Upgrade or replace gauge/instrument lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting a new double din radio installed and the existing instrument cluster panel is cracked and needs replaced. While I’m doing this, I was wondering if I could upgrade the Lights for each gauge because they aren’t that bright now. Do these lights get more dim over time? Are there LED replacements available? How hard is it to replace the light bulbs? Are there any other items I should look at replacing since I’ll have the instrument cluster panel will be off?

Not sure about the 62 cluster, but I did all bulbs on mine like many on here....the hardest part is getting the cluster out and back in.....connecting all the plugs and speedo cable with just enough room to get your hands in there. Superbrightled.com is your friend. It is a HUGE improvement to stock. My blinker indicators are so bright I had to block some of the light behind them. Just ordered the last few bulbs.....the glove box light and festoon bulb behind the AC controls.

Not sure about the 62 cluster, but I did all bulbs on mine like many on here....the hardest part is getting the cluster out and back in.....connecting all the plugs and speedo cable with just enough room to get your hands in there. Superbrightled.com is your friend. It is a HUGE improvement to stock. My blinker indicators are so bright I had to block some of the light behind them. Just ordered the last few bulbs.....the glove box light and festoon bulb behind the AC controls.
How do I know what bulbs to order from superbrightleds.com?

Well, they have a search by vehicle section that works ok......but this should help I think?
Again I have zero experience with the 62, but I know some of the clusters and gauges are interchangeable.
There are more, like the the lights I mentioned above and dome light....etc. You might want to turn it on and take note of the colors as you can specify led bulb color on these. I bought, red green, blue, and amber.....choke and 4wd lights....etc. I'll report back when the ac controls and glove box bulbs come in.
All these are quarter turn left to get out. The defrost is two bulbs per switch.
Also the search feature in this forum and google are your friend
2022-09-22 21.33.13.jpg
2022-09-22 21.34.48.jpg
2022-09-22 21.37.47.jpg

I used this chart to replace all my interior (except blinkers as heard they were too bright as LED) and exterior bulbs (except headlights) with LEDs. I think a handful of exterior (reverse maybe?) were not available so I found on ebay:

Also, if you plan to upgrade your exterior blinkers, you'll need to modify/replace a relay. Super easy:

Also before ya dig into dash, grab a Vessel JIS screwdriver or two.

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

do you know there is a rheostat to the left of the steering wheel that controls the brightness of the bulbs? I'm sure upgradiing to LED bulbs is nice but you should make sure the rheostat is working properly too. The LED dome light upgrade is great, but frankly I've never had any problem with the instrument lights being too dim.

I stole this pic from a google search:

1663935595432.png

do you know there is a rheostat to the left of the steering wheel that controls the brightness of the bulbs? I'm sure upgradiing to LED bulbs is nice but you should make sure the rheostat is working properly too. The LED dome light upgrade is great, but frankly I've never had any problem with the instrument lights being too dim.
My dimmer still works normally. I'll say for my 62 the upgrade to LED was well worth it. Gauges were previously candle-lit.

Also, any chance I have to reduce the draw on the electrical system is a win to me.

Once I determined the correct bulb sizes / types, I actually found some warm white LED bulbs on Amazon and used them for my dash. You get the advantages of LED without the light being quite so harsh / overpowering. You can also control them with the dimmer. Either way, I agree that it's well worth the upgrade.

+1 for JIS screwdrivers, especially the Vessel brand. It will make jobs like this - and any other cross-point screw on the truck - much easier.

Bulbs are all covered above, but can confirm the gauge cluster uses 194 bulbs.

I don’t know how you guys tolerate the LEDs in the dash gauges, just way too intense and distracting to sight looking through the windshield, especially in very dark areas.
I’d love to change to low draw LED if they could be toned down significantly.

The green covers/condoms can be removed from the incandescent bulbs to lighten them up, tried that too but the whiter light was kinda blah, so I went back to the old skool original green.

If anyone has a solution to a less intense light, I’m all ears.

Do the LED lights dim with the rheostat?

Do the LED lights dim with the rheostat?
Yes. Mine (in two different 60s) cut off completely when the rheostat is at about 20% though. I generally leave them just above that threshold - as dim as they go seems just right for me. Brighter than the stock incandescent bulbs, but not blinding like when the LEDs are turned up to max.

They definitely dim on my 84 with the existing rheostat . The only thing that is bothersome is the blinker arrows, but you can make those less bright as mentioned above.

I stole this pic from a google search:

View attachment 3121651
Yes, I have it cranked all the way up and it’s still very dim.

I must be an idiot, but I can’t match up the led part number on the 1988 FJ62 bulb swap chart with the part numbers on superbrightleds.com. Also, I found the search by vehicle tool but it didn’t pull up very many options either.

I must be an idiot, but I can’t match up the led part number on the 1988 FJ62 bulb swap chart with the part numbers on superbrightleds.com. Also, I found the search by vehicle tool but it didn’t pull up very many options either.
The Part # column on the spreadsheet is a link to the product page in most cases. If that doesn't help feel free to message me.

1664220757113.png

I don’t know how you guys tolerate the LEDs in the dash gauges, just way too intense and distracting to sight looking through the windshield, especially in very dark areas.
I’d love to change to low draw LED if they could be toned down significantly.

The green covers/condoms can be removed from the incandescent bulbs to lighten them up, tried that too but the whiter light was kinda blah, so I went back to the old skool original green.

If anyone has a solution to a less intense light, I’m all ears.
I found some white LEDs that are the same dimensions as the OG incandescent bulbs. This allowed me to use the original green condoms to create a dimmer look and closer to original color. They will dim and the original covers tame that bright LED look that just floods the gauges with light.

SEALIGHT 194 LED Bulbs 6000K White, 168 2825 T10 W5W 3030 Bright LED Chips, Dome Light, Map Light, Door Light, Courtesy Light, License Plate Light, Pack of 10 https://a.co/d/0uZ8OFX

do you have a picture of how these LEDs look in the dash. I just ordered the above list from Superbrightled but I’m interested in a less intense look, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom