V8 sudden loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, I gave my wife my 2006 v8 4x4 4runner and she’s experiencing something odd every now and again. I just experienced it today while driving, basically when you come to a sudden or abrupt stop the engine loses power when trying to accelerate and there is very little throttle response. It almost feels like the converter is not locking up. I had to pull over and shut it off and restart it to get it to accelerate. Once restarted it had a pretty bad whine from one of the pulleys.
I’ve experienced the sudden jerk when coming to a stop and then accelerated and it was fixed by greasing the shafts but this feels a lot different. Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Unsure about the torque converter being an issue (could try checking Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/22622-lock-up-torque-converter.html for troubleshooting). Could be the throttle position sensor going out, is it throwing any codes?
No codes unfortunately, but I think you are probably right on the throttle body. I had a situation months ago where I had a problem with the throttle body and I replaced it with a reman unit. I’m wondering if that is the culprit again. When the oem unit failed it threw codes for every cylinder misfiring. I’ll see if I can find another throttle body. Wish these things were drive by cable

I wonder if it's all power going out, like your alternator is failing? Happened to me once in a different car, but with some revs, it would produce enough power to keep going, but try to stall when stopping and the revs going down to idle.

Or perhaps fuel delivery isn't so good. Clogged injectors or bad fuel perhaps.

I wonder if it's all power going out, like your alternator is failing? Happened to me once in a different car, but with some revs, it would produce enough power to keep going, but try to stall when stopping and the revs going down to idle.

Or perhaps fuel delivery isn't so good. Clogged injectors or bad fuel perhaps.
I ended up forking over the 500 bones for an oem unit and the car has driven normal so far. Fingers crossed but I think that did the trick.

I ended up forking over the 500 bones for an oem unit and the car has driven normal so far. Fingers crossed but I think that did the trick.
Glad to hear it's just an Alternator, voltage drops can be a MFawker with electronics. How many miles are on your 4runner? is it the original unit?

Glad to hear it's just an Alternator, voltage drops can be a MFawker with electronics. How many miles are on your 4runner? is it the original unit?
I actually replaced the throttle body. I replaced it maybe 6 months ago with a refurbished eBay unit and it lasted until now. The oem are pricey but hopefully won’t need to mess with it for another 190k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom