V8 Heart Transplant for my California FJ60; will I pass smog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From talking with Georg(@orangefj45 ) and reading another thread, the process starting in 2019 became a LOT more problematic compared to old days.

First issue I saw in your initial post is wanting a 5.3L with a manual transmission. In Calif, that is like finding hens teeth. I'm not sure if CARB/Ref have issue with reusing same vin on tunes for swap engines.

Second issue I've read is CARB/Ref want class equivalent swaps; suv to suv, car to car, light truck to light truck. Car into suv is no longer considered valid. This issue further screws up your desire for a manual transmission. FJ6x is considered suv. I can't think of a 5.3L suv that came with a manual trans.

The big issue now days is CARB/Ref want ALL computers for OBD2 engines that are on the CANBUS in a donor car to be on the target rig; this is things like anti-lock, body computer, air bags, wheel speed, transmission, etc. They don't care if the engine computer actually uses any of this info or not.

Somewhat related to the above is now the ref is somewhat bypassed on OBD2 swaps. The whole swap is scanned from the PCM into the Calif database. From what I read, this is now permanently available and Calif can in the future use that information to flag your car if they decide to change the rules again.

OBD1 is somewhat easier because of none of the CANBUS stuff.

*EDIT*
Here is thread that is discussing swap where a guy posts his recent experience:

The local REF here rejects ALL 5.3 swaps due to GVWR from what 4-5 others have told me. Several have tried and NO DICE. Sounds like the REFs get a manual, read it or go by previous learning/dealings and then enforce what they comprehend/want to. I'll ask next time I'm with him on the 5.3. I know smog shops here are failing rigs with aftermarket long range tanks here now as well. Had this happen to two of my customers. Had to completely remove the tanks on both.

Also, if the O2 sensors are not within schematic design (+/-) 3" its an auto reject. If an OE cat assembly that has a CARB EO# has been cut and extended, auto reject....

Getting crazy and I live in the RED13/Jefferson State area of NorCal.

I thought the Envoy had 5.3L option and still in the same weight class as a 'small' SUV. I know trucks were out. Old Tahoe were being used for a bit.

Were the long range tanks being used as primary tanks or 'transfer' tanks? If they were transfer tanks, I'm shocked. Well, okay, not really.

Oddly, I was eyeballing either a 3.6L out of a Camaro or the twin turbo 3.6L out of a Cadillac for an S10 swap. Before 2019, it would be a legit choice. Now it sounds like no chance because not same vehicle classo_O

Not sure on Envoy. All I know is all these guys were rejected on a 5.3, have no idea what vehicle the donor was.

Both used as transfer. DOT nor CARB allows for any gasoline transfer tank independent or tied into the main fueling system. EVAP is not designed for the additional capacity and from what I've read and was explained to by the smog shop and REF that no fuel shall be pulled from the bottom of any tank. (Diesel is a different story, but must by MANUALLY transferred) I called several custom tank builders and once I said transfer they immediately said no for gasoline.

All the shops in Redding and surrounding areas are onto these transfer tanks, not only for cruisers, but Jeeps, Rovers, etc... A 2019 that came from out of state had 2000 miles on it and NO ONE would smog it. Tank and all fittings/parts were removed and reversed. Passed smog... Other was a "siphoning" design, homemade tank.

I highly recommend sitting down with the local REF and making sure it is an "acceptable" swap from their point of view. CA is NOT CA and every REF writes their own book from what I've experienced since I've been here.

For what its worth, just going to repeat what others have said. Your success on getting something through the ref will highly depend on the ref themselves. I would recommend talking to your local ref about what they want to see, you usually can request a call through the state scheduler to talk to your local ref. Also remember that nothing says you need to use your closest ref (at least it wasn't when I did it) if that person doesn't want to deal with it. You can go to any ref, so might just have to find one that is more friendly towards the swap.

Years ago I did a LS1 swap into a car and I was able to go through the process without much hassle. The ref basically just wanted to see all of the donor emissions equipment installed (EVAP, air injection (was an earlier LS1), fuel tank sensors, cats in OEM location, etc) and the motor to be in same configuration from the donor from the MAF to the rear O2s after the cat. Before the MAF and after the O2s he did not care. My first trip he didn't like that I used an aftermarket coupler between the MAF and Throttle Body which I had used to get a better angle on my intake pipe, so I wedged a highly collapsed OEM one in there and it passed. The ECM had VATS removed and had zero codes and all monitors passed.

Years later I went to the same ref location, but dealt with a different ref for another project car (not a LS swap, but SB100/SPCNS) and even though I was there to go through a different process, I could tell that my LS swap experience would have been different, probably a bit more picky on things.

Recently I have heard from a mechanic friend that a different ref at a different local location would not pass a truck that had a Vortec swap because the ECM had been flashed and VATS was removed. The ref said he was able to detect that it was flashed (how? I am not sure, I didn't think these older GM ECMs had a flag for such a thing like newer cars do) and required an OEM flash to be reinstalled, which of course means the owner has to figure out how to bypass VATS. Thankfully there seems to be some cheap $20 VATS bypass modules on eBay and such so the owner isn't completely screwed.

As far as diesel swaps, I am also going to say this will likely depend on your experience with local DMV and such. My friends and I have done diesel swaps on a few cars and all it took was a trip to the local DMV to have the title designation changed, ref was not involved.

For what its worth, just going to repeat what others have said. Your success on getting something through the ref will highly depend on the ref themselves. I would recommend talking to your local ref about what they want to see, you usually can request a call through the state scheduler to talk to your local ref. Also remember that nothing says you need to use your closest ref (at least it wasn't when I did it) if that person doesn't want to deal with it. You can go to any ref, so might just have to find one that is more friendly towards the swap.

Years ago I did a LS1 swap into a car and I was able to go through the process without much hassle. The ref basically just wanted to see all of the donor emissions equipment installed (EVAP, air injection (was an earlier LS1), fuel tank sensors, cats in OEM location, etc) and the motor to be in same configuration from the donor from the MAF to the rear O2s after the cat. Before the MAF and after the O2s he did not care. My first trip he didn't like that I used an aftermarket coupler between the MAF and Throttle Body which I had used to get a better angle on my intake pipe, so I wedged a highly collapsed OEM one in there and it passed. The ECM had VATS removed and had zero codes and all monitors passed.

Years later I went to the same ref location, but dealt with a different ref for another project car (not a LS swap, but SB100/SPCNS) and even though I was there to go through a different process, I could tell that my LS swap experience would have been different, probably a bit more picky on things.

Recently I have heard from a mechanic friend that a different ref at a different local location would not pass a truck that had a Vortec swap because the ECM had been flashed and VATS was removed. The ref said he was able to detect that it was flashed (how? I am not sure, I didn't think these older GM ECMs had a flag for such a thing like newer cars do) and required an OEM flash to be reinstalled, which of course means the owner has to figure out how to bypass VATS. Thankfully there seems to be some cheap $20 VATS bypass modules on eBay and such so the owner isn't completely screwed.

As far as diesel swaps, I am also going to say this will likely depend on your experience with local DMV and such. My friends and I have done diesel swaps on a few cars and all it took was a trip to the local DMV to have the title designation changed, ref was not involved.

The State would be in for a bit of a fight from us car guys. The Smog shops don't want to pay for this equip any more due to the sheer lack of customers that need this type of test. We're obviously a dying breed. So what then? The state bans all of them? Jay Leno will lose his sh!t! The state offers their own brand of smog shops? I doubt it... We'll see what happens. I guess like you... I don't have hi hopes. But one can dream...
What exactly did you tell the dmv when asking them to change from gas to diesel?

I strongly suggest to go to the local to you REF up at Chaffey College...just drop by and ask away.... best to hear it from the source,and not all the 30+ flavors you will get here......,,
Continue reading up on .org or .gov sites as the .com, .net might give you inaccurate info...

It is true that every REF interprets the law differently.... some are cool cats that will help you along, and others are A$%^%les.....

FYI: Depending on the year of the engine...a 5.3 was not offered with a MT that Im aware of, but the 2010 year might of....
4.8 and 6.0 had MT the rest were all autos........

at $500 a pop when they were willing to do it yeah.... that's now just a wet dream......

With all that said... its doable and probably a lil easier if you go with an E-rod CARB EO # engine

good luck....
$200 a month ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom