US auto insurance companies for 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just went through all this. Most "classic car" insurance companies will not insure a daily driver. They track this with a mileage limit. Since I drive my HZJ77 daily, this wouldn't work. I believe this includes Hagerty whose limit was 2000mi a year on a "classic car."

Grundy was the only company I found that would do what I needed. A classic car / daily driver / stated value policy.

However, I am on Travelers Insurance for all my other vehicles. Since I did not want to go through the hassle of moving all my other vehicles to Grundy (although I probably should have), I got Travelers to do a stated value policy on the HZJ77. This was a massive pain and required and independent appraisal of the HZJ77, which ran around $200.

Using State Farm. Tried safeco, corporate sent a letter after my policy opened and canceled my policy due to it being no U.S. also got quotes from progressive that they ensured me it would be no issue, but that’s what I was told by safeco too… so State Farm it is for now (at stated value of 20k)

The US insurance companies don't really like insuring something from 1993 for over $30K+, especially if it wasn't sold new here. I currently have a policy stated at $36K with Hagerty. I have mine set up as a daily driver although I don't daily drive it.

The US insurance companies don't really like insuring something from 1993 for over $30K+, especially if it wasn't sold new here. I currently have a policy stated at $36K with Hagerty. I have mine set up as a daily driver although I don't daily drive it.
I probably should increase my value… I was going to use hagerty, but it wasn’t any cheaper and at the time I only had 2 cars on state farm so I needed multiple for another discount. I don’t daily it anymore, I have barely even started it the last year! I’ve never dealt with hagerty for a claim so maybe that’s something to research.

It was originally $25K but last year Hagerty said I was setting the value too low and recommended $36K. It didn't raise my payment much at all.

USAA does it for me. Have to be eligible for it though.
Can you elaborate? I use USAA for all insurance needs but they would not do a stated value policy for my HZJ75 so I had to just list it with them as a "1993 Toyota Land Cruiser" (US market FJ80), which means the most they would probably cover it for with the mileage being what it is would not be enough to cover the actual replacement value. Hagerty denied me after they tricked me into saying that I planned to take it off-road sometimes ... d'oh! I'd love to get a stated value policy with USAA but they insist they do not offer stated value policies. Any add'l info you can provide to the contrary would be helpful.

USAA does it for me. Have to be eligible for it though.
I wish I could use USAA but I am not military or ex-military. USAA headquarters are about 5 miles from my house.

Hagerty denied me after they tricked me into saying that I planned to take it off-road sometimes ... d'oh

Hagerty never asked me what my plans are with the vehicle but they did want pictures of where I will be keeping it. Must be a garage or carport.

Some big name insurance companies use Hagerty through a broker.

Anyways, I appreciate all the replies. I was just trying to see if there are better options out there. My main insurance company won't touch the cruiser despite my long positive relationship with them, at least not for stated value.

Anyways, I appreciate all the replies. I was just trying to see if there are better options out there. My main insurance company won't touch the cruiser despite my long positive relationship with them, at least not for stated value.
My insurance company said the same thing. They finally relented after I suggested and appraisal. You may try that maybe.

For what it's worth, most appraisals land at whatever you want them to land at. It's kind of sad.

Curious how it works when someone hits you and they/their insurance company is liable for your damaged "collector car". I'm guessing you would have to "prove your damage"/vehicle value... Common sense would say a person at fault is liable for his action / damage he does to your car no matter where you park it at night or how many miles a year you drive it. (This excludes the fact that some people have no money no insurance and no ability to pay).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom