vc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
have read a couple posts about the viscous coupler recently and tire size.
so, how much would running a spare of the same size tire, but different make effect it, in order to get somewhere to get it fixed?
I ask as my tires are 32x11.5? i think, sport kings. my spare is a 31x10.50, which im going to be giving to my 60 and buying a matching size for the 80.
i like my bfg a/ts and was thinking of going with the m/ts next set i buy. since the spare wont see much use would like to get something that can rotate with the next set. the sport kings have at least 50% tread on them though and are pretty decent in the mud.
any thoughts?
anyone know who makes the sport kings?

if you running a 15" wheel I will assume you have a 91-2 fj80, if this is the case you don't a viscous coupler. Even if this is not the case running the same size but a different make........is no big deal.

John

I agree with Landpimp...

Fisk Tire makes the Sport Kings.

Landpimp: it is a 91, good to know i dont have a viscous coupler :D
what exactly does it do anyways?

Dan, or anyone who might know: how do the sport king a/ts compare to the bfg a/t's or m/t's? Ive had the 80 since february and the sport kings have done good other than getting stuck in two feet of snow :D
our driveway was a huge mudpit for a while and it did good not getting stuck, but im not sure if its the 80 and the weight or if the sport king a/ts are a better mud tire than the bfg. anyone?

The VC works like the fan that cools the radiator. As the fluid in the coupler gets hot it turns to a solid and makes the fan turn. It is about the same with the VC, if one of the output shafts is spinning faster than the other, the VC locks (either do to friction or heat) and locks up the two shafts. The problem that I and some others have had is the VC locks up do to heat (it shouldn't do this) from normal driving. There is other types of VC, like on the Previa Van that are rebuildable but the 80 VC is sealed :-[
I would be nice to know what is killing the VC. My guesses are:
1)running with different size diameter tires
2towed with the front or rear wheels off the ground, what would happen if you towed the 80 this way? Would the lifted wheels try to trun?
3)or poor design from Toyoda
My bet is #1)

Kurt, not exactly.

In 93 and 94 (FZJ80) is is possible to encounter a vehicle without ABS. these vehicles use the other transfer, drums on the rear and a semi floater. That was the "standard" configuration, ABS was an option. Starting in 95 ABS became standard.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=4743;start=msg35992#msg35992 date=1062093555]
I don't know this for sure but have always thought it denoted the motor change.
[/quote]

Maybe that is what I was thinking of.
Didn't they make both FJ80 and Fzj80 in 93/94? If not I stand corected.
kurt

The "F" denotes the 3FE, the "FZ" denotes 1FZFE. "J80" is the body configuration ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom