using oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '97 cruiesr with 118,000 is using about a quart of oil about every 1,000 miles, i am using 10-30, any ideas it is an emmisions equipment problem or what, i would not think it is the valve guides or the rings this early in the motor's life...any help on this problem?

What brand of oil???

Many, including myself have found Mobile 1 is used up by our rigs...at about your rate. I switched to Rotella T 5W-30 Syn...and have had ZERO oil issues.

TX_TLC said:
What brand of oil???

Many, including myself have found Mobile 1 is used up by our rigs...at about your rate. I switched to Rotella T 5W-30 Syn...and have had ZERO oil issues.

Do you mean Rotella T 5W-40?

You can get this oil at Wally World. More than a few folks have had reduced consumption with this oil.

Oil consumption can be a difficult thing to pinpoint. I once switched brands/weights and ate over 2 quarts in the first 1,500 miles, in a motor that was not using any Mobil 1 10W-30! Go figure.

Don't judge an oil based on just one drain/fill cycle. Often takes two or more to get a good baseline. The oil mentioned above settled down after the inital drink.

It is difficult to find a "poor" SL or SM oil these days. Some engines just prefer one or another. You may wear out your engine searching, but it'll be clean from all the oil changes!!

I xchanged my brand of oil to castrol magnatec 6 weeks ago, the oil lght came on the other day, me frowning big time as I have never had the oil light come on.
checked my oil and it was on the min mark on stick, ?????? no leaks found! I have probably done 4000 miles since last change to the oil light coming on.

rls1108 - Very intersting - I have seen about the same consumption using the Mobile 1 - I will have to try the Rotella T 5W-40 next oil change.

Derek

Why stray from 5W-30 as recommended weight?? Switching back and forth would seem to be begging for some weird difficulty.

tarbe said:
Do you mean Rotella T 5W-40?

You can get this oil at Wally World. More than a few folks have had reduced consumption with this oil.

Oil consumption can be a difficult thing to pinpoint. I once switched brands/weights and ate over 2 quarts in the first 1,500 miles, in a motor that was not using any Mobil 1 10W-30! Go figure.

Don't judge an oil based on just one drain/fill cycle. Often takes two or more to get a good baseline. The oil mentioned above settled down after the inital drink.

It is difficult to find a "poor" SL or SM oil these days. Some engines just prefer one or another. You may wear out your engine searching, but it'll be clean from all the oil changes!!

yeah 5W-40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom