Unsolvable: CS-144 Alternator charges and then stops working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like SteveH's Idea with the one wire conversion. I converted a cs144 to one wire over a decade ago and have not had any issues. I have done it to other engines since, all with great results.

So, I had my CS144 alternator tested at Autozone.com. Ya, I know, not the best. The Duralast bench test (repeated 4 times) revealed that all three components had failed: diode, voltage regulator, and rectifier.

I still need to have the battery checked, but it seems to hold a charge with no problem.

I think I will try the one wire conversion. Thanks.

curious ?

you mention up top the original 55 amp alternator could not keep up with your system

did you have that one tested prior to the install of the GM one

perhaps the OEM one was simply bad or going bad and dying on you in the beginning

just a alternative point of view not brought up yet ?

if you still have it a solid diagnosis on it could help solve this issue 100%

\
matt
Matt,

Thank you for the great observation. I did install a rebuilt original 55 amp alternator after installing my rebuilt engine etc. That alternator worked well until a test drive up a Colorado Springs gravel road (Rampart Range Rd accessed through Garden of the Gods park). This mild ascent toward Pikes Peak was okay at first. But, as the engine started to heat up and both cooling fans started running and with headlights on in the dark, I started losing electrical power. My headlights dimmed considerably and we were worried that we wouldn't make it down the hill. After turning around, in the snow, and the engine started to cool down and the fans shut down, the headlamps returned to about full power. So, in practice, it seems that the 55 amps was insufficient.

I would create a situation with a separate light bulb to get your charge light to come on (and go out) as it should. I would temporarily bypass the Toyota dash light relay and bulb. I rewired a 6v Ford tractor and used a light bulb to excite the alternator into charging.

Some diagrams and ideas here, although using the GM 10-si alternator:

I installed a GM 1-wire alternator on my '65 FJ45 (with an '83 2F engine) and it was super simple, had 85 amps of current, and was (of course) incredibly easy to wire. If you get desperate, that might be an option.

I am about to be desperate!

Another follow-up. I had my AGM battery load tested at Batteries Plus, where I bought it in 2017, and the battery is in tip top shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom