
-shifting trans to N does not affect the noise
-shifting transfer case to N does not affect it
-braking does not affect it
-turning side to side doesnt seem to affect it
-balancing tires doesnt affect it (ko2’s w ~ 10k mi)

Where im at right now is that my 98 is missing the body weight that bolts to the frame near the front Passenger door, but I have rock sliders installed which I thought was supposed to eliminate the vibration from not having that balancer on there.

Any advice appreciated!

KO2s shouldn't make noises at 10K miles, but that noise is either tires or your wheel bearings, check to see if you have play in your wheel bearings or if there's any grease in there.

I have the same thing going on at the same speeds, and it started when i got K02's installed. I thought it was maybe due to the tire shop installing the DTs instead of the regular K02s. Mine isn't loud enough to be a problem.

And I still have the frame thingy installed.

Bearings, CVs, U-joints, out of balance drive shafts, tires.

I was able to eliminate all of my vibrations (matching your description) through a combination of all of the above. CVs were the most noticeable culprit.

Other vibrations got sorted out with control arms, but I don't think that's your issue here.

Your sliders might be too high, the mounting point might be touching the bottom floor panel. Many of us here leave a finger gap.

Had the cv’s replaced about 10k miles ago as well. I’ll have to investigate more with the wheel bearings and drive shafts

Had the cv’s replaced about 10k miles ago as well. I’ll have to investigate more with the wheel bearings and drive shafts

Were they OEM?

Reason I ask, is because one of mine, the biggest offender, was a ~1 year old after market. It went belly up and had vibrations almost right away and I kept trying to convince myself it was something different.

Were they OEM?

Reason I ask, is because one of mine, the biggest offender, was a ~1 year old after market. It went belly up and had vibrations almost right away and I kept trying to convince myself it was something different.
Yep oem cv’s on both sides

Do you feel a vibration under the floor with the noise? A bad u-joint on a driveshaft is pretty loud. Does it get more pronounced with speed, or engine RPM?

Do you feel a vibration under the floor with the noise? A bad u-joint on a driveshaft is pretty loud. Does it get more pronounced with speed, or engine RPM?
Its hard to pin point where its coming from, and seems to be more about speed not engine rpm

Have someone sit in the back seat over the driveshaft and see if they can feel it through their feet.

Get under there and start pushing and pulling on your driveshafts. This is the range where a bad U-Joint is going to start rocking the boat.

I’ll check the play in the u-joints. Talked to a driveline shop about balancing the front driveline and replacing u-joints, but theyre 10days out and they need the driveline there for that long fml haha

Tempted to just get 4 new u-joints and a new rear ds (I have a 1998 that clunks) and get it all balanced at a driveline shop

You can pretty easily remove each drive shaft from the truck and determine if the vibes stay or go. It's 8 nuts/bolts per shaft. Lock the CDL and you're good to roll in 2wd, even FWD.

Takes about 20 minutes to remove each one and another 20 to put them back in. Easy way to diagnose.

You didn't like... run over a protester, did you?

You can pretty easily remove each drive shaft from the truck and determine if the vibes stay or go. It's 8 nuts/bolts per shaft. Lock the CDL and you're good to roll in 2wd, even FWD.

Takes about 20 minutes to remove each one and another 20 to put them back in. Easy way to diagnose.

You didn't like... run over a protester, did you?
Yeah, guess I should do this before throwing parts at it.

haha I havent run over any protesters, but I went down to the justice center to see what was goin on and 4 or them wanted I ride at which point I politely told them I was going the other way haha

Yeah, guess I should do this before throwing parts at it.

haha I havent run over any protesters, but I went down to the justice center to see what was goin on and 4 or them wanted I ride at which point I politely told them I was going the other way haha

I think you should.*

*Pull the drive shafts.

Run over the protestors but only if you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom