2017 Tacoma Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 2017 Tacoma that I'm using as a college pickup. Wish I would have found a manual but the 2.7 Auto is alright ( 22RE is what I'm used to in a small pickup). The biggest annoyance that I've had with this pickup is that it doesn't stay in 6th gear on the highway too well. The previous owner put a lift and large tires and I'm guessing that's making the problem much worse. I don't need the lift and I would actually like to use my bed for work. Returning the rear back to factory ride height seems simple enough but the front seems more difficult.

IMG_D94146BC7215-1.jpeg

The left pic is my front coil spring while the right pic is of another Tacoma's coil spring I saw in a parking lot:
IMG_ACCA54F73EFA-1.jpeg
IMG_500BB792A52C-1.jpeg

It looks I'll have to track down a rubber grommet and some other parts but other than that it doesn't look like he put on different shocks or other parts. Will taking off a coil spring mess up the alignment? Is it something that requires a lift or can it safely be done in a garage?
Maybe its not worth messing with but gaining a few MPG and people not thinking I'm a D-Bag seems worth it to me. Thanks

They all hunt on the highway in 6th. My stock TRD off road cannot for the life of it keep the converter locked while doing highway speeds. Its always locking and unlocking and downshifting. Front what I hear it can be tuned out. Your front lift is just a spacer. Remove the spacer that is sitting on top of the strut and re-install it. Spacer lifts are the cheapest and easiest lift to install.

I'll look into getting it tuned although I know nothing about that (again 22RE and FJ40s are my territory). Gear hunting sounds like something that would wear out the transmission/converter eventually so would a manual swap be an option later on? Thanks!

I'll look into getting it tuned although I know nothing about that (again 22RE and FJ40s are my territory). Gear hunting sounds like something that would wear out the transmission/converter eventually so would a manual swap be an option later on? Thanks!
In theory its not the best for a trans, but obviously toyota makes good transmissions and as long as it can stay cool it won't have an issue.

After a few fill-ups I had 20.8 as my best MPG and 15.9 as my worst. Going down the interstate at 75-80+ with furniture and a bench vise is when I got my worst. I don't usually drive all that fast but sometimes it's nice to.

The engine feels like it has enough torque to stay in 6th gear, but when going over 70 in hills it likes to bounce between 4th and 5th. I wish I could program manual mode to be completely manual with keeping it in gears and all. Since this engine has variable valve timing and more I don't see why it would really need to go up to 3-4 thousand rpm to make power like an old single cam carbureted engine.

Mine came with 245/75 16 and I went to 265/75 16. A bit taller and wider

It doesn't like 6th on the freeway under 70 any more. It will drop back and forth to 5th if the grade changes or my foot changes. I leave it in 5th on the freeway and no higher then 4th on streets. It doesn't bother me to leave it in a lower gear and the hunting is better then other 6 speed autos I've driven (other brands).

FWIW I have a ShiftSensePro 2.1 ordered which is supposed to be here tomorrow for mine. It's a small module that plugs into the OBD port and thru some sort of wizardy either tricks the TCM or over rides the TCM with different shift patterns/behavior. So I can update if its an improvement when I install it and get some seat time.

FWIW I have a ShiftSensePro 2.1 ordered which is supposed to be here tomorrow for mine. It's a small module that plugs into the OBD port and thru some sort of wizardy either tricks the TCM or over rides the TCM with different shift patterns/behavior. So I can update if its an improvement when I install it and get some seat time.
Have you had the chance to test it out? How does it do? Those OBD port plugs can sometimes be nothing but snake oil!

Have you had the chance to test it out? How does it do? Those OBD port plugs can sometimes be nothing but snake oil!
yeah it's installed. It's a pretty drastic difference for a simple and relatively cheap mod. There's some things I'm not a huge fan of, but I haven't messed with any of the modes other than what it defaults to. (it has 3 modes, 1 is mild, 2 is medium, and 3 is performance. It is set at 2 when you get it.)

Actually, theres only one thing I'm not a huge fan of, and thats the 4-5 shift. It likes to hang out in 4th gear when I feel like it could make a shift to 5th but in all actuality it's not that big of a deal, I'm just picky.

The highway stuff it still seems to do. Locking and unlocking the converter and making downshifts, but it's better than it was. Around town is where you notice it the most.

Really its fine in town, It's on the highway where I notice the transmission the most. When it comes to automatic 6 speeds I'm used to an Allison which I can decide when it shifts just by using my foot (a whole lot smoother as well).

Now I'm working on breaking loose the bolts so I can get it lowered back down.

It looks I'll have to track down a rubber grommet and some other parts but other than that it doesn't look like he put on different shocks or other parts. Will taking off a coil spring mess up the alignment? Is it something that requires a lift or can it safely be done in a garage?
Maybe its not worth messing with but gaining a few MPG and people not thinking I'm a D-Bag seems worth it to me. Thanks
Didn't see this answered...

Grommet may actually still be there - covered by the spacer. If not, ToyTec usually has them.
Yes - easy to do in the garage.
Yes - you'll need an alignment

Will it increase mileage by a point? Maybe... can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom