Uwharrie News: Trail Closure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone – Attached is the environmental assessment, cover letter and the legal notice for the Rocky Mt. Loop Trail Segment and Kodak Rock Closure and Rehabilitation Project (also known as the Kodak Rock / Rocky Mountain Loop Trail Closure and Stabilization Project). This is addressing permanently closing and decommissioning the 0.85 miles of Rocky Mountain Loop Trail (TR 92) that is currently closed. The Legal Notice was published in the Montgomery Herald on March 27, 2019 and the 30 day comment period ends on April 26, 2019. Some of you have received this in the mail because you were on the original mailing list for the project and / or you commented on this project during the previous comment period when we initially sent out our scoping letters in August 2016. Feel free to comment on this project following the instructions in the attached documents.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Thank you. Bye - Terry

Attachments

• RML EA scanned Legal Notice 03_27_2019.pdf
    525.4 KB · Views: 281
  • scanned RML EA cover letter_03_25_2019.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 298
nails in the coffin.

We spent the better part of a day decommissioning it already. IE ripping out the posts that the club put in years before. I was under the impression we finished the job?

it was finished the cost to repair it was too great. this is just the "official" death certificate notification.

This is nuts. How many ways can this be funded?

1. Jeep sponsors the trail
2. Red bull sponsors the trail
3. Go Pro sponsors the trail
4. Monster energy sponsors the trail
5. BFG sponsors the trail - They are being notified today. Not sure anything will happen. They are all about local.
6. Chevy/Ford sponsor the trail
7. TreadLightly sponsor the trail
8. Go fund me account
9. Bud Light puts in a can recycling plant there - ;<)
10. They all work together

Last edited:
Its the damned knuckle draggers tearing up the trail. From the "I can do this with my 2WD, watch me" to the "I always use all my lockers every time I smell dirt" people. We can try to educate them, but so many of them can't take on any new knowledge. It is not "brand" driven either, I have seen 2WD tacomas trying to drive up what used to be that perfect little trail, with other morons cheering them on. Then the fooking moron posts "his great conquering of Rocky Mtn" on facebook for all to see. Pathetic behavior leads to pathetic actions to protect agaisnt that behavior.
The Southern Four WD Association has had a lot posts about this and many other areas lately, and the responses are so idiotic it hurts my brain to read. "Well, cows do worse damage than I do on my XXYY going 100mph crossing the stream" and sheet like that. Will get worse before it gets better.
Maybe I should have posted this on the rant thread....:rolleyes:

...and I thought it was some sort of significant archaeological find that shut Kodak down. Was that fake news and it was really just entitled rednecks? If that's true, why didn't they shut down the whole trail system? Rednecks are on every trail.

IMG_1884[1].JPG

It was something about an arrow head being found too close to the trail (that's simplifying it quite a bit) and the cost of redoing the trail around it.
But it may have grown through a game of telephone since then.

I didn't think it was going to reopen once it closed we were pretty much told that up front.

The reality is the central mountains are the some of the oldest geologically formed in the East, and that attracts archaeologists. I have driven some of them around and I get their perspective. But the more you lick an icecream cone, the more it gets smaller. In other words, ancient mountains "should" have more pre-historic sites, therefore attract more studies, and more studies find more artifacts. But who is to say if you have the same intense archaeological views in other areas, you will also find similar artifacts? Schrodinger's arrowhead?
And what I have seen, its not one brand or truck or another, redneck or not. The tear it up drivers are suburbanites from Charlotte as much as other places.

u mean these guys from Charlotte.

These MOs drove up at 12 at night and then rolled the LR, then 2 Toyota guys found them and they rolled it 2 more times to recover it. Drove it out. They were in street clothes, one had flip flops on and no camping or recovery gear. I think they said dude and bro and about 20 times each.

Best question from these guys, "brodude, What do you think insurance will say?"

lr1.jpg

lr2.jpg

lr3.jpg

Last edited:
Let's not forget "My Man and Brother Man" Both white guy interpretation of "My Brother"

Oy!

Don't do it Bro, it's a Ford Escape. No brah, this is a Land Rover. Seriously dude? It looks like a Ford Escape to me. No brah, it's got all wheel drive. It's a Land Rover. It's bada$$. Watch this....

I grew up with people of every just about culture so use just about every one out there. Growing up and through high school in LA I had
Black friends "Brotha, Brother, Homie"
Armenians "BRO!!!!!"
Hispanics "Homie, Holmes, Cabron, Carnal, Guey, Compa, Hermano, etc...."
Japanese "nakama"
Korean - but I forget the word they used most often
Jamaican - "mon"
Surfers/skaters" Bro, Bruh"
A few persians "Doostam" (i think that's how you spell it)
Could go on but wont

I kind of go back and forth between them all (well not the persian or japanese ones unless I know the person will understand it)

And hey look at that i'm now at 20k posts... and you know what that means.... there are only 13 or so people who like to hear themselves talk (type) or waste more time on mud than me ;)

Your right It's more than just the actual cost to repair the trail but, that was a large portion of it. I just didn't hash it out all out.

Exactly why I made this shirt.
D3C5F83B-6F71-4B6F-93D7-75187B2E4175.jpeg

Also. I saw the area just off Kodak that looked to be where they were doing some archeological digging. Plastic sheets covering a small section of ground. Hadn’t been touched in a long time, basically looked like a pile of trash.

Arrowheads are nothing special, really. We’ve found three in our own yard. Let’s hope all the environmentalists don’t figure out how plentiful they are or they’ll dig them up out of their own yards and dump them at URE in an effort to close another trail.

I'll add this: People still make stone arrowheads as a hobby. It's called flintknapping. Wonder what would happen if a modern day flintknapper dropped a few of his choice pieces on the bike trails or horse trails? Could an expert tell the difference? Would those trails get closed down too? What if a bunch of them were discovered along the Appalachian Trail? What about if they were dropped along I-77 where the toll road is being built? Would the project grind to a halt? When is an arrowhead just a rock and what lengths will the government go to to protect rocks that they have determined to be special rocks?

Arrowheads are just regular rocks that were manipulated in the past to be used as tools. I am thinking about graveling my driveway at home with arrowheads I find. That way they can be used as tools once again. Maybe not as hunting tools, but they will be put back to use as a tool to allow my car to make its way up into my garage. Is that wrong of me to do? Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom