v8 conversion stick shift modification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
just thought i would post this , i always here or read about guys cutting off there shifter and welding it back on to clear the heater, isn't it as simple as taking the stock shifter and rotating it 180 degrees and bending the shifter back down to line up with the tranny only making one bend , bend the shifter down where i made the red line no cutting and welding ?? see pic in the first pic i am holding it in stock position ,second pic i am holding it 180dgrees to stock and just bend the end of the shifter back down to fit in the tranny .simple sorry for the brutal diagram the red square at the bottom is suppose to represent the tranny in the pics , how did everybody modify there shifter??
stock.JPG
bent.JPG

I used the sm420 shifter but I bent it like that. The retainer is a little trickie getting on and off but it clears the heater.

The shifter is rotationally symmetrical, so it can go in either way. As a practical matter, if you have enough heat to be able to bend it 90 degrees, you probably have enough heat to weld it. Either way, it is all good as long as it clears.

I just cut mine down a few inches and rewelded. was alot easier than heating and bending for me.

-Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom