VERY LOW FUEL PRESSURE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading threads all morning and can't relate my issue exactly with other problems.

I have a 1985 fj60 with 310,000k Full Desmog, Webber Carb 38/38, Fuel Pressure Reg, Inline fuel pressure gauge, Firecracker kit Distributor, Coil, plugs and wires, Gm Alternator, Saginaw Powersteering conversion Long Tube Headers. been running fantastic for years and has never let me down. I was traveling about 100 miles yesterday to go purchase a 94 80 with a blown head gasket. I had been on the Hwy for about 50 miles and I noticed my fuel gauge drop all of a sudden. HMMM so I asked her Lucy are you ok, then it started slowly climbing back up went past half and slowly stopped.... then came back down and settled right under half where it was before. Well, that was unusual so went about 4 more miles got off at my exit. I sat at the signal waiting and waiting she idling just fine. I see a gap dumped the clutch turned left took 1st to about 4,200 shifted 2nd again red-lining snatched 3rd I was moving about 50 and just as I got to the top of the hill she tried to fall flat on her face, BUH RPS drop I let off the gas, but she is still running I pull over now looking stupid. The truck is still running, Idle is fine go through the motions of checking the gauges. Not hot, showing fuel, pop the hood start to check the inline fuel pressure gauge, showing around 2psi. Go over to the filter, it's a cheaper clear one usually gas is violently circulation but now it just bubbling and not full. So I turned around and drove 50miles home on back roads and she never died sat at 30 red lights gas gauge did the surge thing a few more times and not every time but when I would try to run out a gear mostly 2nd to 3rd she would start to sputter. If I kept the shifts under 2,100rps and drove under 2,500rpm witch was around 55 for me she ran fine made it home. So what do you think, I took off the fuel filter has sediment but I was able to blow through it with ease. Before I start blowing out the lines. Does a stock Machinal fuel pump go bad? When it does what is the psi it pushes. Because the factory carb would not run on that low of psi but since the Webber likes high flow low psi. Im thing that is how I was able to limp it home. I have never touched the fuel pump it could be Original had the truck since 180,000k. I do have a block off plate and redline pump on the shelf. But any thought on what the issue might be?

just saw the last line again mentions stock pump.

Yes the stock pump is a mechanical item and it can go bad. I don't think my engine has ever seen more than 3500 driving with me behind the wheel. Higher rpm going to suck fuel faster.....could be you have a pump problem or a blockage somewhere.

I’ve had a mechanical pump go bad. Started off with similar symptoms to yours. Started intermittent and kept getting worse and worse until fuel started shooting out the weep hole. This was a cheap one from Auto Zone. Replaced it with OEM Toyota and have had no problems since.

Ok so I tested the sending unit it is on the way out. With the float up indicating full, I get 11.6 oms. with the float down indicating empty, I get 125.5 oms. But you can manipulate the arm due to wear on the contact and makes to oms go crazy that should account for the needle on the gauge going up down back up.
Seth, It's possible I have a blockage somewhere but I just pulled the sending unit and looked inside the tank. I see a few surface rust spots but just discolored not any scale, dirt, or sediment nice and clean. I installed the inline fuel Pressure gauge a while back and pressure regulator and it was hard to get the Psi down now it's constant 3 psi this morning calmest that gauge has ever been. I cranked up the truck and let it run cant get it to do run bad now. The fuel filter is full of fuel, unlike yesterday. But she was nice and warm had been driving for about an hour on the interstate when this started.

Last edited:
I have been driving it for a few days now I can't get it to duplicate the issue.

The sending unit is just for your fuel gage. If the sending unit is bad your gage won’t work properly but your truck will still run correctly. The fj60 fuel system is low pressure. I’d have to look at the fsm to see if it even calls out a working pressure.

I just replaced my fuel pump because it was leaking.
And FWIW, good fuel pressure or not, a 2F is going to fall on its face at 4,200RPM.

So I got a new fuel pump from redline TPI 4x4 wired it up but left it unplumed and new fuel filters but still running the Mechanical pump. I drove about 200 miles on the highway last weekend and then 2 full days camping and crawling fully loaded with climbs and lots of mud, not a single problem. And tho I don't take it into the red as much as I like on short on-ramps here in Florida due to all the construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom