Unofficial Cruise Moab April 18-21 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It appears there is group interest in doing Lockhart Basin Trail. If we left early Thursday is it reasonable to think we could drive up and start the trail with the plan to camp along the trail somewhere and finish it Friday? Anyone that doesn’t want to checkout Cruise Moab could bail if they wanted. After checking out the event find a good place to camp and do Chicken Corners Trail Sunday morning and head home.

I have no idea how long it is worth hanging around the CM event. If it is an in and out kinda deal we could consider another trail Saturday afternoon.

Thoughts, opinions, other ideas?

@alia176 what do you think of that?

@pappy is this enough to talk you into going?

I agree, if we left early enough from ABQ Thur a.m., we should be able to camp on Lockhart basin trail. Chicken corners is at the North end of LB trail so we can knock that out before we get spat out on top of Moab.

Doing Chicken corners from Moab takes you pretty far out of Moab, then you have to retrace your step back to Moab before heading home. FYI.

Here's the beginning of Lockhart basin trail 38.17549, -109.66655

Pappy - if you want to depart the day before, I'd camp at the Superbowl campground. It's dust free and not full of traffic, unlike the beginning end of Lockhart basin trail. It's a favorite campground for climbers. 38.14399, -109.62298

Our first camp spot could be here on the trail, depending on bunch of things! 38.21277, -109.67896

Just my thoughts.

I could go for a Lockhart fix...checking schedule

I agree, if we left early enough from ABQ Thur a.m., we should be able to camp on Lockhart basin trail. Chicken corners is at the North end of LB trail so we can knock that out before we get spat out on top of Moab.

Doing Chicken corners from Moab takes you pretty far out of Moab, then you have to retrace your step back to Moab before heading home. FYI.

Here's the beginning of Lockhart basin trail 38.17549, -109.66655

Pappy - if you want to depart the day before, I'd camp at the Superbowl campground. It's dust free and not full of traffic, unlike the beginning end of Lockhart basin trail. It's a favorite campground for climbers. 38.14399, -109.62298

Our first camp spot could be here on the trail, depending on bunch of things! 38.21277, -109.67896

Just my thoughts.
Would it be better to head out Chicken Corners later on Saturday and camp out there somewhere? Then finish it Sunday morning and head back home after.

Is there a better trail to do that aligns with camping Saturday night and heading out Sunday?

Is planning something for Sunday morning craning too much in.

Is it worth hanging with the CM group later on Saturday and camping closer to town, then just heading out Sunday morning?

For all those interested in this trip. I spoke to @alia176 today and he is going to take over the group organization for this trip. He is much more familiar with where we are going and can better inform those interested in going for what to expect. I am still going and will join the group as you pass by headed up 550.

Thanks Alia for taking this on.

For all those interested in this trip. I spoke to @alia176 today and he is going to take over the group organization for this trip.

I have been bugging Ali to run Lockhart. There is no way I'm passing this up.

I have been bugging Ali to run Lockhart. There is no way I'm passing this up.
Now you’re making me want to drive the 83’ mini up to wheel Lockhart with you guys!

Bring it and join us!
I’m gonna do some figuring and try to make it!
The mini is SLOW uphill, it does have 5 speeds for flat and downhill travel, so at times can do 70 mph😊.
I got to weld on my marlin crawler sliders and rejet the carb and install vinyl floor kit but that shouldn’t be a problem.
1000003922.jpeg
IMG_2332.jpeg

Here’s a map showing south start near the highlighter pen. Up past Hamburger rock camp. The trail is high lighted in yellow, and towards the top is Chicken Corners in orange.

Last edited:
We did Lockhart Basin last year and wow the last part coming down the canyon was rough, we pretty much belly flopped over a huge rock. Even with lockers, I don't think we would have made it going up instead without a winch. Just beware that if you haven't gone in a few years it is more challenging than before.

Here are a couple videos from last year that shows what I'm talking about:

There are also some difficult ledges when going south to north:

Have fun!

Last edited:
For all those interested in this trip. I spoke to @alia176 today and he is going to take over the group organization for this trip. He is much more familiar with where we are going and can better inform those interested in going for what to expect. I am still going and will join the group as you pass by headed up 550.

I'm happy to organize this trip!

Alright, so let's plan on meeting at the Home Depot in Bernalillo Chicky's coffee in Bernalilloat 7:30-7:45am on Thur 4/18/24. It'll take us close to six hours to get to the trailhead from Bernalillo.

Once we reach the trailhead, we should be able to find a decent spot within two hours of starting the trailhead. I'm not very rigid when it comes to finding a spot, whatever looks good and is sheltered from the winds.

Friday morning we'll continue meandering northbound and stop whenever/wherever we feel like. There are old mines we can check out, and/or we can hike down to the river. On sat we can run to Chicken Corners overlook and grab lunch before heading northward toward Hurrah Pass. We can decide where we want to camp sat night. If we go up/over Hoorah pass, we'll end up on Kane creek road where multiple established campgrounds are set along this road. Campgrounds are easily accessible by everyone and the dirt road will be busy. I don't camp off this road but everyone is free to choose!

We can opt to go into Moab, grab a shake at Milt's, we can do that. Gearheads Outdoor Store - Moab - https://www.moabgear.com/ has free potable water if you want to top off. As of now, I think camping at Sand Flats Recreation Area · Sand Flats Rd, Moab, UT 84532 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/AbyNXZdZ5DvYAsup8 is a good potential because it's fairly close to Moab.

I'd like to visit some friends in the Cruise Moab headquarters which will be Spanish trail fairgrounds.

Sunday morning we have choices. If you want to run Hell's Revenge or Fins & Things, we'll be right there. We might opt to get breakfast at Moab diner before heading home.

That's a tentative plan rolling around in my head. Nothing is fixed, and most of you know, I like to wander and take random turns to find "that" spot for the night. If you want a rigid itinerary, you're plain SOL 😁

Vehicle requirements: sliders, skids, decent tread. High clearance will mean less stress for you. Your suspension will be properly exercised on this trail!

COMM: 146.400 If you're running a Baofeng handheld radio, please consider purchasing a magnetic mount external antenna so that I can hear you, no matter how far back you are. @lurch can suggest a nice kit he purchased.

Please pack a decent spare tire, along with spare parts and be completely sufficient.

Fuel: I'd suggest bringing 10g extra fuel. Our last fillup will be at Monticello, UT and having extra fuel means we can be relaxed about our meandering. My 80 has a 14g aux tank. There's a gas station at the private Moab Outpost, but you never know if the pumps are working. The cost / gal will be high.

If you're bringing a MTB on a hitch receiver, it'll get tagged on coming down waterfalls and large rocks in the "sketchy" section. Bikes on the top of a roof will be fine as long as you use extra straps to eliminate side to side movements.

Please have the ability to air down/up and carry all recovery equipment. Chances are we won't be needing to recover much but I'd like to be over prepared.

Well, that's all I got. Let me know if there are any questions.

Attendees:

1. Ali & Johanna
  2. Pappy
  3. William - maybe
  4. Gabe
  5. Dennis
  6. Ron
  7. Chris (not on Mud)
  8. Steve

Last edited:
Thanks against @alia176 for organizing this.

I am excited for the trip.

Count me in!

As a data point, last time I ran Lockhart we started in Bluff with a full tank, went through comb ridge, up and over bears ears into canyonlands Bobby’s hole - elephant hill, and then Lockhart to Moab. Thinwas in the 5th gen 4R on 33s with 20+gal in the stock fuel tank. Trying to take it easy on the gas (no idling, 2H as much as possible, etc…) I was able coast into Moab on fumes.

Count me in!

As a data point, last time I ran Lockhart we started in Bluff with a full tank, went through comb ridge, up and over bears ears into canyonlands Bobby’s hole - elephant hill, and then Lockhart to Moab. Thinwas in the 5th gen 4R on 33s with 20+gal in the stock fuel tank. Trying to take it easy on the gas (no idling, 2H as much as possible, etc…) I was able coast into Moab on fumes.

That's a lot of distance on one tank, holy schmoly!!!!

Epic trip and CM crash party! Looking forward to pics and details of the trip and bootleg CM highlights 👍👍👍👍

I've been workin on the mini truck, installed new cab mount bushings, and activated some go-go gadget sliders!
I really need to re-gear, but one thing at a time, or two or three!
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg
IMG_2377.jpeg
IMG_2379.jpeg
IMG_2380.jpeg

What gears do you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom