Value of '85 BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Value of '85 BJ70 *Now With Pics*

Some of you might remember my '85 BJ70 that had some really bad frame rot (I also went to look at the frame that Greg and Sheldon from G&S had).

frame(3).jpg

Anywho, the tranny has been squeeling lately and now vibrates really badly, there are leaks due to corrosion on the front windshield frame etc etc. In other words it's a '85 BJ70 with 360,000km on it and all the wear that would go along with it. I had the knuckles rebuilt 4 months ago, changed the glow plugs, had the injectors rebuilt 1 year ago, two new batteries, tires almost new and a few other maintenance items. It's come to the point where I just want to cut my loses and move onto something else like maybe a LJ71 from Wayne at Luxuryimports.

So what could I expect to get for the truck? I'm sure someone could make a resto project of it but with all the Japanese trucks available I think it would be more a parts truck that someone that has the space and time to remove that various pieces could probably make a profit sompared to me just selling it as a whole.

Last edited:
Hello,

I looked at a BJ 70 in the local Vancouver buy and Sell with similar Km's and age to your BJ. The guy was asking $6,000 and is now down to $5500.

The frame was in good condition and it did have some rust bt nothing serious. Problem with his truck was the lack of routine maint and the attitude diesels run forever without a need for service.

Are you in the Vancouver area?

Hikerdaddy

IMHO, I will NEVER buy a cruiser with a rusty frame like that !

Part it out ...

Rusty frame.... hmmm. Hard to know without having seen the body, be honest with the buyer and hope for 5000-6000?

I bought my '86 and negotiated on Peter's '86 and neither had significant frame rust and each cost less than $3000. I turned down another this winter that had and OME bumper, Warn 8274, 4:56 gears, arbs, aluminum wheels, rebuilt transmission, OME suspension, and a bunch of extras with an ok body and a basket case frame for $7500.

If you don't part it out, you should price it as the sum of its parts. From its description I think its a $1500 truck but BJ70s don't come along every day I might be proven wrong.

You might inquire with Wayne, G&S, and TLCruiserman what they'd give you for it. Perhaps they'd be interested in parting it out or using it as a donor in a project truck. I'm really wondering how long it will take my frame to reach that stage! One can slow down the rust on the outside of the frame, but how about the inside? Reaching in the stock frame holes, I find a lot of loose, flaked rust lying around in there. Canuck, is your frame also rusty in other areas?

Bad news i am afraid. if hte tranny is making noise and the frame is that rusty then i would hazzard a guess of MAYBE $1500 as parts. the old 3Bs are not getting as much as they used to.
(i have a rebuilt 3B here that i can't get $1500 for)
you have 3.7 gears--- not much value
you have a tired tranny--- not much value
you MIGHT be $1000 for the engine

did you know about the rust issues before you bought it?
i would write that one off as a learning experience on what to look for when you buy your next truck.

sorry (i hope i do not come across as an ass)

I dunno where you are looking crusher but a nice 3b is like gold around here, unfortuanatly yours being anything but a yota Land Cruiser it would be worth about 50 bucks

take that axle with fresh knuckles out and I will buy it for 500 bucks

lol

I could be interested in it as a donor for the FJ45LV if the price is right.

Eric Winkworth said:
I dunno where you are looking crusher but a nice 3b is like gold around here, unfortuanatly yours being anything but a yota Land Cruiser it would be worth about 50 bucks

take that axle with fresh knuckles out and I will buy it for 500 bucks

lol
where are you located?
maybe i will sell the rebuilt 3B long block to someone down there...
;^)

Ok, went out and took some pics. Obviously pictures only tell one part of the story but it gives an idea of the truck. Steve from Extreme Bends has seen the truck since he was the one who rebuilt the front knuckles and replaced the front brakes. Though he didn't take an in depth look at it, Sheldon from G&S has also seen it when I went to look at his 70 frame.

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

i can see why you wanted to put a frame under it, it does look nice. not the rust bucket i envisioned at all. (that is so BC, nice body with a dead frame...)
the frame is going to be the killer on any deal but you might find someone that is willing to put the work into a frame swap...
i change my opinion, you should either part it out or ask (as Bruce mentioned ) the value of the parts...
cheers

Yeah if I had the space, time and tools, the frame option would be nice but sadly I don't. And I'm sure that I could make more if I parted the truck out myself but again no space....

As for a couple other questions people asked. The rest of the frame is rusty but nothing compared to the damage by the muffler though I'm sure there is some flaking in the entire frame. Oh and yeah, I'm located in Vancouver.

My offer stands!! I probably could get a frame under it here in Central America for under $1200 if you wanted to do that! It makes a killer vacation and rejuvinates your truck.

I was going to give you $50 bucks for the suspension seats and $10 for your tilt steering column :grinpimp: but no way you should part it out, it's pretty dman nice from the rockers up. Someone with some time and a frame will jump on it.

If not...dibs on the seats and column...

bj70 for sale?

So is it for sale? How much do you want for it? I am in WA state. PMd you
Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom