1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using oil

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by rls1108, Jul 23, 2005.

1. rls1108

rls1108

My '97 cruiesr with 118,000 is using about a quart of oil about every 1,000 miles, i am using 10-30, any ideas it is an emmisions equipment problem or what, i would not think it is the valve guides or the rings this early in the motor's life...any help on this problem?

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

What brand of oil???

Many, including myself have found Mobile 1 is used up by our rigs...at about your rate. I switched to Rotella T 5W-30 Syn...and have had ZERO oil issues.

3. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!

Do you mean Rotella T 5W-40?

You can get this oil at Wally World. More than a few folks have had reduced consumption with this oil.

Oil consumption can be a difficult thing to pinpoint. I once switched brands/weights and ate over 2 quarts in the first 1,500 miles, in a motor that was not using any Mobil 1 10W-30! Go figure.

Don't judge an oil based on just one drain/fill cycle. Often takes two or more to get a good baseline. The oil mentioned above settled down after the inital drink.

It is difficult to find a "poor" SL or SM oil these days. Some engines just prefer one or another. You may wear out your engine searching, but it'll be clean from all the oil changes!!

4. snowwolfwarrior

snowwolfwarrior

I xchanged my brand of oil to castrol magnatec 6 weeks ago, the oil lght came on the other day, me frowning big time as I have never had the oil light come on.
    checked my oil and it was on the min mark on stick, ?????? no leaks found! I have probably done 4000 miles since last change to the oil light coming on.

5. Harridig

Harridig

rls1108 - Very intersting - I have seen about the same consumption using the Mobile 1 - I will have to try the Rotella T 5W-40 next oil change.

Derek

6. FatDaddy218

FatDaddy218

Why stray from 5W-30 as recommended weight?? Switching back and forth would seem to be begging for some weird difficulty.

7. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

yeah 5W-40