V8 with Auto but still want 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey

Heres the situation , at present i have a 5.0 l v8 installed in my 60 series wagon , with the original 4 sp l/c transmission behind it .
My problem is that with the extra power of the v8 i keep killing clutches , i cant really upgrade too much in the way of a heavier clutch as i have a problem with my ankle's.
Initial idea is that the engine is standard turbo bolt patern so i could find an auto transmission bolt that up and problem solved , But i would really like , OK Will not even consider giving up the 4x4 system .
So what ideas or what has anybody done to retain their 4x4 drive system when changing to an auto transmissions ?

So has anyone out there running an auto coupled to the original l/c case , what sort of work was neede to complete the exchange ?

Idea's would be appreciated,

Also i live in australia , so the g'box of my choice would be the turbo 700 that came with the 5l v8 in the cruiser at the moment , If anyone has use one of theres or could see a fatal flaaw in using that g'box please let me know

I'm picking up the trans next week to do mine. I will also be running the 700R4 trans. I believe Cruiserrg and wngrog of the 45 buggy fame are running either the 700R4 or the electronic version. Most run the Advance adapter or a chevy transfer case with either a doubler adapter or to a centered rear axle.

I'm going to move this over to cruiser tech as I suspect it will get more attention there.

what 5.0 do you have?

is updating the clutch or changing clutch master, pedal ratios, etc... out of the question?

Yea , i spose i just really want to update from the l/c 4 sp as well but , the options available with the auto are greatly varied , and from what i've read on here everyone seems to have gone that way , I've allready bown $1000 Aus putting the original g'box behind it , so im jubioud about spending any more money on that setup .
Like they say ya live and learn hey .

You have Mark's Adapters in Oz. I like there stuff better than AA. I am not fond of the 700r4. You have to do a lot of mods to make them semi-reliable. Have you thought about the H55F 5 speed as the first gear is lower and there is the overdrive. It should be easier on clutches.

Yea the only problem with marks adaptors is they are awefullt expensive , they were ovewr $500 dearer on the conversion kit i bought first time and were super rude to me over the phone , but yes there gear is good stuff . I have been talking to the auto shop close to where i live and theve guaranteed for $1800 they will make it bulletproof , And it's gonna cost me that to trade my 4 sp for a 5 sp .

Not to debate Lagwagon's advice as I am not a automatic tranny expert, but I have done some research into the 700R4 because that's what I'm planning on using in my 40. What I have read is it had reliability issues when new, as did the TH350, but they have been well addressed. An early model does have to have the upgrades done and even the later models should have upgraded hard parts put in, but they are getting the reputation for being a solid trans. Not a HD trans, but a good reliable low to medium duty slushbox. At least as reliable as the TH350 if built by someone who knows 700s. The pluses are a lower first than a TH350 or 400, an overdrive, a locking torque converter that is easily switched manually, and a relitivly short overall length for an OD tranny.

Again, I am not an expert and Lag gives good advice, so take the above for what it's worth.

I do like the first gear of a 700r4 as I recall near 3.5:1. My problem with US made trannies is my ignorance. I have never rebuilt any but I used to do r&r's at dealers and a trans shop. I just don't think these last as long as they should IMHO( all US overdrive autos). I haven't even had good luck with factory rebuilds. I am sure there are rebuilders out there that specialize in certain trannies can build them right, I just haven't found them yet. I can say the my '91 80 is just starting to show signs of failure at 252k miles with poor maintainence and abuse.

Yea , the auto guys have told me to get one form a vn or 1989 onwards holden as there the better version of the g'box , basicly for $1800 they will set it up for engine braking in all gears , manual shift from 1st to 3rd or fully auto , and manual torque convertor lockup , plus upgraded internals . I am looking forwad to the gear ratios of the 700r so i guess time will tell .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom