Using KDSS to help remove front coilovers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hiluxforever

SILVER Star
Threads
If you take the driver's side coilover out first you can use a jack to push the KDSS ram up and use the sway bar to push the passenger's side LCA down to get the strut out.

Video link - saw it here

20230526_215754.jpg

I had to get creative to get everything back together, and I just was able to get the bottom bolt through after rigging up all of this to act as a second person using a prybar

20230527_101852.jpg

20230527_101911.jpg

20230527_101915.jpg

Reactions: r2m
On the driver's side the breaker bar slipped and launched me into the wheel well. Thankfully just bruised my noggin and my pride. Used the handle of my channel locks to line up the hole on one side and pushed the bolt through from the other. I also jacked up the passenger side LCA to leverage the kdss on the driver's side down. Now just have to tighten bolts and the front is done.

I didn't mark the alignment bolts on the side I broke loose so I am going to try to guess where it was and hopefully it's OK. The passenger side is locked in place due to rust.

20230527_112136.jpg

Now, THAT's sandbagging it!! :rofl:
Yeah, that way I was able to load up that pry bar with quite a bit of weight, including the sandbags, the tire and my 240# ass.

Not sure how to remove the rear coils without a spring compressor so I will wait on the spacers

I had a bear of a time removing and swapping the rear coils and front for that matter. I used a set of cheap spring compressors and some ratchet strapes to get the rears in/out. Stupidly I removed the rear upper links thinking that would help, it did but getting them back in was a pain, I don’t reccomend that route. The ratchet strap helped more than the spring compressors as they get in the way.
For the front, I saw a neat trick, remove the lower ball joint from the lca side, the lca can then swing down easier. DO NOT remove the ball joint nut, I did that, bungled the threads, had to cut the castle nut off and then re cut the threads on the end of the ball joint… oooftah

I had a bear of a time removing and swapping the rear coils and front for that matter. I used a set of cheap spring compressors and some ratchet strapes to get the rears in/out. Stupidly I removed the rear upper links thinking that would help, it did but getting them back in was a pain, I don’t reccomend that route. The ratchet strap helped more than the spring compressors as they get in the way.
For the front, I saw a neat trick, remove the lower ball joint from the lca side, the lca can then swing down easier. DO NOT remove the ball joint nut, I did that, bungled the threads, had to cut the castle nut off and then re cut the threads on the end of the ball joint… oooftah
Yep, the only thing I removed were the two bolts holding the spindle to the balljoint assembly on the LCA and then I loosened the LCA alignment nuts and manipulated them to get more droop. I used a bottle jack on the rear axle to get more space but it was definitely a pita.

All I do is remove the hydraulic clamp on the front sway bar.
I didn't disconnect it, I used it to make the whole project easier, which it was.

You missed the point, it's using the KDSS to help remove struts without a spring compressor, so you don't have to touch the kdss, but you do you.

Are you saying if the KDSS valve hex nuts are rusted/stuck, its not necessary to loosen it to replace coilovers if using this method?

Are you saying if the KDSS valve hex nuts are rusted/stuck, its not necessary to loosen it to replace coilovers if using this method?
Correct, you actually use the kdss as a lever, remove drivers side first and put it back last.

does it work for the URJ200 in the same exact way or any difference in method??
I can only speak for 150 chassis, but the physics should be the same.

If you take the driver's side coilover out first you can use a jack to push the KDSS ram up and use the sway bar to push the passenger's side LCA down to get the strut out.

Video link - saw it here

View attachment 3333387
Used your method today, minus the LCA business. Worked out great. Thanks for posting it.

At 116K, my factory shocks/struts were ready for a refresh.

IMG_20231208_140559378.jpg

The marriage between the rod and nut was a strong one. This morning was exciting. 🥳

The 5100s are riding nice though. Peter's Mill Run tomorrow I hope. Got to even out the gouges in my skids.

They will break in a bit, too. I love em. Glad I could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom