UORTC Events for 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Posting up UORTC courses / other stuff going on up at his place. These are off road courses / just going off road with a coach helping guide you thru the trail system. I know most folks on here know about all there is to 4 wheeling off road and these classes are not directed towards you. We teach SAFETY number 1. He has 4wd 101 courses and 202 courses and even winching courses lined up throughout the year. These classes are directed toward the beginner / intermediate folks that want to learn more about there vehicle and how to wheel safely. it is also good for a refresher for folks also. I know some folks on here have taken the course and can attest to the level of professionalism in the course.

APRIL 25TH is a winching course.

MAY 16th is a 35/30 Spring Coach and Drive event on private property.

JUNE 27th is a 4WD-101 course

JULY 11TH is a Master Tread Trainer course.

JULY 25TH is a 4WD-202 course

Last edited:
hey I know this is pretty old but I searched for 'beginner trail' and this popped up. 1st time LC owner, bone stock, and we gotta try it out man!!! :D

Are these courses still a thing? If not could somebody recommend a good beginner trail or trail system to try near Charlotte? We're an easy drive to Uwharrie and can day trip to the mtns too. Needs to be appropriate for a bone stock 200 with Michelin Defender tires - street SUV. Yes we're gonna do it anyway!

some googling after seeing what UORTC turned up here doesn't look good :(

www.uortc.com

abandoned domain registration. I'm assuming they done.

hey I know this is pretty old but I searched for 'beginner trail' and this popped up. 1st time LC owner, bone stock, and we gotta try it out man!!! :D

Are these courses still a thing? If not could somebody recommend a good beginner trail or trail system to try near Charlotte? We're an easy drive to Uwharrie and can day trip to the mtns too. Needs to be appropriate for a bone stock 200 with Michelin Defender tires - street SUV. Yes we're gonna do it anyway!
At Uwharrie, Wolf Den and Falls Dam are your easy trails. Get a trail map and a trail pass from the Outpost on Hwy 109. Those two trails are the ones we do with all the old trucks at the Carolina Relic Run. Many of the relic trucks are bone stock and too nice to take on tough trails, so we take it easy on them. Your 200 will do these two trails with ease but you'll get some decent trail time behind the wheel and they will leave you with a sense of what the URE system has to offer. I would suggest buddying up with another truck regardless of how easy the trails are. It is a long walk back to civilization if something bad happens. There are some sharp rocks and we have had street tire punctures even on the easy trails. Do yourself a favor. Don't go out there on street tires if it's raining, about to rain, or just rained a couple of hours before. Wolf Den in particular has some greasy red mud that will get you in trouble real quick. Have fun!

Paging @Izzyandsue What's going on with UORTC and Big Creek now that Scott is not around? OP wants info. on training classes.

Last edited:
DecreedIt, the old driving school OURTC was sold to Overland Experts a few year ago. Surprised they didnt pick up the URL. They have 3 private properties where they do training and trails. I think they are pretty awesome compared to the national forest, challenging but without the crazies. Anyway, reach out to them, on the website or direct to Mike Morrison ( mike@overlandexperts.com ) and see when the next 101 class is. I do teach with them when needed as their instructors are I4WDTA certified ones (and I am one), but haven't seen the summer schedule yet.
If they dont have a 101 class, I know they do offer private classes in the same trails. No better way to learn how to enjoy your rig than spending a day at a school and seeing what it can do!

Thanks, Izzy! @DecreedIt Izzy is our resident training expert and an all around good dude.

This reminds me of the first time I went out to URE. I went out there with my wife’s H3 by myself. Even though the h3 had lockers I’m so glad i had better tires than stock. It had been raining and I didnt know what to expect. I didn’t even understand how to put it in 4 wheel drive let alone lock it.

I ended up riding with a group of Nissan guys I tagged along with at the outpost.

This was around 11 years ago. Knowing what I know now I would say. Make sure you have a decent understanding of your vehicle and it’s capabilities. I would also have some sort minimal recovery gear. Especially since it’s been raining and you don’t have at least all terrain tires. I would also link up with a group so you don’t go out there by yourself.

Also,
Post up when you plan on going. Maybe someone else from the club will be out there that day.

you guys rock, thank you so much. I'll check out the overland experts classes with interest. Great tips on the tires, was hoping to pick up some decent off road wheels & tires as the 1st official upgrade, might have to wait a bit. We bailed on this weekend due to rain. Next is in play.

Like others have said it can get a little slick after a rain. Even the easy trails can become difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom