V8 Swap Air Filter Housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this shows a close up look of the throttle body, it sits facing straight up ...similar to a carb in configuration, but its about 3/4 of the way towards the front side or radiator side of the intake manifold which is unusal, but thats just the way its made.

IMG_0532.jpg

this view just shows the top of the engine in a little better perspective. With GM OEM air intake removed.

IMG_0533.jpg

Anyone with a FJ62 or otherwise, know or have pics showing whats attached to the tube of the air filter housing that runs over into the fenderwell area ?

I don't' know off hand if I have any pics of that....

probably the best approach on the 5.7 vortec, is to adapt the GM OEM housing in some manner. I'm betting some of those cold air intake pipes have a fairly large radius that might not clear the hood on the 60, vs the clearance on a GM pickup/SUV. That housing that caps the top of the throttle body is not really that large as to volume of air..buts its a OEM part... probably similar to post #18.

be really cool if I could get something like post # 4 to work but the 90 degree fitting coming off the throttle would stand up and not be angled on the side. Off hand I don't know if I have hood clearance to do that. From memory I think the top of my air intake is "kissing" the hood insulation right now.

Has anyone even swapped a TBI into anything in the last 5-10 years?

I recall seeing one in the past (5.7 TBI).... would be very similar to 5.7 vortec, but I think the TBI throttle body is about center on the intake. From my memory the guy ran the stock GM air cleaner setup. I dont' have any pics ... .I had a 5.7 TBI at one time, the air filter housing setup was almost identical to carb as far a GM design.

I recall seeing one in the past (5.7 TBI).... would be very similar to 5.7 vortec, but I think the TBI throttle body is about center on the intake. From my memory the guy ran the stock GM air cleaner setup. I dont' have any pics ... .I had a 5.7 TBI at one time, the air filter housing setup was almost identical to carb as far a GM design.
Sorry, I meant the 96-00 Vortec like you have

Anyone with a FJ62 or otherwise, know or have pics showing whats attached to the tube of the air filter housing that runs over into the fenderwell area ?

I don't' know off hand if I have any pics of that....
do you mean the stock snorkel tube thing? looks like a smaller version of that black plastic tubing that goes on the bottom of rain gutters?

That goes out of one end of the air filter bracket and goes behind the fender and into a 2.5 inch circle right behind your headlight. I just reused my fj60 snorkel tube for this

BGUOidph.jpg

iBHUoFYh.jpg

Last edited:
Can you weld? I cut my airbox ring and welded another piece of tube that was stepped up to match the MAF size then welded some threaded inserts to the outside of the tube and shaped them with a dremel so they would look like OEM Flanges. The MAF mounts directly to the lid of my Fzj80 airbox lid. The steel tubing between my airbox and MAF is exhaust tubing stretched at an exhaust shop to the right size on one end. IMO the less silicone joints and unions you can have the better

AeF7ItHh.jpg

mzIBSOvh.jpg

For yours you could do something similar and make a flat plate with a hole cut in the center of it to match the opening of the MAF and your airbox lid. Weld this plate around the circumfrence of the round opening on the end of your airbox lid. Then drill holes that are in the same locations as the holes as your MAF run the stock 4 black bolts on the maf through the plate and into the MAF to bolt it on. Just make sure the splitter vane in the MAF matches up to the splitter vane in your airbox lid. They should both be horizontal

This will allow you to bolt your MAF directly to the lid of the airbox and not use a silicone adapter. For the Throttle body side you have a few options you could do. That big box is just a silencer for noise, you can ditch it and plug the hole and point the stock 90* plastic thing at the fj80 airbox lid (it rotates too) and then run a straight peice of aluminum pipe.

Or you can use a silicone adapter directly on your TB, then run a tight radius 90* bend aluminum tube and run it to the MAF/airbox.

Something like this. Youd cut the short end right before it bends on the flat and it will probably fit under your hood with it closed, youd need to take some measurements. your TB is probably close to 3 inches if id guess

They also sell very short radius cast aluminuim elbows as well.

You can also use short radius 15* Pie cuts if you can tig weld.

The main thing you need to do is make sure you can get the tilt of the airbox you have right to set it up flat some. Ive got a steel spacer under the bottom mount to flatten it out some because it likes to tilt down some. My lower airbox is from a fj62 and the lid is from a FZJ80. The fj62 lower air box bolts into existing holes on your truck. I dont think the fj80 one does.

Last edited:
Can you weld? I cut my airbox ring and welded another piece of tube that was stepped up to match the MAF size then welded some threaded inserts to the outside of the tube and shaped them with a dremel so they would look like OEM Flanges. The MAF mounts directly to the lid of my Fzj80 airbox lid. The steel tubing between my airbox and MAF is exhaust tubing stretched at an exhaust shop to the right size on one end. IMO the less silicone joints and unions you can have the better

AeF7ItHh.jpg

mzIBSOvh.jpg

For yours you could do something similar and make a flat plate with a hole cut in the center of it to match the opening of the MAF and your airbox lid. Weld this plate around the circumfrence of the round opening on the end of your airbox lid. Then drill holes that are in the same locations as the holes as your MAF run the stock 4 black bolts on the maf through the plate and into the MAF to bolt it on. Just make sure the splitter vane in the MAF matches up to the splitter vane in your airbox lid. They should both be horizontal

This will allow you to bolt your MAF directly to the lid of the airbox and not use a silicone adapter. For the Throttle body side you have a few options you could do. That big box is just a silencer for noise, you can ditch it and plug the hole and point the stock 90* plastic thing at the fj80 airbox lid (it rotates too) and then run a straight peice of aluminum pipe.

Or you can use a silicone adapter directly on your TB, then run a tight radius 90* bend aluminum tube and run it to the MAF/airbox.

Something like this. Youd cut the short end right before it bends on the flat and it will probably fit under your hood with it closed, youd need to take some measurements. your TB is probably close to 3 inches if id guess

They also sell very short radius cast aluminuim elbows as well.

You can also use short radius 15* Pie cuts if you can tig weld.

The main thing you need to do is make sure you can get the tilt of the airbox you have right to set it up flat some. Ive got a steel spacer under the bottom mount to flatten it out some because it likes to tilt down some. My lower airbox is from a fj62 and the lid is from a FZJ80. The fj62 lower air box bolts into existing holes on your truck. I dont think the fj80 one does.

My friend can do any welding I need.....I'm still exploring this, thanks for the feedback, tig or whatever else. Yea clean setup on your side.

I understand I might need to customize the lid of the OEM FJ62 air cleaner housing...

Last edited:
do you mean the stock snorkel tube thing? looks like a smaller version of that black plastic tubing that goes on the bottom of rain gutters?

That goes out of one end of the air filter bracket and goes behind the fender and into a 2.5 inch circle right behind your headlight. I just reused my fj60 snorkel tube for this

BGUOidph.jpg

iBHUoFYh.jpg

that "magic" tube around the headlight area you note is not part of the 60 setup.....(which may be obvious) given the different models and the different air cleaner housings. Right now I've got some cables / wires running through that hole :) Great pics and info.

Is that tube that comes out near the headlight and OEM part, or what that something you used from a snorkel setup (I was not clear on what you said). I don't have a FJ62 to look at...so some things I'm just trying to understand what the factory did on the FJ62.

I think the FJ60 had something like that, but on the other side of the engine bay (I've obvioulsy swappe engines) some time ago, from the stock I6, so I've forgotten about some of that, but I think there was some type of air intake on the driver side (of course thats gone) with my V8 setup.

I was wondering if the stock FJ62 air intake pipe , the one right off the air filter housing that points over to the fender well, simply pulled in air there or was there some type of hose or box or whatever inside the fender well on FJ62s.

Good ideas.

My friend can do any welding I need.....I'm still exploring this, thanks for the feedback, tig or whatever else. Yea clean setup on your side.

I understand I might need to customize the lid of the OEM FJ62 air cleaner housing...

Sure thing man, This would be a super fun tig project, wish you lived closer, we could knock it out in a day. You dont HAVE to customize the lid, you can run a silicone adapter but thats imo less than ideal. Its way cleaner for it to mount directly to the lid of the airbox

that "magic" tube around the headlight area you note is not part of the 60 setup.....(which may be obvious) given the different models and the different air cleaner housings. Right now I've got some cables / wires running through that hole :) Great pics and info.

Is that tube that comes out near the headlight and OEM part, or what that something you used from a snorkel setup (I was not clear on what you said). I don't have a FJ62 to look at...so some things I'm just trying to understand what the factory did on the FJ62.

I think the FJ60 had something like that, but on the other side of the engine bay (I've obvioulsy swappe engines) some time ago, from the stock I6, so I've forgotten about some of that, but I think there was some type of air intake on the driver side (of course thats gone) with my V8 setup.

I was wondering if the stock FJ62 air intake pipe , the one right off the air filter housing that points over to the fender well, simply pulled in air there or was there some type of hose or box or whatever inside the fender well on FJ62s.

Good ideas.

So that 2.5 ish inch round hole is on both sides behind the headlights on the fj60 and fj62. On the drivers side if you reach up 2 inches and 2 inches to the left of the round tube there is a large opening there that you can run your wires through into your fender if you want to use the circular hole for the black plastic tube thing. i have a ton of wires going through the gap there and freed up the round hole for the black plastic tube.

The black plastic tube came directly off of my air cleaner from my 2f on my fj60 its a stock part for the 60. I think city racer sells a replacement one that is pretty much identical or you can use something from home depot lol. On my 2f in my fj60 the tube ran from the air cleaner off of the carb to the passenger side hole behind the headlight. the left and right sides are mirrors of each other.

There isnt any box or anything inside the fender well. Its supposed to have that tube on it and snaked through the fender well to that round hole behind the headlight to pull cool clean air in from outside of the engine bay. Without it you are pulling in air from your fender well pretty much.

We make a LS/LT airbox with a 4" inlet. We designed these around the GM intake specifications. In most cases they have a 3 1/2 or 4" intake. Anything less than that will work but you will be restricting the intake. We are currently waiting on our fabricator to get another batch made up.

This is what I put in my 62. Works great. Only issues is the steel box collects huge heat soak. So I put a welding blanket on it. OP Armen in LA offered to build from scratch the OEM air housing that fit my 5.3. Looks stock and his work is 1000% and $$$ but may be worth it

IMG_7197.jpeg

IMG_7199.jpeg

IMG_6823.jpeg

IMG_7189.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom