Vapor Lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know as winter approaches it is not as much of an issue but this summer I had vapor-lock all the time. It left me stranded many times and I would have to wait hours until it was cool, usually after 8 pm, before I could start it up again. Seems like it is very common for cruisers when the temp is over 90 degrees. Does anyone know ways to fix or at least somewhat correct this problem? The fuel line, I feel, is way too close to the engine anyways. Thanks, I would love to fix this problem so that next summer I can enjoy the cruiser more.

How much interest do you have in keeping things stock? If not you can switch to an electric fuel pump and get rid of much of the trouble in addition to insulating the fuel line (I use rubber line on top of my hard lines and then have it wrapped in a reflective foil material). Still, having to wait so long to get your ride started sounds like more than just vapor lock or hot soaking the carb.

Of the three FJ60's I've owned, I've never had a vapor lock problem. That's in Boulder on the hotest day of the summer, engine hot. I don't think your problem is a design flaw such as the fuel line too close to the block. Is it stock? Is the fuel line mounted on rigid standoffs? Have you replaced the fuel pump? Does it have the insulator/spacer in it? Is there fuel in the carb window when it won't start? Does the carb cooling fan work? Have you tested the fuel cut solenoid for flaky operation? Has the carb been rebuilt? Do you have any other other fuel delivery problems like hesitation or stumbling? You don't have headers, do you? What kind of Cruiser is this anyhow? Testing the fuel pump pressure could eliminate any tank and supply piping issues.

It is a 69' FJ40. It is all completely stock ( no headers, original F). The carb was rebuilt by the PO and works well otherwise (real clean & good seals). I must say that I had the problems when I was in stop and go traffic or had to turn off the car for a short period of time, not when cruising down the road. Unfortunately Denver’s traffic does not allow other than horrible traffic most of the time. One thing I did notice that is not stock is that there are two fuel filters, no idea why, I will probably remove one. When it has the fuel delivery problem fluid does not get to the second filter. I like the idea of reflective foil material, where do you get this?

The second filter isn't getting fuel when its tough to start? If the first filter is full of crud then I think you may have a tank rust/contamination issue.

You should have one filter between the tank and the fuel pump, the second between the fuel pump and the carb. If you don't have fuel in the second one, I would look at the fuel pump having issues or line routing. Check the first one for crud, you should change these at least once a year.

the second filter looks real good the first (one closer to the tank) looks pretty old. Can I just get any filter from an auto parts store, will they know what kind i need? Do all FJ40s have the two filter set up? Thanks.

Yes, those are pretty much generic filters, I just picked up some at the local parts store. Not sure about the setup, but it makes the most sense and is pretty common on most cars.

My favorite filters are the clear plastic fram ones. You can see whats goin on and how dirty your fuel is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom