FJ62 Fuel Tank Pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I am looking for some help with my 88 FJ62, 3FE. This is a little long winded, just to give a perspective of what has already been done.

It all started as I was driving down the highway and my Fuel pump kept quitting on me, and then coming back on a few seconds later. Thinking it was my fuel pump, and after reading a few forums found it to be the electrical plug, behind the left rear quarter panel that had corroded. Replaced that.

It wasn’t long after that my fuel pump died. I was planning on replacing my fuel tank with a LRA 38 gallon tank, so I ordered one and also ordered a fuel pump from Kurt Williams. Installed both.

Up and running again and going down the highway and started getting a lot of gas fumes in the cab, I could not initially find the issue, because I could see anything leaking, and was so bad that you could not stand to be in the car. Found the Fuel Pulsation Dampener to be leaking and replaced that.

Fueled up, and on the road again. After driving it one day and having it sitting overnight in my garage, I noticed some spotting on the floor under the fuel tank, which seemed to be at the vent connections on each side of the tank. I found the tank to be building up pressure. Everything referred me to the Charcoal Canister. Tested both the Charcoal Canister and the VCV Valve per the manual, and found the Canister to be plugged.

Trying to find a Charcoal Canister seemed to be very difficult. Found on here, there are several mentions regarding replacing the canister with a VC120 canister from AutoZone. Tried this method, which takes very little to convert, and seems to fit well. The only difference is the additional drain line that is on the OG canister, but not on the VC120, out of the bottom that runs into the frame, which I plugged at the frame.

Here is my problem now. I drove it again for around 100 miles, and the pressure is building up worse than before in my tank.

The only thing that I think I haven’t replaced is the fuel cap. But since it seems to hold pressure, didn’t think I needed to.

Any Suggestions please.

These trucks don’t have a vented fuel cap so if your fuel cap was bad then that would be the opposite issue.

Have you inspected any of the parts in the rear 1/4 panel? The steel pass-thru manifold/bulkhead can get rusty and snap off.

Make sure you replace the filler neck grommet and the gasket that goes between the filler neck and body by the gas cap.

Yes, I checked all of that. It is in suprising good condition, no rust to speak of, and all of the manifold pieces are intact.

Do you smell gas if you stick your face in your face in that area inside the 1/4 panel?

Last edited:
Sorry. Was on the phone when I wrote that and didn't proofread :lol:

I edited it.

99% of the time strong gas smell inside the truck is from that area.

Don't see it mentioned, is you still getting strong odor inside the truck at all after you fixed the leaking fuel rail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom