Undercarriage rust prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pel

Threads
Greetings all. Can anyone verify the efficacy of POR15 for proofing the undercarriage of
LC100? Although I have had some under sealing work done on my 2002 under warranty (recently bought the car) there are areas “missed” such as the bits the bumpers are attached to. I am hoping to DIY the work. Any info will be much appreciated.
regards

I used POR15 on my rusty frame bits + fluid film inside the frame. I reapply fluid film in spring and fall. An interesting comparison of rust converters was just done on Project Farm. Definitely confirmed my por15 choice.

How often do you need to reapply por15 to frame?

Isn’t POR = Paint Over Rust? I think it converts rust. But I have heard it’s super messy

How often do you need to reapply por15 to frame?
I did it late last summer. From what I can tell it work well and I don't see a need to re-coat. I do have some areas I missed and will try to reapply. Be aware it's a messy job. Try not to get it on your skin, it's a pain to get off.

POR is more or less epoxy. You guys are crazy for considering spraying the entire undercarriage with that crap. I don’t think that’s the intention of that product. I’ve used it extensively. Stuff is a mess. Has its place but not as an undercoating.

A lot of this depends on your starting point. If you are starting with a new or clean vehicle, all you need is a good prevention program. Fluidfilm, woolwax, cosmoline...whatever you think does a better job. As others have mentioned STAY AWAY from rubberrized undercoatings as they trap water. Actaully even POR15 done inproperly will have the same problems if I understand correctly (I haven't actually used it). If you are starting with a rusty frame, you really have to put in a lot of work to clean, neutralize, and then paint the exiting surface before you start applying additional prevention. Also, you will never get all those little nooks and crannies on an older vehicle. So, for a dirty rusty frame, annual fluid film or woolwax might make the most sense.

Last edited:
POR15 is "Paint over rust" paint which encapsulates rust. I really like how it works. It works great on surface rust

Not messy, just be careful and slow with it. I buy x6 packs of tiny cans, because you won't re-use same can once opened.

I use foam brush and just "tap" those rust places, don't need much and don't want it to "run".

This is just easy and quick way to stop and encapsulate surface rust on a frame.

-------------

For prevention (after spots treated with POR 15) - I use Cosmoline spray. This is just like fluid film and others. Spray over everything undercarriage.

Reactions: pel
POR15 is "Paint over rust" paint which encapsulates rust. I really like how it works. It works great on surface rust

Not messy, just be careful and slow with it. I buy x6 packs of tiny cans, because you won't re-use same can once opened.

I use foam brush and just "tap" those rust places, don't need much and don't want it to "run".

This is just easy and quick way to stop and encapsulate surface rust on a frame.

-------------

For prevention (after spots treated with POR 15) - I use Cosmoline spray. This is just like fluid film and others. Spray over everything undercarriage.
So POR stops surface rust dead and stops rust developing further on treated areas?
How would one prevent/treat potential rust from forming inside frame?

So POR stops surface rust dead and stops rust developing further on treated areas?
How would one prevent/treat potential rust from forming inside frame?
Ok, to be clear - rust is a cancer. You can't "stop it" unless you get rid of it 100% which is not doable in a scope we do it.

POR 15 contains acid which transforms rust and then adds layer of paint on top. UV will break it (but OK for frame). It just makes it look better. And I don't think rust will come from "inside" in case of SURFACE rust we see.

For inside frame - no luck. But spraying inside with stuff like cosmoline will help because it will displace water and help with protecting existing metal/rust from water and oxygen.

Those things is just to slow down rust. And cosmoline/etc need to be reapplied especially places where it can get washed off.

Ok, to be clear - rust is a cancer. You can't "stop it" unless you get rid of it 100% which is not doable in a scope we do it.

POR 15 contains acid which transforms rust and then adds layer of paint on top. UV will break it (but OK for frame). It just makes it look better. And I don't think rust will come from "inside" in case of SURFACE rust we see.

For inside frame - no luck. But spraying inside with stuff like cosmoline will help because it will displace water and help with protecting existing metal/rust from water and oxygen.

Those things is just to slow down rust. And cosmoline/etc need to be reapplied especially places where it can get washed off.
Got it.

cosmoline over por-15 is interesting

So the frame, rear axle, etc. seems easy enough to wire wheel, needle gun, sand, etc. and then your choice of rust converter + barrier (wool wax, fluid film, Krown, etc.). My underside of the body though is rough in some spots that are hard to get to prep in any way. I imagine simple spraying some kind acid treatment/neutralizer and then just barrier spray (Krown in my case) is better than nothing (I'm not sandblasting and pretty sure there's no dry ice treatment places around me) so I at least that should slow it down and let me keep an eye on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom