US Spec. February 1990 Poverty 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The goal is to make it look as stock as I can.

I don’t have plans to install a part time kit but I would like to install some low range transfercase gears down the road. If I did go part time that would be the ideal time to do it.

I am not sure I am convinced going part time is worth the investment, so I don’t know.
going part time isn't really worth it, I don't think. My main reason for doing it was to stop any front driveline vibes due to lifts. There's zero mpg savings IMHO. If that 80 is going to remain as close to stock as possible, then doing the low range mod may not be worth it as the V8 has plenty of torque and that five speed has a decent 1st gear too.

There, I saved you ton of $$. Beers on you the next time we cross paths. :flipoff2:

going part time isn't really worth it, I don't think. My main reason for doing it was to stop any front driveline vibes due to lifts. There's zero mpg savings IMHO. If that 80 is going to remain as close to stock as possible, then doing the low range mod may not be worth it as the V8 has plenty of torque and that five speed has a decent 1st gear too.

There, I saved you ton of $$. Beers on you the next time we cross paths. :flipoff2:

This is what I thought from what I have read. I appreciate you experimenting with your rig to help steer me straight. I always up for a beer.

I am planning to install a 2.5 - 3 inch lift and run 33 tires but I would like to add 35s but don’t want to regear the diffs any time soon. I have a set of 4.56 gears but will wait until I drive what I have and see how it does. If it needs an adjustment somewhere to make more drivable then I’ll make it happen.

I want the low rang gears for trail use but maybe I won’t need them.

This is what I thought from what I have read. I appreciate you experimenting with your rig to help steer me straight. I always up for a beer.

I am planning to install a 2.5 - 3 inch lift and run 33 tires but I would like to add 35s but don’t want to regear the diffs any time soon. I have a set of 4.56 gears but will wait until I drive what I have and see how it does. If it needs an adjustment somewhere to make more drivable then I’ll make it happen.

I want the low rang gears for trail use but maybe I won’t need them.
Low range Tcase gear are a great addition for trail use !! IMO
And you don't owe me anything;)
If we ever meet up I will buy the beer :cool:
Great build thanks for posting!

At this point most of the engine bay is about done except for cleaning up the battery wiring to swap it over to the driver side instead of the passenger side.

I need to figure out what need to do to wire in the factory e-lockers. I have everything I need from another harness but I’m not sure how much will be plug n play or will need modified.

I had some time to start working on the interior. I am planning a full interior swap for this truck, so pulled the rest of the carpet out and found the prior owners were using the 80 as a piggy bank. It paid me $6.02, one Bamboo Buck, and a restroom token. It won’t last long though.
IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

I was originally thinking that I would reuse the carpet after power washing it but it is pretty old. Anyone have any suggestions for good factory like fit replacement carpet?

I thought the same about carpet. I located a good used one locally as I wanted to keep the same color carpet. I recently stumbled oversea that someone was selling oem carpet from this 91-93 era. I want to say it was nos. I’ll have to track down where I saw the carpet. I’m pretty sure it was on Instagram.

I thought the same about carpet. I located a good used one locally as I wanted to keep the same color carpet. I recently stumbled oversea that someone was selling oem carpet from this 91-93 era. I want to say it was nos. I’ll have to track down where I saw the carpet. I’m pretty sure it was on Instagram.
If I could get NOS carpet I would definitely be prefer that. I appreciate the help if you can find that link.

I searched using my vin and found it was not available directly from Toyota.

Last edited:
This older thread seems to have some happy carpet customers, and they are still around from what I can tell

This older thread seems to have some happy carpet customers, and they are still around from what I can tell

I read this thread. Not my first choice but I am considering it as an option.

I chopped up a good K&N intake to make this for the 80.
IMG_9165.jpeg

After sanding the chrome powder coat off, it got a fresh coat of paint and installed.
IMG_9177.jpeg

I spent the day checking off little things before the first start. Today was supposed to be the day but it won’t fire.

Just a refresher, but I paid to have my harness built so I could run a manual transmission. Per the wiring instructions there really is only 4 wires I have to hook up to have this motor start and run. I have gone through it multiple times and checked all the grounds and fuses. The ignition system and ecu have power, the engine has fuel.

I checked it for codes and only see one for P0705. Looks like this is related to the transmission neutral safety switch but this is not used in my application. I have reached out to the harness builder to see if they have any suggestions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom