Upgrade front bumper?? Remove AHC?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 98 LX470. I need to upgrade the front bumper and get a winch too.
What recommendations does anyone have?

Also I am thinking that I should remove the AHC, which is functioning properly, because I do not want it to fail while I'm out wheeling'. And I'd like to get more aggressive tires too. I will need more clearance so I will need a lift. Any suggestions for lifts on a LX470?

I ran my 98 LX470 with an Ironman Bullbar for a year with AHC and saw zero issues. I did have to crank the TBs a few turns to get back to neutral pressures, but was fine from there on even wheeling over rocky passes in CO. Unless you plan on going "all-in" on your rig (rear swingout bumper, rack, RTT, drawer system, dual battery, etc.), I see no reason to rip out a perfectly functioning AHC system. There are others here that have built out their rigs and still run AHC, though they replaced the rear coils with beefier versions from King.

If you go with a bullbar, be aware, the grill on the LX is attached to the bumper and will hit the bullbar when opening if you don't plan for it. I fabbed up new spacers that have a 1/8" declination so that my bumper is ever so slightly angled down. It's not noticeable unless you know to look for it. But, my grill clears the bullbar with no issue.

A synthetic line winch will only add about 95lbs (maybe even less) to the front. Nothing a crank or two of the TB can't mitigate to keep neutral pressures inline.

I have run my 2001 with AHC and a ARB Sahara bar with winch. Just adjust the suspension accordingly, per geanes suggestion. I recommend an AHC spacer lift from Japan 4x4, if you want to keep it economic.

If you really want to go much bigger, expect to shell out $$$.

ARB Delux bar 100%. get the 03+ bumper though, its a direct bolt on, and you have the option to get fog lights, where on the 98-02 you can't. My family has owned ARB parts and bumpers for 10+ years and are happy with every single one.

You don’t need a lift to go to 33” tires w ahc. I have 285/75/16’s with the AHC and have yet to rub. If you read the faq’s, even with a lift, 33’s are about the max on a 100 series. There are a couple guys w 35’s but they’ve done crazy mods.

You don’t need a lift to go to 33” tires w ahc. I have 285/75/16’s with the AHC and have yet to rub. If you read the faq’s, even with a lift, 33’s are about the max on a 100 series. There are a couple guys w 35’s but they’ve done crazy mods.
Ok thank you. That is great. I'll jump into the FAQ's

Heres a link to a thread I started when I pulled the AHC tb's. It's a good option If you decide to keep the AHC.

Heres a link to a thread I started when I pulled the AHC tb's. It's a good option If you decide to keep the AHC.

Thank you!

I have a 98 LX470. I need to upgrade the front bumper and get a winch too.
What recommendations does anyone have?

Also I am thinking that I should remove the AHC, which is functioning properly, because I do not want it to fail while I'm out wheeling'. And I'd like to get more aggressive tires too. I will need more clearance so I will need a lift. Any suggestions for lifts on a LX470?
How big of tires are you trying to run? 33s fit fine with no rubbing. If you go larger you also will need to start considering regearing.

I will be running 32 or 33's
No need for a lift since 33's fit fine with no rubbing. A healthy AHC is not any more likely to fail on the trail than any other hydraulic system on the vehicle (brakes, power steering, fuel system) so unless you're swapping those out too, it's not necessary. If you want to maintain as much available payload as possible with the AHC, take a look at the aluminum front bumpers that some vendors are producing (@Kavik and @benc come to mind) to save some weight.

What kind of luck have you guys had longterm with the AHC on the LX470 with a winch bumper and 9K winch on the front? Have just a few cranks to the torsion bars brought it down to proper pressure? Also, how has it held up over the years? Thanks so much, Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom