Uwharrie first time - primitive camp spot location recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for any recommended camp spots on forest service roads in Uwharrie.

I'll be passing through for my first time on Friday night, regular camp sites are booked up, and I don't mind primitive. I just don't know my way around. I think OHV are closed still, but Forest Service roads are open right now?

Any directions to a couple nice camp spots that I could try to nab for a night?

well sucks. I forgot trails aren't open.

usually plenty of room at hunt camp or drive a little further, there are spots on the forest road between dutch john parking lot turn and the shooting range. As long at ther isn't a sign stating no camping your good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight... I gotta find that Forest Road on the map. I know Pisgah has a bunch of service road camp sites, but I don't feel like wandering around looking for them when I get there.

Do you know if ALL/most of the service roads have random campsites? Or is it just that one between Dutch John parking and the shooting range?

I can't get the Ranger Station on the phone, so begging for local knowledge lol.

look 2 post up on the ONSC sticky section.

hunt camp is at the center of the map far right side.
576 is the main forest road you will find camping between the Dutch john split in the road and the shooting range. you will also find a few spots just past the dutch john parking lot. there are lots of spots just drive around you will find a flat spot to camp.

Last edited:
there are spots on the forest road between dutch john parking lot turn and the shooting range.
Hey @fourtrax is FS 576 the stretch you were talking about with some sites along the side?

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 12.08.54 AM.png

the purple on 576 yes.
when you turn down 553 you have go past the Dutch John trailhead.

you can camp anywhere off the road that is NOT posted.

Last edited:
@roadstr6 you should bring Bucky out.
Helping @NY2NC out with a knuckle rebuild tomorrow. Besides, I’d rather wait and go when the trails are open. Bucky will be at CRR for sure. Maybe for the Meet and Greet too. We’ll see.

Helping @NY2NC out with a knuckle rebuild tomorrow. Besides, I’d rather wait and go when the trails are open. Bucky will be at CRR for sure. Maybe for the Meet and Greet too. We’ll see.
Come with! Trails are never closed...

Dibs on inspecting Bucky further.

Dibs on inspecting Bucky further.
Don't inspect it too close, Travis. I want it to pass! I'll slip you a $20 if I need to, to seal the deal.

Last edited:
Don't inspect it too close, Travis. I want it to pass! I'll slip you a $20 if I need to, to seal the deal.

i would never accept a bribe on a public forum. Haha!

Thanks for the insight... I gotta find that Forest Road on the map. I know Pisgah has a bunch of service road camp sites, but I don't feel like wandering around looking for them when I get there.

Do you know if ALL/most of the service roads have random campsites? Or is it just that one between Dutch John parking and the shooting range?

I can't get the Ranger Station on the phone, so begging for local knowledge lol.
Dang, late to the party. I live here so I can show you the best spots to camp or you are welcome to stay on my property. I suspect you are already set up some where in the forest. I need to get on this forum more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom