Update! Az Engine Swaps "ouch" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hmmm .... crazy stufff smog peeps do like like god too...

I think a lot of people who run these inspection stations just want to do their job and not get their license revoked or get in trouble with the feds. Therefore it’s a lot easier to blindly cite a general idea and rule out non OEM setups which I completely understand. These stations are likely not legal scholars when it comes to understanding the regulations. Better to go to the main office and have that discussion or go through the epa branch office with the paperwork.

I think a lot of people who run these inspection stations just want to do their job and not get their license revoked or get in trouble with the feds. Therefore it’s a lot easier to blindly cite a general idea and rule out non OEM setups which I completely understand. These stations are likely not legal scholars when it comes to understanding the regulations. Better to go to the main office and have that discussion or go through the epa branch office with the paperwork.
I have talked to an EPA representative about a 3B Diesel engine I’m bringing in from Canada.
he stated that if I install it in a USA fj40 it would viol the clean air act As there is no EPA certificate for this engine in the FJ40 as it was never imported in that configuration.
he told me that the 25 year rule would not apply as putting the 3B (1985). In to a 1972 FJ40 would by their interpertation would be creating a new vehicle and would have to be OBD II compliant. And meet emission standards as of the year installed.
Not sure how they would enforce this as no federal emission test requirement, maybe thru state testing in states that have them still.

????

any thoughts out there about this.

In Vermont we have no sniffer test. Just a visual check and an OBD check if equipped. So different states and different rules.

832A39EB-8424-48B5-8A63-DFF6812B3F21.jpeg
568FF182-60A0-4F08-918C-9BFDDA6C9467.jpeg
17F1DA0A-2BCB-40C0-8692-B61878D87A6A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom