Universal Aluminum Bed Rack Custom Fit for 3rd Gen Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a ladder rack for the bed of my 2019 Tacoma occasionally to haul things like kayaks, ladders, lumber, steel tube and pipe. Sometimes I need to haul these things over 300 miles, so having them stick up out of the bed not only looks like the Beverly Hillbillies, but it is dangerous and can cause problems at the drive through if you forget about them.

Yakima, Thule and others make some really nice rack systems that are specifically designed to bolt on to the Tacoma bed rail system, but if you have looked into any “universal fit” or generic racks, you probably already know that most of them do not play nice with the Tacoma (and Tundra) rail mounts. There are some universal racks that use “J bolts” that can grab the top of the Toyota rail, but they generally do not seem to be strong enough at least for my taste. The other issue is that most of the generic racks are about 6-8 inches taller than you would need for a Tacoma causing problems with getting in and out of my garage. There are some adjustable height racks, but these do not look very sturdy, and a common complaint is that they whistle, which would bother me on a 300 mile trip. The welding on some of the adjustable and non-adjustable aluminum rack looks questionable and there have been reports of welds cracking in the reviews. That left the possibility of customizing a universal rack to fit my Tacoma.

Harbor Freight has a pretty nice looking universal aluminum rack that seems sturdy based on comparing the thickness of the mounts and clamps and gets good reviews and is quiet at highway speeds. It is also bolted together, so you can cut the uprights to whatever height you want and then just tap the new hole and bolt it up. The clamps for the base plates clearly would not fit the Toyota rail system, but there were some good photos of them with a Tacoma bed that it looked like it would be possible to modify them to work. The other possibility is generic bed cap clamps that engage the Toyota rail. These would clamp without modification, but their top profile does not fit the profile of the rack base and they seem flimsy as there are reports of them bending and breaking and the product literature warns you not to torque more than 7.5 foot pounds. There are aluminum racks using these Toyota-specific clamps marketed specifically for Tacoma and Tundra, but they are about twice the price of their “universal” rack. I was ready to pull the trigger on the HF rack and the Toyota specific bed cap clamps would be my plan B if my plan A of modifying the original clamps didn’t work out. Before I bit, I took a look at Amazon and I found a rack that looked identical to the HF rack, but for $80 less, so I went with that one instead.

The HF version is called the: Haul Master 800

The Amazon one is called: Elevate Outdoor ATR Rack V2

The first thing I did was measure the original clamps for the rack with their base plate and found that the bottom of the clamp would fit nicely in the Tacoma rail if I cut 22 mm (7/8 inch) off the bottom end and drill and tap a new M10 1.5 hole centered 10 mm (7/16 inch) from the new cut end. I cut the clamp ends with a Sawzall using a 12 tpi non-ferrous metal / wood blade because I couldn’t figure out a good way to clamp them to my 10 inch miter saw. If one of those clamps got loose cutting it with the circular saw it could ruin your day. See pictures 1. 2 and 3. This also required drilling a hole in the bottom of the rail for the clamp bolt to pass through (picture 4). You could also cut a slot, but drilling a hole is easy and it worked fine. A minor issue is the head of the clamp bolt is very close to the plastic bed liner, so turning the bolt head with a wrench scratches the plastic. It is also a PITA was to tighten the bolts, so I bought 8 new M10 1.5 x 50 mm cap screws that can be tightened with an Allen wrench instead. See picture 4. Be aware that the rails are not symmetrical and that there is a front and rear end. You can swap them left to right side, but not flip them front to back. This means to be sure that you mark which side is the bottom to drill. You also have to decide where to locate the holes. I chose 3 1/8 and 7 ¼ for both front and back ends as this allows me to mount the racks as far apart as is possible on the bed. I also used a ½ inch hole. It took about an hour to modify the clamps and rails.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

The next issue was the rack height. I temporarily assembled the racks and mounted them on the bed and measure how high they were above the antenna fin on the roof. I found that this was just shy of 6 inches. I decided to cut 5.5 inches off each upright. I used a 10 inch compound miter saw with a non-ferrous metal blade that I use to cut aluminum trim and it cut them like butter leaving behind a pile of aluminum chips. See picture 5

The next task was to tap new holes in the upright posts. The good news is that you don’t have to drill a hole. The existing hole in the extrusion is the proper diameter. The bad news is they use 30 mm M10 1.5 button head cap screws to mount to the base plate and top plate. That is a pretty long hole to tap in 6061 aluminum. If you have tapped this aluminum, you probably know that there is a tendency for the chips to smear in the threads between the tap and the hole, which makes it harder to turn the tap and you might end up breaking the tap. The M10 tap is pretty big, but they are also hard, brittle and can snap. I started tapping and I could only tap about 5 turns before it got too hard to turn the tap wrench without assistance of a cheater bar. This worried me a little bit, so I tapped a test hole in the scrap and found that the tap was unlikely to break. I started out using motor oil as a cutting lube, but I also tried using Teflon lube for bicycle chains and this seemed to work marginally better. With the cheater bar and the Teflon, I could tap about 12 turns without backing out the tap and cleaning it, which meant that I could tap each hole in 2 tap runs. This was pretty tedious, but I finished tapping them and with all the fooling around in about an hour. I cleaned out the holes with carb spray and then soap and water and let it dry and then assembled it with the provided Locktite 241. You also need to drill a new hole for the bracket bolt on the cut end. It drills easy but drill it from both sides with the cap on for best results. It went together pretty easily and I am happy with it so far, but I haven’t put any load on it. See pictures 5, 6, 7.

thumbnail_IMG_2641.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2642.jpg

Picture 6.jpg

Picture 7.jpg

Picture 8.jpg

Thanks! It is not a lot of extra work to get a nice rack custom fit for your taco for $200

That is a real nice professional rack that is full length. You need to carry stuff for a living.

this one is not me, my siding and gutter sub - can't believe he hauled that. 54 feet long. IIRC

Mercy. Those are some heavy loads. Long too. It might be more than the carrying capacity of the rack. I can’t imagine that the aluminum rack would handle even 400 pounds in a panic stop. It would fold up like a cheap suit.

agree, I mainly want the rack for hauling 16 foot sections of trim. I hate getting trim delivered and prefer to pick it piece by piece (I'm the same with any lumber but especially with trim). I don't buy a lot of steel but a rack would be nice for those 20 foot sticks.

I had to lay about 300 ft of MDF base this summer before I got the rack and draped the 16 ft sticks over the top of the cab which was covered with a furniture pad. That stuff is pretty floppy. Fortunately I only had to drive 2 miles.

yea when I do stuff like that I'll buy a couple of 2x12's and strap it all together or if it's not a lot I'll bring a ladder to give it some rigidity. Thats why I want that rack it - makes that kinda stuff easy.

The next issue was the rack height. I temporarily assembled the racks and mounted them on the bed and measure how high they were above the antenna fin on the roof. I found that this was just shy of 6 inches. I decided to cut 5.5 inches off each upright. I used a 10 inch compound miter saw with a non-ferrous metal blade that I use to cut aluminum trim and it cut them like butter leaving behind a pile of aluminum chips. See picture 5

The next task was to tap new holes in the upright posts. The good news is that you don’t have to drill a hole. The existing hole in the extrusion is the proper diameter. The bad news is they use 30 mm M10 1.5 button head cap screws to mount to the base plate and top plate. That is a pretty long hole to tap in 6061 aluminum. If you have tapped this aluminum, you probably know that there is a tendency for the chips to smear in the threads between the tap and the hole, which makes it harder to turn the tap and you might end up breaking the tap. The M10 tap is pretty big, but they are also hard, brittle and can snap. I started tapping and I could only tap about 5 turns before it got too hard to turn the tap wrench without assistance of a cheater bar. This worried me a little bit, so I tapped a test hole in the scrap and found that the tap was unlikely to break. I started out using motor oil as a cutting lube, but I also tried using Teflon lube for bicycle chains and this seemed to work marginally better. With the cheater bar and the Teflon, I could tap about 12 turns without backing out the tap and cleaning it, which meant that I could tap each hole in 2 tap runs. This was pretty tedious, but I finished tapping them and with all the fooling around in about an hour. I cleaned out the holes with carb spray and then soap and water and let it dry and then assembled it with the provided Locktite 241. You also need to drill a new hole for the bracket bolt on the cut end. It drills easy but drill it from both sides with the cap on for best results. It went together pretty easily and I am happy with it so far, but I haven’t put any load on it. See pictures 5, 6, 7.

View attachment 3538419

View attachment 3538424

View attachment 3538425

View attachment 3538426

View attachment 3538427
That looks great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom