Builds V8 Swap Project Begins! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

concretejungle said:
Cool swap. I'd be interested to hear the final results. I still say a 1fzfe with a turbo is the shiznizzle.

Hey CJ--

I think Kirk's time frame is to have this done by the end of the long, cold Ohio winter. It'll be awhile, but we'll be updating this thread as we go along.

That said, depending on how this comes out, this might be my next modification when the 1FZFE peeters out and dies....knock on wood, hopefully not for many thousands and thousands of miles....:D

The engine is out, what a mess. It took about 8 hrs total from running condition. It is very hard to access anything at the rear of the motor. I bet at araco they sit the body on after the drivetrain is fitted to the frame. The tranny cooler lines are pretty much impossible to get out. I had to cut them into 3 pcs. They were not going to work anyways. Will make new ones from braided HP hose.

After all this I put the adapter up to the A442F. Advanced adaters sent me a kit for a A440/3fe combo. Hopefully they have the proper one in stock.

Beno and I both have pics to post asap. The engine will go on sale too email myself or beno for details. Happy new year, Kirk

Here are some pics of the disassemble...er, I mean, sawzall, tow motor, and bolt cutters!! :doh:

Camera died before the engine was out, but Kirk got it on his camera--we'll post them up soon.

Learned a lot about the 1FZFE today--and had some thoughts about what the engineers who designed this thing might have been thinking about...for example, what in god's name is the fuel filter doing underneath the intake manifold? I knew it was there, but actually seeing it stuffed up in there made my mind boggle.

We were also easily able to get to the PHH...in fact, we just cut the hose!!

This is a solid, beefy engine. It is large indeed.

It was also a fun day....indeed.

Happy New Year's eve all!!

-onur
Akron, OH
PC310006.JPG
PC310007.JPG
PC310011.JPG

Here's the Slee Xfer case after Kirk tore it up a bit at Summit Racing Truck Day...a nice intake manifold shot....it's got some complicated wiring underneath.....and the tow motor for some added brute strength!
PC310018.JPG
PC310020.JPG
PC310024.JPG

Beno,
Thanks for that pic of the intake. It will be a good image for the P0401 posts and shows the location of the VSV for EGR.
-B-

Onur,
Where's that 1FZ's new home?

jklubens said:
Onur,
Where's that 1FZ's new home?

Currently, it's on Kirk's shop floor. We are going to clean it, put back some parts onto it and try to get rid of it.

You know anyone that might want a 1FZ with 165K?

;)

Happy New Year Jimmy.
-onur
Akron, OH

Beowulf said:
Beno,
Thanks for that pic of the intake. It will be a good image for the P0401 posts and shows the location of the VSV for EGR.
-B-

No problem Beo...yeah, the VSV is tucked up in there with all the wiring. I guess it seems like a ton of the emissions stuff was tossed (ie: stuffed) up between the two halves of the intake manifold. Though, I wonder if radiant heat from that area doesn't influence/effect the functioning and possible demise of the VSV along with wiring/connections in that area....I guess, more spectulation on our part.

That said, the wiring harness for this sucker is long, thick and complicated. We are going to have to get some stuff outta there and we are going to have to lay out the schematic and go snipping one by one.....:doh: I guess I'll call out numbers/letters/colors of wires and Kirk will snip.

It'll be interesting to see how the new LT-1 computer/ECU mates with the tranny.

Kirk is going to upgrade alot of plumbing and electrical in this thing--mostly, I think to simplify complex initial designs and to ward off future troubles....ie: get rid of the smogging stuff so PO401's don't pop up again...

Cheers gents.
-onur
Akron, OH

I would sure be interested in that motor if your looking to get rid of it!

REALLY intersted.

beno said:
It'll be interesting to see how the new LT-1 computer/ECU mates with the tranny.

Indeed.

Thanks for posting the pics and dialogue. Looking forward to more.

Mikesta said:
I would sure be interested in that motor if your looking to get rid of it!

REALLY intersted.

Mike--

Give Kirk or myself a PM offline...though I wonder at the possible costs of shipping a 1FZ across the county...;)

Happy New Year.
-onur

Lars said:
Indeed.

Thanks for posting the pics and dialogue. Looking forward to more.

Yeah, it should be a real fun adventure. Kirk's got the master plan in his head though and I am sure he's already figured this out. He'll chime in when he's up today or tomorrow.

Happy New Year.
-onur
Akron, OH

The electrical issues right now are the simplest issue. A great benefit to this swap, most manufacturers dont do this, Toyota put all the tranny electronics in a separate electrical box called the ECT. This through wiring diagrams shows a clear path of what information the tranny needs to function properly. All I need to do is get this info to the ECT from the LT1 instead of the the 1fz.

Right now the challenge I am addressing is what to with all the accessory locations. I am pretty certain the corvette accessory system will interfere with the d/s frame rail, steering and inner fender. the corvette engine bay is short and fat. The l/c is opposite. Probably going to customize all accys. right now I think I want to keep the toyo a/c unit in roughly the stock location, put the vette, howe or hummer p/s pump on the driver side, put the a h/o alternator up high on the drivers side, and run a killer electrical fan for cooling.

Sweet. Looks like you guys have a great place to work on this project, that makes a huge difference.

Nice tat.

Indeed awesome...too bad Advance Adaptors sent Kirk the wrong engine-tranny adaptor. Seems as if they thought he had a 3Fe as opposed to a 1FZ.

Kirk's shop is really nice Alex...it's warm and it's got lots o tools!

I think Kirk's doing electrical harness stuff this weekend...we'll see the outcome soon.

Cheers.
-onur
Akron, OH

Jim,

I built a platform to stand on around the truck. I just climb in the engine bay most of the time anyways. The hassle of getting all the front end pcs off is too time consuming. We have the motor out of course, and the new motor will go in easy b/c it is so short. My engine lift had no prob going high enough to clear the radiator, even with the 6" lift.

I also am going to work on the electric fan mounting and shroud while I am waiting on the boat from austrailia to deliver the proper tranny adapter.

Right now i have the whole engine bay wiring harness out of the truck on a table and have begun cutting out all of the engine related functions and ecu functions. There are a ton of wires that go through the engine harness related to the transmission.

Kirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom