Builds V8 Swap Project Begins! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I have finally made my choice on powertrain modifications to my 80. After looking into turbos, supers, toyo v8's, diesels, jet engines etc the best option for me is a Chevy V8. I just purchased a 40k mile 1995 Corvette LT-1 engine. I ordered the marks adapter to mate the A442F to the Chev. Another problem I intend to resolve is the power steering pump and box issues I have had by trying out a higher pressure Howe pump.

Oh, keep the comments clean guys, I know some of you view my choice as a huge mistake, and un-toyota allegiant. I respect your viewpoints and ideals! For the wheeling I do and for my situation, this is the right move for me.

Watch for future pics as we (myself-Kirk, Onur-stagename BENO, and Tim stagename Landwagon) hibernate through the Ohio winter in my shop making this happen.

Cant wait to read more about it. I love the idea of the SBC swap.

Are using the stock 94 transmission?

Is your 1FZ broken?

I am re using the stock tranny and electronically mating it to the engine too. The ECT will be functional. A/C etc too.

Hi Dan, well my motor still runs ok, it has never let me down. I will put this up for sale in due time. Loved it, great engine, just need more powa for the big swampers.

OK, understood.

I would be the first to say that there is nothing finer than the exhaust note of a healthy V8....:D

I will follow this with great interest as it is very difficult to get a 6 to "sound right"....;)

Dan, I would enjoy a floorboard blast in your rig, its gotta scoot! I have a vortech 'S" trim charger kit for this LT-1 too. It is off my last camaro upgrade (went to a bigger YS series charger and built a air to air cooler). I just dont see the need for this in the 80 though. In my V8 40 the chev was a kiss of death at times. I broke things like t/cases axles etc trying to play John Force on the streets.

I am putting 1 borla XR1 race muffler on it with a single side 3" pipe exiting in front of the rear tire. Going to fab up some kinda rectangular exhaust tip right under the slider, with a bunch of 1/4" battle armor around it.

So ya let the cat outta the hat Kirk...

Looks like I'll be busy this winter!!

:grinpimp: :grinpimp:

Can't wait to see this happen. Maybe one day I'll have enough cajones to do something like this on mine too...

Later.
-onur

kirk said:
I just purchased a 40k mile 1995 Corvette LT-1 engine.

I'm sure you know it but others may not. The LT-1 is not your typical SBC. That's a very trick engine and coming from a Vette it has AL heads. IIRC, the Caprice/Camaro/Buick/Caddy versions all had cast iron heads. The AL heads are just one of the dozens of kewl things with the LT-1.

Sounds like you'll have fun during and after that swap. :cool:

-B-

Before putting it in, I would look at one of the upgraded "opti-spark" ignitions. I put a lot of miles on a '94 and never had any problems, but I knew of other people that did. What a great motor, the ignition was it's only weak spot. Definitely keep us informed and take lots of pictures/documentation. Good luck, looking forward to it.

I think the problem that most people have with Chevy's are not with the motors and tranny's but everything that goes around them and falls apart. The small block is a great motor that runs forever. It isn't the latest in high tech, but keeps plodding on through constant refinement. If GM could bring the rest of their vehicles up to the small block quality, they would have some pretty good vehicles.

Wow...LT-1 sounds very.....FAST!

Anyway, IMHO, if you're already puttin' a Vette engine in...and just happen to have a supercharger sittin' in the garage....go for it!!!

I hear superchargers help with gas mileage, right!? :eek:

I've been debating a chevy/diesel swap for awhile too, so I'm interested in yours!

-H-

locrwln1

I hear ya on the opti-crap. I have a camaro hotrod and have had a ok history with opti-spark. For more precision timing control on it (it is supercharged with 18 pounds of boost) I negated the opti spark ignition trigger and switched to a Hall-effect crank trigger sensor on the crank.

I will probably try the GM 95'up upgraded opti spark or go with the MSD. If those dont work I will convert to a LS-1 style 8 coil system, these are becoming popular in the camaro world.

This sounds like a very cool project, and one I would duplicate if I ever had the need for a new powerplant. I don't think I would pick a Vette motor tho.....

The new Vortec Max 6000 engine sounds like a winner, and since it will be appearing in many new Silverado pickups, there should be plenty of them available used in a few years. Or you could buy a crate motor from the dealer:

Vortec Max 6000 V8

* Thundering 345 horsepower @ 5200 rpm
* HEMI-beating 380 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm(1)
* 10,000 lbs. of towing capacity(1) — the most towing capacity of any half-ton pickup on the road(1)

Vortec Max V8 Engine Features:

* More horsepower than Ford, Toyota, and Nissan half-ton pickups(2)
* More torque and trailering capacity than a Dodge HEMI(2)
* Vortec Max Performance Pack(3) includes Ride Control Suspension, a 9.5-inch axle, automatic locking rear differential, and a Heavy-Duty Trailering Package.
* Deep inside the combustion chamber of Vortec engines, a ferocious vortex is created to generate a better fuel-to-air mixture.
* A high-capacity cast-iron crankshaft with undercut and rolled fillets. And to help reduce stress, the crankshaft is internally balanced.
* High-flow cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
* Electronic Throttle Control to help achieve optimum vehicle performance and efficiency
* A Powertrain Control Module that continuously measures input to achieve optimized engine performance and smooth transmission shifts
* Coil-near-plug ignition system for a precise delivery of high-energy spark

1. When included in the Vortec Max Performance Pack.
2. Based on 2005 competitive information.
3. Available on select Half-Ton LT models.

I especially like the bit about the "Ferocious Vortex"! They should fire that ad writer!

John Davies

kirk said:
locrwln1

I hear ya on the opti-crap. I have a camaro hotrod and have had a ok history with opti-spark. For more precision timing control on it (it is supercharged with 18 pounds of boost) I negated the opti spark ignition trigger and switched to a Hall-effect crank trigger sensor on the crank.

I will probably try the GM 95'up upgraded opti spark or go with the MSD. If those dont work I will convert to a LS-1 style 8 coil system, these are becoming popular in the camaro world.

Cool, I figured you had an idea. Sounds like a lot of fun. Loved the power of mine. Great seat of the pants power/torque.

I love the LT-1 :)
put the corvette covers on it, that will look trick
InjStart2.jpg

Onur,
I'm disappointed. I don't remember you telling me this, either that or I was druck.:cheers:

BTW, The bearing should be in tomorrow. Once it's in, I'm road testing. Then all next week I'm on vacation and will go to WV for some skiing.

I'd like to stop by the shop and take a look at this project, that is if it's okay with Kirk.

jklubens said:
Onur,
I'm disappointed. I don't remember you telling me this, either that or I was druck.:cheers:

BTW, The bearing should be in tomorrow. Once it's in, I'm road testing. Then all next week I'm on vacation and will go to WV for some skiing.

I'd like to stop by the shop and take a look at this project, that is if it's okay with Kirk.

Hi Jim:

Damn...I thought we told you about Kirk's intention to swap engines....:doh:

Well, it's indeed happening. We just have to find time to do it since it is busy as hell at work.

Of course you can stop by.

Just let me know when and you are welcome to come by and we can cruise over to Kirk's and check it out.

You are, of course, welcome to crash going or coming back from WV if you want.

Just drop me a line.

Tranny rebuild looks great. Can't wait to see your rig all together.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom